What's new

Shamejedi's Hall of Fame Entry

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Username:
Shamejedi

What is your real name?
Richard

What are your nicknames/aliases?
Rich. To answer the question I've been asked since first grade: No, you may not call me "Dick" unless you wish to be party to an affair of honor. :wink2:

Where do you live?
Alexandria, VA

What is your age (or) generation?
Coming up fast on 35.

What are you in the real world?
All in all, I'm just another brick in the wall.

What is your favorite shave setup?
As a noob, I've got limited gear: just five weeks ago I bought a Silvertip brush with an olivewood handle from Parker Safety Razor (via Amazon.com) and ditched my old Mach 3 for a long-handled Merkur 38HD "Barber Pole". So far, I've achieved the best results with Derby Extras. (But if one or more of you sagacious, generous gentlemen of the forum would like to help a poor, unguided wetshaving wayfarer find the right path by swapping some of your interesting blades for part of my large stock of Derby, I would be ever so appreciative and I just know your Karmic rewards would be great. :ihih:)

I love Proraso so far--the whole shebang from pre-shave to tube cream to aftershave lotion. The stuff feels great, and has even gotten me BBS for the first time in my life. Ogallala Bay Rum products are catching up fast, though. I've been hooked on Bay Rum, Limes, and Peppercorns as my AS of choice this week, and have been really enjoying the feel of their shaving soap. I think it's eliminated all traces of acne in my shaving area (although, it doesn't seem to let me shave as closely as the Proraso unless I add a second XTG pass and buff a little). I've been sticking with the same blades as I try out new soaps and creams, to keep it scientific.

I also use an alum block. I am happy to say that it no longer gives me the same intense feedback it did for the first four or five of my DE shaves.

SWMBO makes fun of me because I've started microwaving wet towels while I brush my teeth in the morning. She just doesn't understand.

What are your hobbies and favorite activities?
Reading, watching classic films (as well as good flicks), cooking, and travelling (when time and funds allow, so it's not nearly as frequent as SWMBO and I would like).

What else should the members of B&B know about you?
I frequently confuse people who don't know me well, and sometimes even those who do. I love ancient epic poetry, but I still quote Southpark. I love home-cooking slow and sustainable food, but sometimes a 7-11 Big Bite with nacho cheese-type-product sauce and alleged "chili" is too good to pass up. I have several GB of classical and big band music on my iPod, but every once in a while "Dunkie Butt" or "Tube Snake Boogie" pops up on the randomizer and I have to jack up the volume. I will not, however, under any realistic circumstances, drink lousy beer or willingly go back to a cartridge razor. :001_smile

Thanks, gentlemen. I've been having a real blast the last few days reading up on older threads and enjoying the diverse personalities along with the wealth of knowledge. I even made my first purchase from the B/S/T forum. (Note to self: hide symptoms of possible RAD from SWMBO.)

$VaderFather_Cropped_text.jpg This is what happens when I'm bored. Doesn't translate so well into an avatar, though.

Richard, welcome to the Hall of Fame!

Thanks Matthew!

By the way, I have to say that I have been thoroughly enjoying the sampler packs I received this week! So far I've used Basilica, Vostok, Cayman, and Vetiver.

I intentionally busted out Vostok on the first cold morning we had this week because I hadn't slept well and wanted a pick-me-up. A faceful of that and an open car window on the way to work was better than a big mug of coffee!

I used Vetiver this morning, and have been complimented twice on how nice I smell. I've never really been exposed to vetiver before, but I thoroughly enjoy the rich, earthy, smokiness it brings. I used a bay rum, sage and cedar aftershave with it, and the whole thing is really working for me.

Basilica made my whole bathroom smell sanctified and my inner historian experience pure bliss. It reminded me, in a good way, of all the great cathedrals and old churches I visited during the years I lived in Europe studying medieval history. One of my female coworkers did a double-take when she leaned over my shoulder to look at a file, complimented me, and sniffed several times before we were done with our conference.

Cayman completely satisfies the Bay Rum monkey on my back. Spicy, but not over-the-top. Beautiful lather. In fact, I face lathered with Cayman the morning I got my Best Shave Yet.

You've got amazing products, and I can hardly wait to try the other six creams I received!

Last edited:
Top Bottom