What's new

Service for a Seiko automatic?

I have a Seiko automatic that's been in my "top drawer" for YEARS. It isn't working, but I hate to throw it away. The local jewelry store charges around $60 or $70 to send it off for an estimate.

Is there another option to get this watch working? I'd sure like to be able to use it.

Might be worth seeing if there is a shop in Lubbock that does service on site. I would think there might be.

If you can find a watch shop or a watch repair shop they would be able to do it on site. And give you an estimate upfront.
I have had success finding small businesses like watch repair and what not on Yelp.

Do you know how old the watch is and the model number? Here is a link to a site that can tell you the age - http://timeuniverse.com/photodatabase/seiko.html

I know a guy on a watch forum that does fantastic work on Seikos - both digital and automatic, though not sure he works on all models. He's serviced a '73 automatic for me and an '83 quartz for my father. He can get pretty backed up with jobs, but his work and communication are top notch.

I tried that site, but this watch doesn't seem to match the photo on the site. The photo shows a movement number and a serial number on the cover, but this watch has only a serial number on the cover -- 990877

It also has a number on the back, but doesn't seem to match -- 7009-6279P

I removed the back cover, and found 7009A on the movement, but the site doesn't show that movement number.

And -- the "Calculate" link seems to be broken as well.

Thanks for the help,
Earl

I tried that site, but this watch doesn't seem to match the photo on the site. The photo shows a movement number and a serial number on the cover, but this watch has only a serial number on the cover -- 990877

It also has a number on the back, but doesn't seem to match -- 7009-6279P

I removed the back cover, and found 7009A on the movement, but the site doesn't show that movement number.

And -- the "Calculate" link seems to be broken as well.

Thanks for the help,
Earl

I have another calculator that comes up with a production date of September 1989. Is this a Seiko 5 auto?

Let me know if you would like me to PM you the contact information for the watch repair person I referred to earlier. He's a great guy and should be able to answer any questions that you might have.

$60 - $70 for an estimate is a little (ok a lot) steep IMHO. New Seiko 5s can be had for ~ $60 so it's a tough call since an automatic service is typically > $100. If the watch has sentimental value, I can see having the movement cleaned, oiled, and adjusted. Any watchmaker worth his or her salt will charge you nothing for an estimate. I've had a couple watches refurbished through Jay at MCWW: http://www.motorcitywatchworks.com/. His work is top notch, reasonably priced, and he's always been accessible in the case that I have questions afterwords.

I didn't know Seiko still makes automatics. This is just a watch that quit working many years ago and was just too nice to throw away.

How do I tell if it's a "Seiko 5"???

The '7009' on the case back indicates that it's a Seiko 5. Most watches within the '5' series have a number 5 somewhere on the dial, though not all of them do.

I would agree with others who have suggested to simply purchase another Seiko 5, unless this one has sentimental value to you. The cost to repair/service will almost definitely surpass the cost of a new watch within that series.

Top Bottom