What's new

Shavette And Barber Razor Enthusiast (SABRE) group

My SR arrived today and I posted a SOTD photo in the MWF thread, as I was also test driving the new 2024 reformulation of MWF (yes, they have reformulated it yet again).

I didn't have much stubble to remove after yesterday's excellent shave, but you know how it is when you have a new razor, you are itching to try it out!

I like it a lot. No problems at all with the angles and it has completely quelled my desire for a DX - this one works just fine. The fresh Feather Pro was a leeteele harsh on first use, as they can be, but the results were an incredibly close shave.

Very satisfied indeed.

View attachment 1807890
Looks really nice!

Guys,

Some help pls. What is the difference between:

KAI Captain Holder Standard Razor CAP-SDR

and

Standard Folding Straight Razor R-type 1 razor by Kai Razors CAP-R7 ?

How would they compare to Feather Dx? I find the price difference is only 50 usd in the bay and I am considering to get an original AC razor.

Thanks !

I bought my Kai Captain Standard from Maggard Razors and it had this description:

"Kai Captain Standard R-Type Folding Straight Razor Shavette, Black Handle"
SKU:
KAI-R7-FOLDING-RAZOR

I also have the Feather DX with wood handle.

From reviews I have read:
The DX weighs more, has a bulkier head, heavier scales, and has more blade exposure.
Kai weighs less, is sleeker, more maneuverable, and has less blade exposure.

I find the DX with wood handle to have a better balance due to the heavier scales. The Kai scales are a light plastic material. I also find the DX requires more concentration and a lighter touch.

I like both but since I picked up the DX more recently, I have been spending more time with it to get better acquainted with it.

The DX weighs more, has a bulkier head, heavier scales, and has more blade exposure.
Kai weighs less, is sleeker, more maneuverable, and has less blade exposure.

On the Captains, I wonder if it is just an SKU change.

It is interesting to the me that the Kai is sleeker. My Captain clone is definitely not sleeker than my DX clone - it's a chunkier profile and it's wider across the spine. I know one is a kami and one is a folder, but I am talking specifically about the business end. Is that not the case for the real Captain?

On the Captains, I wonder if it is just an SKU change.

It is interesting to the me that the Kai is sleeker. My Captain clone is definitely not sleeker than my DX clone - it's a chunkier profile and it's wider across the spine. I know one is a kami and one is a folder, but I am talking specifically about the business end. Is that not the case for the real Captain?
The lack of detail on the differences with the Kai razor models/SKUs drives me crazy.

Here are the current models/SKUs for the Kai line:

Take a look at this post that has pictures comparing the DX, SS and Kai Captain:

That whole thread goes into details on those three and is a good read.

Take a look at this post that has pictures comparing the DX, SS and Kai Captain:

That whole thread goes into details on those three and is a good read.

That's really interesting - makes the real Captain look a lot more appealing than I would have thought!

I found an old post here explaining the difference from Kai Sku and R9. The Sku seemed to be zamac where the other type is stainless steel.

I've got the wood Kai, and the head on that one is the most unique/different of the Kai lineup. It's got the ridges/depressions in the hollow of the blade holder, and a slight bump at the edge. The spine is noticeably thinner than my DX Woody, but a hair wider than my SS and SR.

The Kai Woody (CAP-RW) may be my best shaver in terms of comfort and ease of use. I wish Kai offered it in the Japanese style, which I am coming to prefer over the folders.

20240308_151003.jpg

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I think the top line of Kai is Excelia..
You are correct.... I should have been more clear.... the top Kai folding razor is the Woody.. at the moment. Though I did find a carbon fiber scales folding Kai the other day. I'm not sure if it's a limited edition. Plus, they could bring back the folding Excelia when they so choose.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
You guys probably all know this, but I didn't until @Mr. Shavington told me yesterday. Kai is the mother company and owns Feather. I thought they were just two competitors.... I've been using AC blades for 2 years but I'm just starting to learn how to use an AC barber razor.

I've only used the Kai Excelia so far, but I have my Woody with me and plan to try it in the next week, before we head home.

I was buying some Kai Titan Mild "Pink" blades in bulk from a Japanese company on eBay and noticed they also had a Feather DX folding razor at a very good price so I have that coming along with the blades. I'll compare the bumps on all three and see what I think. You guys already know this stuff but I'm new and a bit ignorant. I doubt I'll ever catch up... but hopefully, I'll learn how to shave with all three and have fun doing so.

Mr. Shavington

Knows Hot Turkish Toilets
You guys probably all know this, but I didn't until @Mr. Shavington told me yesterday. Kai is the mother company and owns Feather. I thought they were just two competitors.... I've been using AC blades for 2 years but I'm just starting to learn how to use an AC barber razor.

I've only used the Kai Excelia so far, but I have my Woody with me and plan to try it in the next week, before we head home.

