What's new

Shave Roulette

I am set up for a soap of the month club with Stirling Christmas Eve and I am super happy about that, however, I am going to write this here to remind myself to take part starting January. I love this idea and think throwing some variety in will make me happy. Fun to see what people are doing. Thanks, @JAHE for bring this to my attention.

AE5EEEB8-B410-42AD-8C5C-6FCFF18D20C9.jpeg

5- Captains Choice North soap
8- Simpsons Trafalgar T2 brush
9- Gem Clog Pruf + Gem Stainless (3) razor
8- Speick AS

B- shave.

The soap did not get along with the brush. Serious disappearing lather problems. I had to grab a natural hair brush and re-lather. Smelled terrific on this chilly Monday morning though.

Gem razors don't seem to shave me quite as close as DEs. DFS all over today.

Speick smells good too. It worked all right with the soap.

Eben Stone

Staff member
FYI: I'm using the roulette to pick my soap and brush and blade. Sticking with the R41 for a while to dial in my technique.

5898 => WCS Chypre, RR 400, (Mühle R41) , Derby Premium

^^ finally get to try the Derby Premium...

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura
Soap: MWF
Razor: Gillette New Long Comb
Blade: Astra Stainless Steel (1)

Looks like a nice start for Monday!
20201206_132553-01.jpeg

Very nice shave. I like the blue Astras better than the green sibbling (the blue ones appear sharper according to my face-o-meter...).

5898 Shave:

SLOC + HD handle
7 O'clock Yellow (1)
Vie-Long white 50/50 horsehair fan brush
365 glycerin soap wash
RR Saturnia soap
Dickinson's witch hazel
RR Son of Zeus splash

slock-shave.png

5898 for me is my smallest synthetic brush, Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus, my brand new Kai Kasho shavette, and clean-up with the Knack. Sounds like a great shave.

Have to tell you that on the shave I had Saturday night based on Friday's spin, I ended up giving myself a little cut with the Feather SS loaded up with a Schick Proline. On the second pass, XTG from lips to earlobe, I went in at a bit of a steep angle and landed too hard, causing a cut just to the side of my lips that bled a bit but turned out to be just a tiny, thin cut that was barely visible after the shave was completed. I'll have to be a bit careful on that spot tonight, though; maybe go the opposite direction for my XTG there just to be sure that it is allowed to heal completely and not get opened back up when it is trying to heal. Whoopsies. It only takes a little lapse in attention to get a little cut when shaving with an open blade razor. (Having said that, this one was only about the third or fourth I have had in the past 180+ shavette shaves; so it's not like shavette shaving is dangerous.)

My setup for Thuesday:

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Wickham 1912 ~ Classic 24
Razor: 1962 Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (1)

It's nice to have another shave with the SOC Boar. After 25+ uses it's still not fully broken in...
How do you like the Wickham 1912? I've been interested in that one.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Random useless fact of the day. As of this spin, 9's which are the most frequent, are twice as common as 2's which are the least frequent.

687D08D4-203E-43C1-A642-63049674362E.jpeg

7- Proraso green soap
9- Gillette Standard (Made in England) brush, reknotted with Shave Forge Finest Badger
0- "Milwaukee First" straight razor from Milwaukee Barber Supply (made by JA Henckels)
1- Brut Europe

Just what I needed. A straight razor shave on a busy Tuesday morning. :)

Turned out that what I needed this morning was, indeed, a relaxing straight razor shave. At least it was one bit of sanity in what is promising to be a day otherwise without relaxation.

The Proraso green soap hasn't been out in a very long time, and having pulled it out for this shave, I don't want to put it back. Smells so good.

The Finest Badger knot isn't bad. Not too much prickle and handles nicely. Not a luxury experience, exactly, but it sure whipped up a nice lather and didn't bother my face at all.

The razor doesn't look like much, I know. But it is a Henckels, and it was recently honed by Gemstar Customs. It takes down hair in a hurry. Two pass five minute DFS.

And Brut is always a pleasant experience.

If nothing else goes right today, at least the shave did.

View attachment 1192278

7- Proraso green soap
9- Gillette Standard (Made in England) brush, reknotted with Shave Forge Finest Badger
0- "Milwaukee First" straight razor from Milwaukee Barber Supply (made by JA Henckels)
1- Brut Europe

Just what I needed. A straight razor shave on a busy Tuesday morning. :)

Turned out that what I needed this morning was, indeed, a relaxing straight razor shave. At least it was one bit of sanity in what is promising to be a day otherwise without relaxation.

The Proraso green soap hasn't been out in a very long time, and having pulled it out for this shave, I don't want to put it back. Smells so good.

The Finest Badger knot isn't bad. Not too much prickle and handles nicely. Not a luxury experience, exactly, but it sure whipped up a nice lather and didn't bother my face at all.

The razor doesn't look like much, I know. But it is a Henckels, and it was recently honed by Gemstar Customs. It takes down hair in a hurry. Two pass five minute DFS.

And Brut is always a pleasant experience.

If nothing else goes right today, at least the shave did.
You are a brave man to mix straight razors into your betting sheet! Maybe have a "Plan A" and "Plan B" sheet?

You are a brave man to mix straight razors into your betting sheet! Maybe have a "Plan A" and "Plan B" sheet?

Heh. If I hadn't been using them for a few months already I probably would do exactly that (or left the straights off the list altogether and just use them when I felt like it), but with probably 30 straight shaves under my belt I'm confident enough to use one whenever I want. It just takes me a couple extra minutes. Today I got as good a shave as I did from the Gem yesterday. I just don't get full BBS from the straights because I can't operate one ATG under my chin. But that just means I can shave again 24 hours later instead of waiting for 36. :)

How do you like the Wickham 1912? I've been interested in that one.
The soap base is very nice, it's an easy to dial-in soap which will provide a sour cream like lather. Both primary and residual slickness are very good. Post shave feel is okay but nothing to rave about.
In a nutshell: a recommendation.

What is the scent you are interested in?

Besides , I had a great shave with the Classic24 today. The matching balm (it's a kind of gel rather than a classic milky balm) is nice as well.

20201207_193618-01-01.jpeg

Top Bottom