What's new

Shave first, then shower

I don’t apply my post shave products prior to showering. I shave, shower, and then go back to the sink and apply alum, witch hazel, balm, and after shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I was the only weirdo that did that

I thought I was the only weirdo that did that

So far, maybe we’re the only ones to admit it. For the sake of saving time in the morning, I shave while my wife showers, then we trade places. It has been a serendipitous experience, as rinsing my face in the shower works beautifully. Then I can enjoy the post shave product experience afterwards.

I tried this today and was very impressed with the result. I’ll have to give it some more test runs this week.

Today I was a little pressed for time so I went the cartridge route and got a great shave with a tiny amount of irritation on one side of my neck.

Hot washcloth a few times, then face lathered Stirling Ozark Mountain 2 pass shave with touch ups. Showered then cold water rinse and after shave balm.

I've been wet shaving ever since I started shaving 20+ years ago (though finally switched from carts to DE safety a few years ago). I have always shaved first, followed by shower & finished w/ any post shave (alum, balm, AS, etc.)

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I always wash my face with Noxzema first, rubbing it in with lots of water so my beard is soft and wet. Then I shave, apply alum, and shower. I get a better, cleaner, no residue rinse that way.

I tried this today and was very impressed with the result. I’ll have to give it some more test runs this week.

Today I was a little pressed for time so I went the cartridge route and got a great shave with a tiny amount of irritation on one side of my neck.

Hot washcloth a few times, then face lathered Stirling Ozark Mountain 2 pass shave with touch ups. Showered then cold water rinse and after shave balm.

Glad it worked out for you! I can do either way, but notice my skin much prefers the shave first. I'd be interested in a follow up from you on how it works out with your DE or SE.

When I go to the barber to get my beard trim, he puts lather on my face and then places a hot towel over the lather for a few minutes before he takes the straight razor to my face, it works really well. But, I don't know if I have the patience to wait 3 minutes with lather on my face at home!

I find this interesting in the cases where shaving in the shower is intrinsically better. My parents’ home didn’t have a shower until after I was married. My grandparents never had showers. Yet, they all had wonderful shaves.

By the time I’m done brushing my teeth and such, my face has probably been moist for over 3 minutes. In any event, I shaved for a few years before a shower was available to me and I still shaved outside the shower.

Those of us who use straight razors would probably shudder at the thought of shaving in a shower, maybe not. I certainly like lots of mirror and lots of light when I shave, so it would have to be before or after.

When I first tried shaving with cartridge razors in the '80s, I shaved then showered, so that I could rinse off any blood from nicks. Now that happens very rarely. Perhaps I'll try it tomorrow . . . I can probably find something to occupy me for 2-3 minutes while I let the cream soften the bristles.

Did this tonight and liked it..always did the shave first with carts never with DEs.
Will give my face a good wash pre shave going forward.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have always shaved and then showered. I do wash my face well in hot water and soap, then lather up and away I go. Just my routine.

Those of us who use straight razors would probably shudder at the thought of shaving in a shower, maybe not. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never shaved with a straight. The thought of shaving with a straight in the shower makes me shudder.

If I shave in the am I shower first. This wakes me up fully. On a Monday morning my technique could suffer if I'm still tired from the weekend. If I shave in the pm I don't shower first. I have not noticed a difference in shave quality ether way.

Top Bottom