Jamey, Honey, or Dad

Where do you live?
SE Pennsylvania

What is your age (or) generation?
About to turn 50

What are you in the real world?
Electrician and Substation Construction Manager

What is your favorite shave setup?
Muhle R89 head on an Elite Razor's wood handle, with Shark SS blades. Elite Razor wood handled brush. Not particular on soap. I shave 2 to 3 times per week.

I've been using this setup 99% nick-free for 10 years.

I started 12 years ago with a Merkur 3-piece (33C ?) and Wilkinson Sword blades. I cut myself every time I shaved and eventually gave up (tossed it after a year). Tried a Harry's cartridge razor but it was much too mild. Then ordered two Elite Razors handles (1 w/ Merkur head and 1 w/ Muhle head) and two brushes. I still have the handles & brushes and highly recommend Elite Razors. I found I liked the Muhle head better and after much sampling, decided I like the consistency of the Shark blades. Feather is also a great blade but I need to be careful on the first use (SO sharp!).

What are your hobbies and favorite activities?
My 12yo son is an avid soccer and football player, and I'm restoring a 1985 Mazda RX-7.

What else should the members of B&B know about you?
I've recently broken another zamak head (2nd in 10 years) and I'm trying out stainless heads now. Tonight I took my first shave with a Maggard SS70 and it was mixed results; I ended up with a VERY good shave, but I needed to apply lather more often than I'm used to. I think it's because I'm used to a scalloped SB, and this Maggard is a smooth bar. It seemed to wipe all the soap off with each pass and I got a few small nicks. It's a nice head at a good price, and I think it would be great for a daily-use shaver.

But I shave every 3 or 4 days, so need something a little heavier. I ordered a Timeless SS Dual-Comb setup (scalloped and open) in .95 and it should arrive this weekend. By then I'll have 3 days growth and can give it a good comparison to the Maggard I used tonight. I've never used an OC so this will let me compare scalloped to OC and see what works best for me. If it's too aggressive I plan to return the baseplate for a .68.

Top Bottom