What's new

Semogue Owners Club Badger: Surprising

I recently picked up a very lightly used SOC 2-band badger out of curiosity. I really like the handle shape and color and the size is nice as well. I've been meaning to try it for years now but the reports of it being somewhat scratchy held me off. I have sensitive skin and don't like any scratch, scritch, or prickle.

Comparing it to the SOC boar, the handle is the exact same which is great. Very comfortable with nice color and a smooth finish.

I haven't measured the knot, but I'd bet it's around 24x52. From what I've seen of Semogue knots, they are a bit different than many others due to the metal ring. The knot is not a deep plug of hair that sticks straight up and down, but hairs shallowly set in the plug at a predefined splay. That may be why they look so "wild" compared to Omega. As such, I think they tend to measure a bit smaller and have less density than expected.

Out of the box it seemed fairly scratchy, but badger changes when wet. I soaked it for a few minutes and it softened a bit. Then I gave it a good half dozen palm lathers and it softened even more.

What really surprised me was that I expected a stiff 2-band hair with plenty of backbone and some degree of soft tips. To me, the knot felt EXACTLY like a Simpson Best brush. There was much less backbone than any 2-band I've used, including Shavemac, Thater, TGN Finest, and Vintage Blades. The tips were also a bit of a darker, grayish blond rather than the brighter tips of most 2-band brushes.

And while the tips did not curl to become gel soft like many 2-band badgers, they were relatively soft when wet and especially after being loaded with soap. Again, the feel was very similar to a Simpson, but the density was much less. So while a Simpson Best is too scratchy for my skin, this was acceptable because the lower density resulted in lower backbone and less pressure on the skin.

Another unexpected advantage was the lower density badger in building lather. For the last several years, preferences have shifted from high lofted badger brushes with lower density that are very soft (think Kent) to lower lofted badger brushes with high density that are very scrubby (think Simpson). Having a lower density badger might not provide the scrubby sensation, but it does build lather quickly and release it easier as well.

Overall, I would say it is a good brush, though not great. I don't think this is 2-band hair the way we normally think of it but rather Best badger hair. But the knot is good quality and the handle is excellent. While there are probably better values closer to $100 (like Shavemac Finest), I have seen it between $70-75 some places. If you're looking for a badger for both face and bowl lathering and like a larger handle, this is definitely worth checking out.

Here it is compared to the SOC boar and the Shavemac 2 band silvertip 24x48 fan:

proxy.php

proxy.php

My SOC 2-band is very enjoyable to use, and a great brush. Loft is lower than the SOC boars I had and sold. Unlike yours, mine is pretty dense and has plenty of backbone.

Not sure if vintage scent still does anniversary sales- but it's a great deal if they do.

I love my SOC 2-Band Badger once the tips has soften up after about 15 or 20 used either hand or bowl lather the tips will soften up some hair will started to curl (more) and therefore starting to feel more like "gel" tips, and once this is done and starting to feel more like "gel" tips you can face lather without any scritching or scratchy feel.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have this brush on order, but would clarify if this is the one:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Sem...adger-Shaving-Brush-Cherry-Handle_p_1514.html

How would this compare to the ones made by Saville Row 3824 ?

Thanks in advance.
@caprisun the link you've provide above is the SOC 2-Band Badger remember this the badger hair is Finest or Best and you will have scritchy or scratchy feel, and is not a silvertip which is softer and you won't get any scritchy or scratchy feel which mean you can used it straight away.

You have to be very patient once the tips has soften up after about 15 or 20 used either hand or bowl lather the tips will soften up some hair will started to curl (more) and therefore starting to feel more like "gel" tips, and once this is done and starting to feel more like "gel" tips you can face lather without any scritching or scratchy feel remember is worth the wait and patient and if you still don't like just sell it.

