What's new

Share Your Unfortunate Christmas Present Experiences!

Giving and receiving Christmas presents can be a hit-and miss situation.

I personally have had no issues with presents given this year. Mrs Ladd, hearing garbled mutterings of a "fat soap shortage" (sic) based on my frequent comments to her on the impending tallow crisis scenario, was kind enough to gift me 10 arko! sticks, as well as a much needed bottle of Nivea Sensitive.

However, many Brothers may have received less than appropriate/useful or indeed tasteful presents this holiday season.

So, this is your opportunity to showcase some of the less desirable presents you may have received in this period.

Lurid descriptions and photos warmly welcomed.

All names should be changed please, to protect the innocent, as Dragnet always emphasised.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Years ago now, we set up a monthly "allowance" for ourselves. That way, if we want to save up for something during the year, we have cash available. As a result, we don't buy each other birthday or Christmas gifts. My wife actually appreciates the unexpected gift(s) during the year other than on the designated "special" days.

There are so many different ways to express love and affection. Like most things in life, there is no, one, single "correct" way to approach things.

My wife and I have been married forever, so for birthdays and Christmas we either order our own and let the other wrap them, or give scratch-off lottery tickets to each other. We couldn't think of anything we wanted this year so she bought us a joint present - a new toaster. I've been saying we needed a new toaster for years, but she insisted we didn't need one. She's from the south and prefers her oven toast most days, but even she's been using the new one now that it actually browns more than half a side.

I have a horrible confession to make: my wife and I don't buy presents for each other or for ourselves. She buys gifts for the grandkids and we usually have a big family meal here at our humble abode, which can run into a fair amount of money and, frankly, at my age, I need for nothing nor does she. And our wedding anniversary occurs just three days prior to Christmas and we usually go out for a nice dinner to celebrate that.
Granted, not the warmest Father Christmas scenario, but it works for us.

We don't really do Christmas: Mrs P is a Muslim, plus her birthday is 26/12 so any present tends to be for that. She usually gets me a token gift, sometimes she will go to my tailor and have a shirt made, or some shaving kit. I get Amazon vouchers from my dad and I send him the same. This year he deposited some cash in my UK account which we spent on a dinner on her birthday. It's quite difficult to be festive in the tropics(!)

I have a horrible confession to make: my wife and I don't buy presents for each other or for ourselves. She buys gifts for the grandkids and we usually have a big family meal here at our humble abode, which can run into a fair amount of money and, frankly, at my age, I need for nothing nor does she. And our wedding anniversary occurs just three days prior to Christmas and we usually go out for a nice dinner to celebrate that.
Granted, not the warmest Father Christmas scenario, but it works for us.
Our wedding anniversary is also 3 days before Christmas. In 35 years we have mostly forgotten. This year got me sending a cheery text “Happy 35th”

Our wedding anniversary is also 3 days before Christmas. In 35 years we have mostly forgotten. This year got me sending a cheery text “Happy 35th”
Only 13 years for us this year and, unfortunately, my wife was in a hospital this year so we'll celebrate it next week after the New Year.
Happy Anniversary to you. If I add up my three marriages, I almost total 35 years. 🤣

I heard this story years ago how true I don't know. Two brothers went to bed Christmas Eve. One woke up and saw the other had a bike under the tree. It was still very early in the am. The boy got a little jealous and took off on the bike. Riding over a pond the bike fell through the ice but the boy jumped off the bike in time. The boy went back home and went to bed and got up with the rest of the family. He didn't say a word and of course everyone's wondering what on earth happened. Forty years later and he still hasn't told his brother about that night.

Top Bottom