What's new

Serious Question: Tobacco Type Shaving Soaps & Aftershaves

Preface:
Im sure some of you will scoff or think this is a dumb question, but it isnt dumb to me. Ive had a terrible time with nicotine addiction and have been clean for nearly 2 years now. Cold Turkey. I had terrible withdrawals and never want to experience that again. There is no such thing as "just one" in my world.

Question:
Do tobacco type/scented shaving soaps (and creams) contain nicotine? I ask because if they are made with EO's from the tobacco plant/flower, etc, and nicotine naturally occurs within the tobacco plant - does that mean nicotine is contained in shaving products? Im particularly concered about artisan soap makers using an EO that contains nicotine. If there is any doubt, I dont have to use any tobacco type shaving product. Ive read descriptions of Tabac and it seems like a scent I would enjoy. I also got a sample of Indian Tobacco from Mama Bear but have been scared to try it. There are also some other artisan soaps that have offerings that sound good, but Im worried about any nicotine content. I thought it better to ask and see if any of you have any insight into my question. I actually went as far to look up Tabac on the internet but wasnt able to send an email to inquire directly from them.

"Not enough to matter" isnt an option for me. It has to be none. Thanks for anyone who can help me find the answers.

J

Interesting question. I'll be interested to hear from people who actually know the answer. I don't, unfortunately. I've actually wondered this myself, especially with preparations that utilize actual essential oils of tobacco, rather than fragrance oils. For instance, Alt Innsbruck aftershave says right on the label it is scented with Nicotiana Tobacum. Most people seem to use it without a problem, but for someone in your situation, I can see why there would be a concern, especially if your standard for acceptability is absolute zero, rather than a tolerable level.

Something else to consider: aside from the nicotine concerns, do you suppose there's a chance of the smell of real tobacco causing you to have cravings? I've never smoked, but I do think the smell of unburned tobacco leaf smells great. If you have an association with that smell and smoking (say, the smell of cigarettes in the pack, as you take one out), I wonder if that's a temptation you're better off avoiding. Just a thought.

Something else to consider: aside from the nicotine concerns, do you suppose there's a chance of the smell of real tobacco causing you to have cravings? I've never smoked, but I do think the smell of unburned tobacco leaf smells great. If you have an association with that smell and smoking (say, the smell of cigarettes in the pack, as you take one out), I wonder if that's a temptation you're better off avoiding. Just a thought.

That's true. I have asthma and used to smoke a long time ago. I was primarily a dipper and nicotine gum user. There is nothing about a cigarette or cigar that entices me at all. If I smell smoke, my asthma kicks up and I cough like crazy. My dad dips and a few other acquaintances do, too. It doesnt tempt me at all. The smell of smokeless tobacco products stink to me now. Ive had some chunks of flesh cut out of my mouth that dipping and smoking caused (not cancer). I have to be strict with myself about it. I can easily just not use any products with a tobacco base to be safe. I just love scents (and wet shaving) and would like to experience as much as I can.

I smelled the Indian Tobacco from Mama Bear's and it smelled floral and like a flower. If I smelled that out somewhere, Id never associate it with dipping, chewing, or smoking at all. My main concern is whether tobacco shaving products would have nicotine. Thank you so much for responses and for understanding.

Seems like I saw somewhere that Rod from Sterling Soap mentioned using a "blond" in a tobacco scent to be sure the nicotine would be stripped out of it. I found that by searching a few weeks ago, but since reading that, it really made me think about it even more.

I found the following info;

https://m.facebook.com/StirlingSoap/posts/558634557577695

http://susansoaps.com/P/EXOTIC-SOAP/sweet-tobacco-soap.html

I would suggest finding the artisans that have a tobacco soap that interests you and emailing them to ask. Most of the artisans are more than happy to answer for you.

Tabac is made by Maurer and Wirtz who can be contacted here http://www.m-w.de/contact/language/en.html

Welcome to badger and blade and good luck.

Thank you so much, burg1198!! You found what I was talking about. I didnt even know you had posted your reply until I had posted mine already. That seems to indicate that nicotine at least can be present in the EO's.

If that is so, how are artisan soap makers (and orher companies) getting around selling to minors? I know it isnt a tobacco product but it contains nicotine just the same - much like nicotine gum and other forms of nicotine.

Btw, Im in NO WAY trying to cause problems for any artisan soap makers. I respect their trade and appreciate what they do.

