What's new

Shampoo Bars?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Has anyone tried these? I see Stirling has one. I have fine, thinning hair (50+) and am just wondering whether this would be a good alternative to the harsh chemicals in regular shampoos.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
i have and use and like the wet shave products (wsp) shampoo bar. in the barbershop scent.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Do you also need conditioner?
no.
the first time i used it i was very impressed. a little goes a long way and the post shampoos feel was amazing. def no conditioner needed. I was somewhat of a skeptic on shampoo bars and threw one in on an order i was placing for shave stuff and am very pleased. wsp is reasonably priced and they ship so fast. Its worth trying and way better than the store bought chemical baths.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
no.
the first time i used it i was very impressed. a little goes a long way and the post shampoos feel was amazing. def no conditioner needed. I was somewhat of a skeptic on shampoo bars and threw one in on an order i was placing for shave stuff and am very pleased. wsp is reasonably priced and they ship so fast. Its worth trying and way better than the store bought chemical baths.
Thank you for your insight.:thumbup1:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
at the risk of being a metro / millennial I also got wsp hair balm too. very nice stuff. and yes I am shopping too much

I have been using Stirling Shampoo bar for the last two weeks and am very impressed. I have medium length hair and have been very happy with it.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have been using Stirling Shampoo bar for the last two weeks and am very impressed. I have medium length hair and have been very happy with it.
I have to remember to add one in my next order. Stirling is top notch too.

Whilst I've recently changed to a locally available shampoo soap, i was previously very happy with Liggett's. It's not inexpensive but the results are always great! I liked the moisturising formula the best.

Right now I use a liquid soap (real soap, not detergent) for everything: shampoo, body wash, face wash, and hand soap. But for the hair I also rinse with vinegar. I've tried regular soap bars (including Stirling's) but they didn't impress me when it came to hair, and refilling a pump bottle is far more convenient than trying to use up that last sliver of bar soap.

Eventually I'll try some "natural" shampoos but right now I really need to be budget-minded and what I have is "good enough."

I have hard water, so basically I'm trying to prevent a soap scum buildup in my hair, rather like using vinegar to clean your shaving brushes. It sounds a little weird but it definitely makes a difference with real soaps in hard water. I've heard that you should do it 2x-3x a week but I use the rinse every time I shower. Oh, and there's also something about it supposedly helping balance your skin pH but I don't know if I buy it.

Looking at the ingredients for Stirlings shampoo bar, it looks like a high quality soap that's good for your hair.
I'd give it a try if I wasn't already sitting on 10 pounds of homemade soap made for the same purpose.
Real soap certainly does your hair a lot of good!

How does rinsing your with vinegar help?
Apple cider vinegar with the "mother", such as Braggs, is really good for your skin. It's actually a toner, similar to witch hazel. You can mix it with some water and wash your face with it after shaving, and you can also add it to your bath water. The only downside is the smell, but that will disapate.

If you want details, just search Google or YouTube for Apple Cider Vinegar as toner.

Last edited:
The key for me (old codger) is to use a high quality shampoo. I have found D. R. Harris products superior to less expensive shampoos. I've used their shampoo bars and regular shampoos. I use a conditioner as well and shampoo daily. My hair is in terrific shape as a result.

I stopped using drugstore shampoo a couple of years ago, after my hairdresser advised me not to wash my hair every day - the harsh chemicals were stripping out oils and actually making my scalp produce more, and I was losing hair.

I switched to Bronner's liquid soap. I've recently tried a PAA shampoo & conditioning puck, Lime Ginger Tea Trea - which I highly recommend. It smells fresh, but not too much fragrance. I let my hair dry naturally, and I find the PAA bar holds my hairstyle in place better. (It's great to just use one product.)

Yeah, I occasionally used Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap for all over body wash and shampoo. It's nice in the tub, too. Another use is on a wet towel before a shave, to add some smell and clean the face. I like peppermint and lavender, but I haven't tried them all.

Top Bottom