What's new

Shave first, then shower

I guess it all depends on how much your face can handle, at one point I thought it would be a good idea to use face scrub to really clean my face and soften the beard in the process but ended up being too much, and shaving and then taking a shower can be also irritant if you do over cleaning, so my suggestion would be weather you do shave or shower first you just need to clean your face JUST ONCE especialy if you shave first since shaving removes pretty much everything

I tried it this morning, as I woke up early: shaved before exercise or shower. Interesting sensation, to go for a workout with my face still saying, "Yes, you just removed a layer of skin cells from me today." As people said above, too, it was odd to wash my face in the shower and find it smooth instead of sandpaper-y.

Become a member of A.S.S. Association of Shower Shavers. I have my mirror and its like a hot towel when it's steamy. I find my face less chewed when I do. Whatever your preference, a SSS is the same regardless of order.
I am apparently a member of this group. What a wonderful acronym! Lol.

I tried shaving first for two days earlier this week. My face felt a little more dry or irritated. Maybe like windburn? It wasn't harshly irritated, just not as "care-free" feeling as is usual when I shower then shave. When I first started shaving traditionally in the late Fall '15, I tried something mantic59 mentioned, applying some conditioner to my whiskery mug while I showered. So this old dog is sticking with tricks that work for him! But like others said before me, it was so odd to wash a smooth face! And to just get out of the shower and be done, that was odd, too!

I tried the shave-first method this morning for the first time ever. Good results. I am going to try it for a while...

I tried the shave-first method this morning for the first time ever. Good results. I am going to try it for a while...

Boy, this really didn’t work out well for me. I got a lot of irritation, which is pretty unusual for me. I returned to my shower-first routine and it is getting better now. Further evidence that everyone is different and should experiment to find their best routine.

I shower, then shave.
After shaving I kneel beside the tub, lean over the side, and use the hand-held shower sprayer to rinse thoroughly. Warm water the first time for the soap, then later with cold water for the alum.

This seems vaguely related to the topic:
proxy.php

Notice the part that says "the right way to shave .. Your beard is thickest at the chin anad upper lip areas. So save them for last. Let them soak (in that same Gillette Foamy.) Start with your sideburns first, then your chin and your upper lip last."
That seems like a plausible idea.
Except for the Foamy and upper lip business (I have a handlebar 'stache), that's sort of what I do, but not because I read it anywhere. It just happened that way and became a habit.

Shave first, then shower. If I'm using a soap that has a great post shave, I save some lather and put it on my face after the the shower (then rinse, cold rinse, WH and AS). I find that the shower over hydrates my face and leads to lower quality shaves.

I'm a little surprised at how many of us like to shave first, then shower.

I have found a shower first better for at least a couple reasons.

A hot shower not only hydrates but also changes (softens) skin texture. Seems to help shaving products applied do a better job.

I'm also less likely to irritate freshly-shaven skin, if I'm not then-washing the face in a hot shower after. It was just traumatized a bit during the shave...

Finally, I find that thoroughly washing the face before the shave (in a shower or separately) minimizes any risk of a skin infection just before an exfoliating/slightly-ablative procedure, like shaving, is done.

I always think about what a surgeon would do to an area before using a scalpel...or what a hospital does to cleanse skin before prepping for surgery.

I pretty much do the same thing, even though (hopefully) I'm not making any incision.

For most of the last few months because of my schedule, I've showered at night and shaved in the morning with no more prep than a splash of cold water (our bathroom sink doesn't have hot water) and a vigorous face lather with Tabac stick and a Plissoft synthetic brush. It's a process that's worked really well for me. I haven't noticed any differences in shave quality or irritation when I've had the time and opportunity to shower and then shave.

Shaving first makes washing my head/face easier and more effective. I notice my skin does not get as clean and is more prone to occasional acne if I wash before shaving. Also, cleanup is easier when you don't have to worry about residual shaving cream on your head/face.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Robert:
I find that my face gets 'puffy' if I shower first and then shave. However, with good prep I always get a CCS in 2 passes (downward & across [WTG & CTG], w/ 'touch-ups'). :w00t:
Then I shower after because it's so soothing and 'closes up' the pores and a 'weeper' now & then..but zero 'nicks'.
proxy.php

shaving-smiley-png.805252
"A good lather is half the shave". William Hone

Top Bottom