I was buying some Kai Titan Mild "Pink" blades in bulk from a Japanese company on eBay and noticed they also had a Feather DX folding razor at a very good price so I have that coming along with the blades. I'll compare the bumps on all three and see what I think. You guys already know this stuff but I'm new and a bit ignorant. I doubt I'll ever catch up... but hopefully, I'll learn how to shave with all three and have fun doing so.
I’m sure most people think Kai and Feather are different companies. From the way the products are marketed it appears to the customer as if they were separate, Feather products don’t have any Kai branding on them, and the privately owned Japanese company structure is quite opaque unless you do some research. But Feather has always been just one of Kai’s product lines or trade names.

I've got the wood Kai, and the head on that one is the most unique/different of the Kai lineup. It's got the ridges/depressions in the hollow of the blade holder, and a slight bump at the edge. The spine is noticeably thinner than my DX Woody, but a hair wider than my SS and SR.

The Kai Woody (CAP-RW) may be my best shaver in terms of comfort and ease of use. I wish Kai offered it in the Japanese style, which I am coming to prefer over the folders.

View attachment 1808972
Really interesting. My clone is almost like your Kai visually.

Today I had the third shave with it a Kai Protouch (3) blade. This combo is working perfectly for me for several reasons :
- Kai Protouch blade is sharp enough and protects you from any error
- you get shaved with fewer passes which helps the post shave skin feeling.
- using the Shavette is the best gym exercise for your head in the morning

The only cons that hinders me to use as primarily system as probably all know themselves is the price of the blades compared to De razors. It is a bit scary to think to buy 200 or 300 Ac blades.

PXL_20240310_082935520.PORTRAIT.jpg

The only cons that hinders me to use as primarily system as probably all know themselves is the price of the blades compared to De razors. It is a bit scary to think to buy 200 or 300 Ac blades.

How many uses are you getting from a blade?

It's true that it's easier to be frugal with DE if you have to. I did some calculations based on uses of Feathers, which were my main DE blade for years and are obviously at the most expensive end of the scale (although I do use cheaper blades too).

10 Feather DE blades = £3.60. Cost per blade = £0.36. At 2 shaves per blade, cost per shave = £0.18
20 Feather AC blades = £16.80. Cost per blade = £0.84. At 4 shaves per blade, cost per shave = £0.21
30 Schick AC blades = £16.20. Cost per blade = £0.54. At 4 shaves per blade, cost per shave = £0.14

Some people claim to get many more shaves out of an AC blade, although when I tested I found that 5 or 6 shaves was probably as far as I want to push one. I also used to get more shaves from a DE blade, but nowadays I find the blade starting to get ragged during shave 3, so I quite while I am ahead at 2. Still, even if I swap out an AC blade after 4 shaves, you can see that using Feather AC blades is barely more expensive than DE shaving, and using Schicks (which are probably my favourites) could actually work out cheaper on a cost per shave basis.

It's all academic anyway. The amount of money I have spent on razors over the past couple of years makes the cost per shave in blade use fairly irrelevant! :eek2:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune

It's true that it's easier to be frugal with DE if you have to. I did some calculations based on uses of Feathers, which were my main DE blade for years and are obviously at the most expensive end of the scale (although I do use cheaper blades too).

10 Feather DE blades = £3.60. Cost per blade = £0.36. At 2 shaves per blade, cost per shave = £0.18
20 Feather AC blades = £16.80. Cost per blade = £0.84. At 4 shaves per blade, cost per shave = £0.21
30 Schick AC blades = £16.20. Cost per blade = £0.54. At 4 shaves per blade, cost per shave = £0.14

Some people claim to get many more shaves out of an AC blade, although when I tested I found that 5 or 6 shaves was probably as far as I want to push one. I also used to get more shaves from a DE blade, but nowadays I find the blade starting to get ragged during shave 3, so I quite while I am ahead at 2. Still, even if I swap out an AC blade after 4 shaves, you can see that using Feather AC blades is barely more expensive than DE shaving, and using Schicks (which are probably my favourites) could actually work out cheaper on a cost per shave basis.

It's all academic anyway. The amount of money I have spent on razors over the past couple of years makes the cost per shave in blade use fairly irrelevant! :eek2:
I couldn't agree more... Razor blades, both DE and AC are ummmm "disposable"...... Their cost pales in comparison to the razors and brushes I've bought over the past two years.

I have done the same reasoning on blade cost as you.

I shave 6 days a week. I get about 2 weeks of shaves with a De blade (10 - 14 shaves easily). This year I used 2 blades with at least 20 shaves each.

I don't have a lot of experience with Ac blades. I checked my posts and once I pushed around 20 shaves with a specific blade. I suppose I need 18 up to 25 Ac blades per year.

My personal issue is that I have to pay 10 euros for any shipping order. I would love to have some quantity. Plus as much as I like Ac blades, paying 100 euros for 150 Feather proguard from Japan is too much. I could get 700 Bic blades for that amount.

Universal Lama intera is my preferred De shavette and it is very mild. I am tempted to buy another De shavette with balde angle covered like Vanta or Focus. Or give another try to straight razor ( I am failing in that format).

I agree this hobby has nothing to do about saving... 😂

Top Bottom