Thank you so much, burg1198!! You found what I was talking about. I didnt even know you had posted your reply until I had posted mine already. That seems to indicate that nicotine at least can be present in the EO's.

If that is so, how are artisan soap makers (and orher companies) getting around selling to minors? I know it isnt a tobacco product but it contains nicotine just the same - much like nicotine gum and other forms of nicotine.

Btw, Im in NO WAY trying to cause problems for any artisan soap makers. I respect their trade and appreciate what they do.

Like most things that are regulated there is probably a certain level that is permissible before it is necessary to be labeled and restricted. I can't imagine a soap would have enough nicotine to reach that level. Your concern is a different matter all together. I am a former smokeless user myself and completely avoid it as well since quitting over a year ago as I know it would only take a dip to get me hooked again.

When I was gardening in England, a popular decorative flower was Nicotiana Tobacum, grown for its very aromatic flowers. This usage had nothing to do with tobacco usage as we know it: cigarettes, cigars, pipes, snuff, dip, snus, etc. This (very pleasant) floral scent is what soap-makers are trying to capture. And since the essential oil comes from the Nicotiana Tobacum plant, it might indeed contain nicotine.

I add a big: "Ithink." Are there any soap/shaving products out there that DO use the leave rather than the flower of the Nicotiana Tobacum plant? Tabac? I sniffed Tabac once, and I hated it, but I don't remember the exact smell.

When I was gardening in England, a popular decorative flower was Nicotiana Tobacum, grown for its very aromatic flowers. This usage had nothing to do with tobacco usage as we know it: cigarettes, cigars, pipes, snuff, dip, snus, etc. This (very pleasant) floral scent is what soap-makers are trying to capture. And since the essential oil comes from Nicotiana Tobacum plant, it might indeed contain nicotine.

Right. The tobacco in Alt Innsbruck is the flower, rather than the leaf. However, the sales copy makes a point of saying it uses "the best Virginia tobacco" in the formulation. I don't know whether nicotine is limited to the leaves, or is present in the whole plant, including the flower. Assuming the latter, I also don't know if the oil extracted from the flower is subjected to a nicotine removal process. Beyond that, I also don't know if nicotine removal removes 100% of nicotine, or just reduces it to low levels, like in decaffeinated coffee. So what we're left with is a ton of "I think" and "I don't know." It's not the certainty the OP was hoping for. Maybe he'll have better luck speaking directly to the product makers.

You sound like you really want to avoid smoking again. My father tried quitting several times. The smell kept brining him back. He died of From complications of emphysema and heard disease. Both were related directly to smoking.

I recommend you steer clear rather than flirt with any of the tobacco related products. There are so many other scents you'll really enjoy.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.

Here it says sometimes. Fragrantica says it is derived from the macerated plant. In any case, awesome job quitting smoking. That is one of the most difficult undertakings. There are thousands of fragrances without tobacco as a note. Take all the savings from quitting and buy a really, really nice bottle as a thank you to yourself.
Nice job!

Nicotine is a highly water soluble alkaloid. As such, levels in an EO would be extremely low. That said, given the multifactoral nature of addictions, it would still be in your best interest to avoid products containing tobacco extracts of any kind.

As an ex-smoker myself, I will throw in my two scents. The smell of a good cigar/pipe makes me crave a cigarette. Watching a movie where people smoke, makes me want a cigarette. I've been 99.5% smoke free for over 10 years, with the occasional "just one." When I was at two years, there is no way I could have done the "just one." Even now, its difficult.

You addiction to nicotine is based on two levels. Your chemical dependence, and your psychological dependence.

The chemical dependency only last 2-4 weeks from a biological perspective. The remaining is psychological, which lasts for life. It is the hardest one to resist temptation. If it wasn't for the psychological aspect, then gum, patches, or other alternatives would work for everyone!

My point being, that a tobacco shaving soap is going to do nothing by torture your psychological sense of your addiction. Rush your brain, and its neurological receptors with a flood of memories. Why put yourself in that situation? Personally, I'd avoid it.

I feel like we are similar in the nicotine addiction - 2.5 years clean for me, and the smell of someone smoking will still trigger my demon. I cannot have 1 or I will be buying a carton immediately. There are beers I have to avoid because it triggers an almost overwhelming urge to light up. I still find that I have to make a daily decision to not have a smoke.

