What's new

Shave Soap Ingredient(s) and Rash

I'm puzzled by a rash that I get using some shave soaps. I've gotten it with Tabac, with Queen Charlotte soaps (no longer in business) and Stirling soaps. I never get a rash with D R Harris or Taylor of Old Bond Street soaps or with Proraso. The mystery is: What ingredient is causing me to get a face rash with some shave soaps? Any shave soap detectives have any ideas?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Need to know what soaps, specifically. Is there a common fragrance element in the soaps that irritate vs. the soaps that don't irritate?

I can only speculate, your issue *perhaps* is not the specific ingredients, but the concentration of those ingredients.
Specifically, fragrance oils. I suspect QCS and Stirling have more concentration of fragrance oils. Possibly, Tabac also.
As a possible safeguard, be sure to prep your face with a full soapy wash before shaving, best with something like Neutrogena.

I'm puzzled by a rash that I get using some shave soaps. I've gotten it with Tabac, with Queen Charlotte soaps (no longer in business) and Stirling soaps. I never get a rash with D R Harris or Taylor of Old Bond Street soaps or with Proraso. The mystery is: What ingredient is causing me to get a face rash with some shave soaps? Any shave soap detectives have any ideas?

I love a good mystery. What Stirling soap specifically?

I can only speculate, your issue *perhaps* is not the specific ingredients, but the concentration of those ingredients.
Specifically, fragrance oils. I suspect QCS and Stirling have more concentration of fragrance oils. Possibly, Tabac also.
As a possible safeguard, be sure to prep your face with a full soapy wash before shaving, best with something like Neutrogena.

Neutrogena is one of the more non-irritating soaps I have used. You might want to also use it after you shave to wash off any shave soap residue that could be causing problems.

However, you might be sensitive to something in Neutrogena, too. The best way to test a hand soap for irritation is to shave with it. Neutrogena actually produces a nice lather and is slick. If you don't get any irritation from shaving with it, then it would be a good soap to wash with, right?

Don't overlook the obvious. Even common, natural ingredients could be causing problems.

As an experiment, I applied some refined coconut oil to my face after shaving. It burned, a lot. No problem applying it at other times, though. I also tried shaving with Kirk's Castile soap, which is coconut oil and glycerin, and claims to be gentle. Not for shaving, it ain't! My face burned worse than anything, ever. I love coconut oil, it is very healthy, I take a spoonful before bed, etc., it is great for my hands in the winter. But I am going to be careful about using shave creams with coconut oil in it. Raw coconut oil is about half lauric acid, which is a basic, common ingredient used in making soap, so this may be the culprit.

You might try applying your shave cream or an isolated ingredient to your face without shaving and leave it there for 10 minutes or more, then rinse it off. If you have a rash, then you know you have a problem, perhaps a skin allergy, but at least a sensitivity.

Another test would be to shave with a neutral, non-irritating shave soap, and apply the test shave soap or ingredient afterwards and see if there is a reaction.

Then there are the essential oils. You can buy them almost anywhere now: Walmart, Am*n, eBay, you name it, small bottles, big bottles, small assortment, one of everything. Look at the comments online and you will probably see someone warning that these are not for applying to the skin and are not safe to use that way -- they are for aroma therapy. While this warning is overly broad, the other part is that they are too concentrated, and if you do use them on your skin, you need to know which ones are safe, and in what concentration.

Should these essential oils be in shave soap? On the one hand, the soap is not on your face long, right?, so it is not as bad as applying it with a hand cream. But it ultimately depends on the oil and how strong it is. I would question whether some soap makers are being as careful as they should.

Actually, you could test essential oils for skin sensitivities using an assortment package. However, you would have to dilute them appropriately, and it could still be dangerous, perhaps risking an anaphylactic reaction.

If your medical insurance covers treatment from an allergist, he could do skin tests, and desensitize you to substances you are allergic to. Bring your shave soaps with you so he can examine the ingredients list. It would be fascinating to watch his reaction.