However I don't own a Saville Row 3824 so I can't really compare the difference sorry

Thanks Speedy, appreciate the help!!! if i want to go higher than the SOC 2 band badger, what can you recommend from the Semogue line ? i would prefer a brush that can do face and bowl lather.... currently have edwin jagger best badger brush and it seems to do well.... was hoping the SOC 2 band badger would be better brush or an upgrade.

Thanks Speedy, appreciate the help!!! if i want to go higher than the SOC 2 band badger, what can you recommend from the Semogue line ? i would prefer a brush that can do face and bowl lather.... currently have edwin jagger best badger brush and it seems to do well.... was hoping the SOC 2 band badger would be better brush or an upgrade.

This brush should be an improvement from the Edwin Jager. It's good for face lathering and Nick shaves does a decent review on Youtube (I can't link it, I'm on a work computer).

From the Semogue line the SOC is meant to be the best badger brush they do however they also have a "2015 HD Silvertip" that some would argue is better (price isn't a great comparison but it's cheaper than the SOC on the sites i've looked at). I haven't tried it so can't compare the two.

From the Semogue line i'd definitely recommend the SOC and there's a load of threads on this site attesting to that as well. On top of that if you'd consider a boar Semogue (and Omega) have some excellent offerings. You can't go wrong with most of them (although i like the Omega 830). A decent boar will get very soft after the break in period and will easily lather anything, whether on your face or in a bowl. Also the price point is a lot lower compared to a high end badger.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with Semogue brushes, especially the SOC but if you're delving into boar's I'd look at Omega's as well. There's at least one review on this forum for each brush if you need help.

This brush should be an improvement from the Edwin Jager. It's good for face lathering and Nick shaves does a decent review on Youtube (I can't link it, I'm on a work computer).

From the Semogue line the SOC is meant to be the best badger brush they do however they also have a "2015 HD Silvertip" that some would argue is better (price isn't a great comparison but it's cheaper than the SOC on the sites i've looked at). I haven't tried it so can't compare the two.

From the Semogue line i'd definitely recommend the SOC and there's a load of threads on this site attesting to that as well. On top of that if you'd consider a boar Semogue (and Omega) have some excellent offerings. You can't go wrong with most of them (although i like the Omega 830). A decent boar will get very soft after the break in period and will easily lather anything, whether on your face or in a bowl. Also the price point is a lot lower compared to a high end badger.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with Semogue brushes, especially the SOC but if you're delving into boar's I'd look at Omega's as well. There's at least one review on this forum for each brush if you need help.

## thanks for chiming in... I do have the SOC badger on order and waiting anxiously...

For the boar brush I'm looking @ the Semogue 830 or the Semogue SOC boar.

However, I might jump into the Saville Row silver tip badger....one of these days...

Its because of Nick Shaves i got the SOC Badger Brush, but confused whether its really a badger brush or silvertip brush ???

@caprisun keep in mind the SOC 2 band badger is the only brush has the biggest knot on the Semogue market which is a 24mm knot and the loft is 53mm, however I wouldn't choose badger brush with a 21 or 22mm knot with a loft greater than 53m at least which will be too much splaying and become too floppy during face lathering you can use these as a bowl lathering without any issue.

Remember you need to watch out 3 things badger hair grade, knot size and loft size before you start buying only if your choosing to face lathering instead of bowl lathering, because each badger brush are design for face lathering some for bowl lathering and sometime both depends where you look and how much are you prepare to spend your money on a brush.

## thanks for chiming in... I do have the SOC badger on order and waiting anxiously...

However, I might jump into the Saville Row silver tip badger....one of these days...

Too rich for my blood mate :lol:

I did the same, I'm not sure what grade of badger it is but it's a nice brush, i don't think it's a silver tip, especially not at that price but who knows. I was exclusively boar until this brush so I'm new in the whole "badger clique". I've seen it compared to a best badger Simpson's but I thought you weren't really meant to pay attention to the hair grade? It works well and that's good enough for me :001_smile

IF your want a Semogue boar brush for face lathering just grab either a 620 or 830 or get both remember to be very patient once the boar is fully broken in and the brush will be very soft like a badger brush without any scritchy or scratchy feel.