I have used the RazoRock Tobacco soaps with no issue. The smell reminds me more of pipe tobacco than cigarette or chew. I've noticed no urge after shaving or any nicotine type responses in myself.

All that said - if you are concerned about it, I see no reason to put yourself through any potential stress/temptation. There are plenty of other options out there without doing something that could even potentially put the thought in your head.

Congrats on the 2 years and good luck going forward.

The ingredients for Tabac are on Amazon:

Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Parfum, Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, CI 77891, Limonene, Hydroxycitronellal, Linalool, Citronellol, Coumarin, AlphaIsomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Alcohol, Citral, Eugenol

Since it's not a usable form of nicotine there is no law to regulate it. Growing up I used to help my neighbor cut tobacco a couple times a year. There's no law that states a minor isn't allowed to walk through a tobacco field since tobacco growing in a field isn't a usable form of tobacco until it has been dried and processed. At that point it is illegal to distribute it to a minor.

In addition, I doubt there are very many (if any) individuals who are wet shaving and are under 18 years old in the United States and also using tobacco scented shaving soap.

Last edited:
THANKS to everyone for replying and trying to help me figure this out, for supplying links, and sharing your own personal experiences. I'm not concerned about triggering a crave. I am most definitely concerned about nicotine getting into my system. If I let nicotine into my system, I'd probably be face deep in a can of dip by this evening and then back to 2 cans a day by tomorrow with nicotine gum in my pocket in the event I was somewhere I couldn't dip. Looks like it is going to be the safest bet for me to just avoid tobacco type scents. I'm very willing to just try other soaps, etc.

As an ex-smoker myself, I will throw in my two scents. The smell of a good cigar/pipe makes me crave a cigarette. Watching a movie where people smoke, makes me want a cigarette. I've been 99.5% smoke free for over 10 years, with the occasional "just one." When I was at two years, there is no way I could have done the "just one." Even now, its difficult.

You addiction to nicotine is based on two levels. Your chemical dependence, and your psychological dependence.

The chemical dependency only last 2-4 weeks from a biological perspective. The remaining is psychological, which lasts for life. It is the hardest one to resist temptation. If it wasn't for the psychological aspect, then gum, patches, or other alternatives would work for everyone!

My point being, that a tobacco shaving soap is going to do nothing by torture your psychological sense of your addiction. Rush your brain, and its neurological receptors with a flood of memories. Why put yourself in that situation? Personally, I'd avoid it.

Thank you (and YellowFever77 and KindestCutofAll) for sharing your personal experiences. Yep, my physical withdrawals were very strong for 14 days, then gradually got less intense. Even at days 60-120 I felt like a vampire craving and wanting it, although I know it was mental. I rarely get any sort of mental craving anymore. Using isn't an option for me, so I just think about something else if I do. Like you, every morning I make my decision to quit, and I quit one day at a time, only. I use online accountability/quit forum to help me. Today is 640 days for me and I haven't missed a single day yet waking up first thing in the morning and making my promise to my quit-family to stay clean no matter what the day holds. There is no "cure" for addiction but there is resolution and resolve to finish this journey I started.

Again, I really appreciate every single person that has contributed to this thread. I wasn't sure how this question would go over as there is definitely a cult following of the tobacco type scents. I'm just gonna steer clear of such, unless a soap maker can guarantee there is no nicotine in the product.

Last edited:
Since it's not a usable form of nicotine there is no law to regulate it. Growing up I used to help my neighbor cut tobacco a couple times a year. There's no law that states a minor isn't allowed to walk through a tobacco field since tobacco growing in a field isn't a usable form of tobacco until it has been dried and processed. At that point it is illegal to distribute it to a minor.

In addition, I doubt there are very many (if any) individuals who are wet shaving and are under 18 years old in the United States and also using tobacco scented shaving soap.

For some reason, I didn't see your reply until just now. Thanks for the analogy, and that makes a lot of sense. I still better not risk it.

HagbardCeline's Wikipedia post confirmed my suspicion about it. I appreciate it, gents!

Your question isn't dumb. It's thoughtful and interesting. I don't have a scientific answer for you, but I have to ask, "Why chance it?" You've accomplished something, overcoming nicotine addiction, that thousands and thousands of others have tried and failed. Good for you. Great for you, friend.

There are all kinds of wonderfully scented shaving products out there. Enjoy them. There's no need to mess around with something that may not be in your best interest.

Top Bottom