What's new

Sharpening: Figure 8 or Circular

One of my buds is a former Navy Seal who I observed sharpening his jack knife using circular and figure 8's on a fine arkansas stone with minimal oil, if any, for almost an hour. The blade literally shaved the hair off of his arm and the knife whose brand I don't remember wasn't anything special. Take a look at this article at FallKniven from Sweden. I'm wondering if the same would apply to straights and I don't use a straight.

I would hope that sharpening on a fine stone for "almost an hour" would make an edge sharp, regardless of the pattern of motions used.

Almost any knife will take an edge like that. What separates the good from the less good is how long the edge will stand up to use.

You can always shave hair off your arm with any knife; that's nothing special. I sharpen my knives to only 300 grit, as that gives me an edge that will last and I want those micro serrations on a knife. And while that knife will easily shave arm hair, it will not provide a smooth and irritation free face shave.

When finishing your razor on a stone, I recommend x-strokes for the final laps. X-strokes are universally recommended when finishing.

I would hope that sharpening on a fine stone for "almost an hour" would make an edge sharp, regardless of the pattern of motions used.

Almost any knife will take an edge like that.......
I'm not certain that all stainless will stand up to my remark and I'm not an expert sharpener. I was never impressed with 440 stainless ever.

Figure 8 works best with a wide bevel like a chisel or plane blade but can be done with a knife with some practice.

There is no benefit to using it with a razor. Circles are often used with a razor in the initial low grit stones when needed, to remove steel. Finish strokes are done with X laps to get a uniform bevel finish and super straight edge.

As said shaving arm hair for razors is more of a parlor trick and there are better and much more accurate ways to test an edge.

Razor honing starts where most knife edges end.

I can shave the hair off my arm with a credit card sharpened on 1k sandpaper. It's true.
Strokes don't make edges. Not really, no. They just get the blade across the stone. Going one way or another doesn't make 'sharper' - not exactly. Typically, you can create the same edge many many ways, no one way is going to be 'the' way.
Strokes, like 8s and circles, often - are about allowing the user to make the most of a smaller landscape.
Survivalist types will practice all sorts of things for the 'what if' days. Circles on the circular portion of unglazed ceramic on the bottom of a coffee mug, for example.
People use all sorts of strokes to sharpen and hone, rat tail, pig tail, 1/2 strokes, x strokes, rolling strokes, snake strokes, 8s, circles, and more. Most roads lead to Rome, but not everyone wants to take the same road as everyone else, and some people prefer one road over another for all sorts of reasons.
Best thing to do is to try stuff, see how it works for you and compare to other things you do. Me, I don't usually do roundabout motions on the stones.

Top Bottom