What's new

Shave and a Juggle?

I'm not about to suggest that juggling is an important skill for wet shaving in general or SR shaving in particular.

In fact, that's probably a terrible idea. But I sure am glad I know how. Even more, I sure am glad the razor was in the box.

(Pretty sure that if you drop your SR you should probably let it fall. MAYBE catch it if it's folded. I'll let the SR veterans weigh in for sure.)

Meet my Dovo Col Conk.

Tonight was my 2nd shave with it and counting my shavette, my 10th SRish shave.

I'm so careful with it. I'd prefer to keep it on the razor stand in the bathroom but between the others in the house, including a feisty cat, it's safer to put it in a case and in my room out of reach.

I was taking it from the bathroom to the bedroom. While in its razor stand.

I grabbed for it with my left hand, it bounced off my fingertips into the air. With another gentle reach I snagged it back to safety.

And because it was closed and sheaved, I still have fingers.

Decide for yourselves if you want to learn juggling. YMMV.

Rouxblade aka Scott

Attachments

• 20220724_202537.jpg
    20220724_202537.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Yep, Let it fall unless it's in a sleeve or container. It's not worth a finger. I have a tile floor in the bathroom and always make sure the rug is pulled right up to the sink cabinet. It has saved a razor or two even though the edge was dinged. Learn to jump back when it falls!
And always shave with at least some coverage of your middle. None of us what to see that cut of the day.

As the disney princess (or whatever) sang, "Let it go, let it go, let it goooooooo."

I've always felt that juggling was more about throwing than catching (at least that concept helped me over the hump when learning). So while I have juggled the usual torches and axes I am not planning to add straights to the repertoire. A Karamazov I am not.

This is the real reason I have too many razors. All the surplus are, uh, backups.

Nice razor. Is that in 5/8 or 6/8?
It's the 5/8. I'm enjoying it so far.

I may not have been clear. The razor was in the razor case. So I was catching the box not the razor. I'd like to think my instinct to catch something I dropped would be weaker than my instinct to keep all my fingers if this ever happens when not in the box.

Or maybe I can just stop dropping things.

As the disney princess (or whatever) sang, "Let it go, let it go, let it goooooooo."

I've always felt that juggling was more about throwing than catching (at least that concept helped me over the hump when learning). So while I have juggled the usual torches and axes I am not planning to add straights to the repertoire. A Karamazov I am not.

This is the real reason I have too many razors. All the surplus are, uh, backups.
Oh yeah. The throw is way more important than the catch.

I bobbled a razor once and instinctively grabbed it before I even had a chance to think about it. I still have all my fingers, but it did not turn our well.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Yeah, that juggler's instinct to stop something falling with your foot is strong. I have saved numerous things, plates, glasses etc a couple of months ago I tried to save a falling can of beans (I know) hit my shin and hurt for days. I really should learn to control myself.

Yeah, that juggler's instinct to stop something falling with your foot is strong. I have saved numerous things, plates, glasses etc a couple of months ago I tried to save a falling can of beans (I know) hit my shin and hurt for days. I really should learn to control myself.
I developed the same reflex, sticking out my foot to save a number of bowls and kitchen items from breaking by letting them first bounce on my foot. I think it was a consciously developed reflex after observing there was enough time to react and at least try to break the fall. But I also learned the hard way about not trying to stop a can of tuna.

What was most surprising to me was realizing how many quick decisions the brain can process before it becomes a conscious thought. Earlier this year a chef knife fell as I was trying to place it on the edge of the kitchen counter and I resisted the impulse to try and catch it with my foot. About the time the knife hit the floor I realized that at first I did have the impulse to move my foot, but in parallel and slightly lagging behind the bigger danger was recognized by some other part of my mind which suppressed to movement of my foot.

Top Bottom