What's new

Shave Stand for Duke 3

Hello All,

I just got my duke 3 today....and it looks nice. I'm still defunking it, but I'm impressed already. Unfortunately it doesn't fit in my stand...I was cutting it close with a 24mm opening...and a 23mm knot. Doesn't fit.

Please suggest metal shaving stands that would fit the duke 3 nicely. Best would be one that fits in the handle notch rather than right on the knot. Also I would prefer one that holds a DE as well, but if you have just a brush stand that works for you I'd like to know about it. If you remember where you bought your stand that would be helpful as well.

Thanks guys!

Ha, you're good at enabling...but then I'd need two stands...

I'm thinking I could just get a round wire brush stand...but I want to make sure it fits right, so if anyone has a stand that works with their brush let me know.

Ha, you're good at enabling...but then I'd need two stands...

I'm thinking I could just get a round wire brush stand...but I want to make sure it fits right, so if anyone has a stand that works with their brush let me know.

I was always in the group who believes a brush should be inverted after use, but a year on, and after reading the many posts on B&B, I have converted to sitting the brush on it's base, upright, to dry after rinsing. The money saved can be spent on other goodies of the shaving order. :thumbup:

David

One of my brushes hangs in a stand that I bought when I started, the other sits upright. I anticipate that there will be more brushes in the future so I decided not to waste money and room on more stands. I'm now sorry I bought the first stand. That could have been two more tubs of cream.

I think classicshaving.com has the only one I've seen that could fit. You may also try em's place.

For my money and the Duke though, I would find 3 little boxes of different sizes, spray paint them in chrome, stack 'em smallest on top and place the Duke on top. You can read the label right side up that way :p

All you ever need is one stand to dry the just used brush. All the dry brushes can stand on their base. You just rotate the wet one onto the stand. I should have thought of that before buying and making all these stands in my bathroom!

All you ever need is one stand to dry the just used brush. All the dry brushes can stand on their base. You just rotate the wet one onto the stand. I should have thought of that before buying and making all these stands in my bathroom!

It amazes me that people think they need stands to dry their brushes... How many of with you stands ever see puddles of water or drops on the base of the stand under the hanging bristles? My guess is never since capillary action exerts more force than gravity in keeping the excess moisture in the brush until it evaporates.

The only people who say you need a brush stand are the vendors that sell them.

I like the stand for aesthetic and functional purposes. The main function for me is keeping the brush from getting knocked around rather than drying. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Please, please, please, to stop my family members long since departed visiting me in the early hours of the morning when I am enjoying my sleep, DO NOT invert the Duke! It doesn't need inverting - no badger brush needs to be inverted to dry - the nature of the badger hair means it will dry perfectly well in its normal upright position. None of my family (i.e the Simpson family - please take note! :001_rolle) have ever inverted our brushes to dry them. I have Simpson brushes (I have made myself!) that are over 30 years old and still doing great.
If one piece of advice/inside knowledge I can pass on to you guys on this site can get taken on board and used (without question!) it is this one!!!!

Gary, thanks for weighing in on this topic! I think you mentioned in passing that you dry your brushes on their bases in an earlier post, and I have been meaning to ask if I understood correctly.

Initially, I had trouble imagining how that could be. So, I started poking around and found that "humid air is less dense than dry air because a molecule of water (M ≈ 18 u ) is less massive than either a molecule of nitrogen (M ≈ 28) or a molecule of oxygen (M ≈ 32)." Of course, water should evaporate more readily with the brush in an upright position.

I alternate brushes, so I will now dry the damp brush upright and invert the dry one on the stand. I paid too much for the stand to throw it out! As always, I will use a dry towel to remove moisture, and I will stop shaking the brush!

I appreciate your sage advice!

The quote is from an article in Wikipedia on Density of Air.

Last edited:
Top Bottom