What's new

Shave Roulette

Updated my bet. Included a new (9) as first digid. Just to make sure that a 9XXX spin won't show up for weeks now... lol.
20201211_203312.jpg

View attachment 1193538

9- Col. Conk Natural Shave Soap - Santa Fe Cedar
3- Made Rite 303 (new mixed-hair knot)
5- Supposed to be the Gillette Heritage, but I just used that yesterday waiting for the new numbers (it performed admirably with an aggressive blade.) So I audibled out of that and chose my King of Whiskers straight instead, for a nice long relaxing shave experience
8- Speick aftershave

9 comes up again. I had just swapped out the Gillette shaving cream and now its replacement comes up. I just got this as a throw-in with my last order from The Superior Shave. It appears to be discontinued. It smells awesome. Good thing the company is continuing the scent in its other products. This soap looks like it's not going to last long though. I made a noticeable dent in the puck in just today's shave. Needed to load the brush twice; had disappearing-lather issues.

The brush is one of my 1950s butterscotch catalins, made in the USA. 303 was originally a badger cased brush (a ring of badger around a core of boar bristles) and this one's knot was just plain awful. In recognition of its heritage, the brush still has both badger and boar hair, 20mm worth mixed up in the knot (supplied by Shave Forge). This provides a nice brush experience. Good backbone and only moderate prickle.

The KoW razor was sold locally and is older than 1907. It takes down hair very efficiently. Near BBS and no irritation or cuts today. Solid A- grade for its work.

And Speick AS comes up again. Not that I mind, except that it is pricey to get in the US and I only have the one bottle. I really enjoy the scent and it feels good going on. All in all a good spin today.
The natural line of soaps dont contain any kind of "lather boosters" if you will. They are a little harder to load and tend to take less water than you'd expect. It seems counterintuitive to load with LESS water but it really helps the lather properties if you do. Thank you for the input!

The natural line of soaps dont contain any kind of "lather boosters" if you will. They are a little harder to load and tend to take less water than you'd expect. It seems counterintuitive to load with LESS water but it really helps the lather properties if you do. Thank you for the input!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll remember that next time I use it. Cheers!

Eben Stone

Staff member
XXXX => CF Lime, RR 400, Gillette post-war Tech, Shark SS

I need to find out if SJoL is causing me irritation, so for this next upcoming shave I'm going to use SJoL instead of the Castle Forbes. I really hope it's not the soap because SJoL is amazing.

Had my roulette shave today after playing 18 holes of golf (in December!).

The spin had me using my Rubberset R400, Soapy Science in the Doc’s Special Blend scent (especially nice today, with it’s mild cooling effect), the “Ultimate Shaving Machine” (Kai Kasho folding shavette loaded with a Kai Mild PINK blade), and clean-up with my Knack loaded with a Polsilver SI.

As you can imagine, it was a glorious two-pass shave. DFS. Highly recommended!

Drumroll please ...............

Still not tempting enough to knock me off my winning setup ......

Saturday's set up:
Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Soap: Haslinger ~ Schafsmilch
Razor: Mühle Rocca R94
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (7)

Looks nice.

Saturday's set up:
Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Soap: Haslinger ~ Schafsmilch
Razor: Mühle Rocca R94
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (7)

Looks nice.
20201212_094416-01.jpeg

Did not enjoy this shave a lot. Today's gear was not to blame tough. Maybe I
was just in the wrong mood.
Anyway, the shave result does not give reason to complain. DFS/BBS all over.

Enjoy your weekend, gents!

FD37CCF7-E724-4ABA-A1B2-5E740129FE0A.jpeg

3- Proraso red cream
8- Simpsons Duke 1 handle, reknotted
4- Edwin Jagger 3ONE6 + German Wilkinson Sword (4?)
0- Gillette Cool Wave

Good products today and they resulted in an excellent shave. The 3ONE6 always delivers. Nice lather but I couldn't really smell it well though. LOTH put a new air freshener in the bathroom and it overwhelms the room.

A day where I use Cool Wave is always a good day. It is my default AS and is what people around me expect me to smell of. I always have plenty of backups of this around the house.

After the last spin, I changed my bets a tiny bit. I have not been enjoying the Fatip Gentile, and it keeps coming up again and again. I remembered that I had a Ming-Shi Futur clone, so I subbed it in for the Fatip. (I need to sell the Fatip.)

Anyway, as luck would have it, the number that the Fatip used to hold came up yet again! So my shave this morning involved the Ming Shi for clean-up. The rest of the shave was old favorites: Rubberset R400 (which also comes up a LOT, but it is one of my two best brushes), Soapy Science in Lollipop Citrus scent (delightful), and my trusty folding Feather SS, loaded up with a reliable Schick Proline blade.

Two passes to DFS, without irritation or weepers. I really enjoyed the Ming Shi much more than I do the Fatip Gentile.

Also looking forward to changing up the bets again shortly after Christmas, with the addition of a new brush and maybe one or two new soaps!

This little roulette game has been very helpful. It has helped me to rediscover some DEs that had been collecting dust. It has also let me know that at least one of my DEs needs to go to somebody else who will enjoy it more than I do. I will likely put that Fatip on the BST soon. If you want it, PM me. It’s not a bad razor at all, I just don’t really like it.
Can’t even really put a finger on what it is about that I don’t like. I just don’t “click” with it.

**** spin shave:

RR German 37 slant
7 O'clock Yellow (4)
Vie-Long white 50/50 horsehair fan brush
365 glycerin soap wash
Cyril R Salter Wild Rose cream (sample)
Dickinson's witch hazel
Speick splash

Very good combo. I'm slowly using up my samples thanks to Shave Roulette!

3296 is Rubberset R400, I Coloniali cream, my Kai Kasho shavette, clean-up with the Stahly. Sounds like a great shave. Looking forward to it this evening or tomorrow morning.

I peeked ......
4BA891B1-9A87-48B2-83E9-5ACF11729989.jpeg

Looks interesting. I don’t love the brush much, but the Sabre head is awesome. I usually run it on an ATT Atlas handle.

Top Bottom