What's new

Shave Oil Question

Greetings all,

I picked up a bottle of "Shave Secret" shave oil from wal-mart a few days ago for the purposes of assembling a travel shave kit. Something to par down the kit to the bare essentials and be taken on a plane as carry on only and no checked baggage. Originally I intended a bic single blade disposable, shave stick and travel brush, but looking at the shave oil it would further reduce what I would carry.

It shaves decently with my DE, haven't tried the BIC yet since I got the DE though. In fact it seems to be helping with my steel wool-like neck area which is problematic to get a close shave on. The problem however is I really detest the clove scent. It does not linger after the shave, but it still is distracting enough to make shaving with it not the pleasurable experience I've been getting with the soaps and creams that I have been introduced to since finding badger and blade.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with either another brand of shave oil that could be used by itself or point me in the right direction of creating a shave oil myself. Most of the shave oil's I've found seem to be for an oil pass and not the entire shave. But then again that could just be my decidedly noobish outlook on how the product is marketed.

Art of Shaving sells a variety of pre-shave oils, scented and unscented. But you could always mix your own...

I'm using a 50/50 mix of castor oil and olive oil right now, with some essential oils of my choosing for scent. Works awesome. Just remember, if you're going to put EO in it, dark glass bottles work best for storage.

Good luck.

Not sure about that one...sorry, guess I didn't read your post closely enough. I use them as a pre-shave base for my shave stick. Not sure what would happen if you tried them alone.

So those marketed as pre-shave oils should work just fine without soap or cream?

I wouldn't expect them to because they seem to be designed to compliment the lather. Take AOS for instance, they are marketing a system that includes the oil and lather.

Yes for sure, make it your self. Get a clean squeeze bottle and fill it half with extra virgin olive oil and half with castor oil. This is the same oil mix found in the forums for the oil cleansing method for your face wash in the evening.

I found rubbing in a few drops of my oil cleanser (half n half olive and castor mix) into my face the minute I wake up, letting it absorb for a few minutes and then doing my usual hot steaming cloth preshave routine gives me a great smooth shave. I get far less razor burn and the whiskers cut smoothly.

Top Bottom