It's been a couple of years since I've used Stirling Soap. I think the last I used that caused a rash was Sandalwood. Other Sandalwood soaps have not caused a rash.

I think it's probably one of the essential oils or synthetic fragrance oils like other folks said. It might even be different one's. The Tabac has some similar ingredients to Arko (Geraniol, Linalool, Citronellol). Does Arko bother you? The Stirling Sandalwood has almond oil. Does Cella bother you?

I think it's probably one of the essential oils or synthetic fragrance oils like other folks said. It might even be different one's. The Tabac has some similar ingredients to Arko (Geraniol, Linalool, Citronellol). Does Arko bother you? The Stirling Sandalwood has almond oil. Does Cella bother you?
Yes, I have had a rash from Cella, but only occasionally

In addition to the fragrance and essential oils, nut oils are also possibly a culprit, or a combination of both. Concentration of any ingredient may also be a trigger, so one product may be fine, but another with virtually the same ingredients may cause problems.

With respect to Stirling, the almond and castor oil high in the ingredient list may not agree with you. Stirling and Tabac are also very generous with the fragrance oils.

Ironically, you (and I) might have better luck with more mass produced products because they test for reactions more broadly and are more risk averse.

I assume you are not a medical doctor.
When are you getting the "rash"? If it is only during/after shaving, have you tested the soaps on the inside of your elbow?

Speaking of allergies:

Allergic reactions[edit]
A 1996 study found that triethanolamine (TEOA) occasionally causes contact allergy.[11] A 2001 study found TEOA in a sunscreen caused an allergic contact dermatitis.[12] A 2007 study found TEOA in ear drops caused a contact allergy.[13] Systemic and respiratory tract (RT) toxicity was analyzed for 28 days in a nose specific inhalation 2008 study in Wistar rats; TEOA seems to be less potent in regard to systemic toxicity and RT irritancy than diethanolamine (DEA). Exposure to TEOA resulted in focal inflammation, starting in single male animals from 20 mg/m3 concentrations.[14]

A 2009 study stated that patch test reactions reveal a slight irritant potential instead of a true allergic response in several cases, and also indicated the risk of skin sensitization to TEOA seems to be very low.
[15]

-=-

Allergies
There is some evidence that at high concentrations, (greater than 5%), triethanolamine can cause some irritation on the skin. While this reaction is rare, hypersensitive skin types should be aware of the potential irritation. In rare cases, products containing triethanolamine may be contributing to sensitivity.

and:

Gillette Foamy ingredients:

Water/Eau, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Isobutane, Laureth-23, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Propane, Fragrance/Parfum, BHT.

Keep in mind that shaving cream/soap is not on your skin all that long, unlike sunscreen, so most people probably won't have problems. But some of you are having allergy-like irritation, so this is one ingredient to consider. And if you use it every day for years, your chance of developing an allergy increases.

On the other hand, if it is so safe, why did they make it so hard to pronounce? Hmmm....

More:

• Triethanolamine: Triethanolamine is used in many cosmetic products to help balance pH levels, as well as to act as a cleansing base. When absorbed into the body over a long period of time, it can become toxic. Even short periods of exposure can cause allergic reactions, including eye problems and dry hair and skin. Look for Triethanolamine in eyeliners, eye shadows, blushers, mascara, foundation, hair dyes, hair care products, shaving products, and sunscreens.

and

Triethanolamine, often abbreviated as TEA, is a viscous organic compound that is both a tertiary amine and a triol. A triol is amolecule with three alcohol groups. Triethanolamine is a strong base. Triethanolamine can also be abbreviated as TEOA, which can help to distinguish it from triethylamine.

Triethanolamine is used primarily as an emulsifier and surfactant. It is a common ingredient in formulations used for both industrial and consumer products. The triethanolamine neutralizes fatty acids, adjusts and buffers the pH, and solubilises oils and other ingredients that are not completely soluble in water. Some common products in which triethanolamine is found are liquid laundry detergents, dishwashing liquids, general cleaners, hand cleaners, polishes, metalworking fluids, paints, shaving cream and printing inks.

and

RISK: Skin irritation, eczema, and allergic reactions have been reported in humans following direct skin contact.

-=-

Last edited:
I have bad allergies to scents but trying to figure out what I can use
as said above I am applying and leaving on for a while

proraso green started to get to me so going to take it out for a while and then try again
usually put it on toward the evening that way its end of day and I can wash put some lotion on and should be better by morning and also I do think it isolates it to just that not other things throughout the day

sadly no easy way make a list of all ingredients when you are allergic and find common things

testing for me was so long ago and more general they did not test every single thing in soaps etc... but have issues with detergents big time and dye
not sure if modern testing you could ask for certain things ?

I also find some things are the straw that broke the back kinda thing so lightly allergic but other things pushed it over so allergic to onions if I ate something with a ton of onions then used some soap that had a sleight allergy it would push me over and get reaction where other days same soap would not give reaction ? So sometimes it is tough to narrow down

I often find that if my skin is dry, it is prone to rashes and the blade on the skin feels like a jagged tin can!

I work on my skin with extra moisturizers etc and this generally resolves the rash and jagged tin can issues.

If however, it is irritation like tingling or burning, then I know it's a specific ingredient that doesn't suit me and I stop using that particular soap.

Soap by default has a high pH, even when superfatted. This alkalinity definitely impacts my skin negatively when my skin is already dry and sensitive.

Once skin dryness is resolved, I go back to sublime shaves with full comfort and closeness and zero rashes etc.

Ive noticed that some barbershop and old spice scents give me a bit of tingle. Nothing major, just notice a bit of heat with many soaps of those scents.

I often find that if my skin is dry, it is prone to rashes and the blade on the skin feels like a jagged tin can!

I work on my skin with extra moisturizers etc and this generally resolves the rash and jagged tin can issues.

If however, it is irritation like tingling or burning, then I know it's a specific ingredient that doesn't suit me and I stop using that particular soap.

Soap by default has a high pH, even when superfatted. This alkalinity definitely impacts my skin negatively when my skin is already dry and sensitive.

Once skin dryness is resolved, I go back to sublime shaves with full comfort and closeness and zero rashes etc.

Hat Tip to NAV! It was interesting and informative to read about your experience. I have rashes more commonly when my skin is dry. Maybe that is part of the problem and I need to work more on keeping my skin moisturized.

Reactions: nav
Several common and very well-respected soaps (Arko, Palmolive, Speick) give me a mild irritation reaction, but not bad enough to be a total no-go shave.

The one that doesn't generate any reaction at all (yet...) and is getting all the shave action recently is MWF. Fingers crossed.

I suspect this is going to be a totally YMMV post.

Could it be, perhaps, that your skin is sometimes dry because of the exfoliation from daily BBS shaves?

I sometimes wonder if skin irritation from shave soap might be increased by very close shaves, which opens pores more than milder shaves. What do you think?

On the other hand, if you rest your skin for awhile with milder shaves, perhaps you would have less soap irritation problems.

However, this would depend a lot on the soap. I assume some soaps cause irritation regardless of the shaving style. But with others, perhaps the shaving style would have more of an impact.

Curious what others might find.

Hat Tip to NAV! It was interesting and informative to read about your experience. I have rashes more commonly when my skin is dry. Maybe that is part of the problem and I need to work more on keeping my skin moisturized.

If you suspect this to be the case, try glycerine or shave oil as pre shave.

When I find my skin is dry/irritated, I always use a pre shave (not pre shave soap though cos that just compounds the problem!).

For aftershave, I apply either a balm or vitamin E oil and at bed time, I apply vitamin E oil or a vitamin c/hyaluronic acid serum.

I definitely notice a big difference in my shave comfort and closeness when my skin is hydrated and supple.

P.s. Lanolin also works wonders to make the skin soft and supple but as an aftershave, it's a little too sticky for me.

Top Bottom