Its because of Nick Shaves i got the SOC Badger Brush, but confused whether its really a badger brush or silvertip brush ???
@caprisun the SOC 2-band badger is not a silvertip, SOC 2-band badger is finest hair grade (as best badger) if this was a silvertip it wouldn't have any scritchy or scratchy feel straight away during your shave.

@caprisun keep in mind the SOC 2 band badger is the only brush has the biggest knot on the Semogue market which is a 24mm knot and the loft is 53mm, however I wouldn't choose badger brush with a 21 or 22mm knot with a loft greater than 53m at least which will be too much splaying and become too floppy during face lathering you can use these as a bowl lathering without any issue.

Remember you need to watch out 3 things badger hair grade, knot size and loft size before you start buying only if your choosing to face lathering instead of bowl lathering, because each badger brush are design for face lathering some for bowl lathering and sometime both depends where you look and how much are you prepare to spend your money on a brush.

SpeedyPC, thanks for chiming in... Lots of useful info... Ok, can you help me classify if the following brush is for face lathering or for bowl lathering or can do both ?

a.) Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush
b.) Semogue 830
c.) Semogue SOC boar
d.) Semogue SOC badger (the one i got)
e.) Saville Row 3824 silver tip

Thanks for the help

@caprisun okay

a.) Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush - Never own this brush 21mm knot with 53mm loft looks a little bit floppy not too sure should be okay for face lathering if you can find a 22mm knot with a max. 53mm loft should be okay don't quote me on that.

b.) Semogue 830 - I've own this brush 23mm with 55mm loft both okay for face and bowl with out any issue.

c.) Semogue SOC boar - I've own this brush when it becomes fully broken in first so the boar hair is soft and it becomes too floppy for me for face lathering should be bowl 24mm knot with 57mm loft.

d.) Semogue SOC badger (the one i got) - I've own this too brush 24mm knot with 53mm loft 2-band both face and bowl with out any issue remember be very patient once the tips has soften up after about 15 or 20 used either hand or bowl lather, and the tips will soften up some hair will started to curl (more) and therefore starting to feel more like "gel" tips otherwise it will be scritchy to face lather. And it can go both face and bowl.

e.) Saville Row 3824 silver tip - Never own this brush 24mm knot with 54mm loft according to many reviews saying they can face lather with out any issue should be okay don't quote me on that.

Last edited:
I don't have a Savile Row but I have a Thater which is the same thing but 2mm shorter loft. I spent some time comparing it to the SOC badger last night.

Savile Row is going to be softer, denser, and more of a pointy bulb shape. It's going to scrub your face more but it's going to feel a bit softer in the process. It will feel smaller on the face because of the bulb shape and may hog lather a bit more because of the density.

Also, I measured the SOC badger last night with a knot size of ~ 23mm and a loft of ~ 52.5mm. The SOC boar had a knot ~ 25mm and a loft ~ 54.5mm. The Thater also measures ~ 25mm knot and ~ 52mm loft but the Savile Row would be a bit taller.

@caprisun okay

a.) Edwin Jagger Best Badger Brush - Never own this brush 21mm knot with 53mm loft looks a little bit floppy not too sure should be okay for face lathering if you can find a 22mm knot with a max. 53mm loft should be okay don't quote me on that.

b.) Semogue 830 - I've own this brush 23mm with 55mm loft both okay for face and bowl with out any issue.

c.) Semogue SOC boar - I've own this brush when it becomes fully broken in first so the boar hair is soft and it becomes too floppy for me for face lathering should be bowl 24mm knot with 57mm loft.

d.) Semogue SOC badger (the one i got) - I've own this too brush 24mm knot with 53mm loft 2-band both face and bowl with out any issue remember be very patient once the tips has soften up after about 15 or 20 used either hand or bowl lather, and the tips will soften up some hair will started to curl (more) and therefore starting to feel more like "gel" tips otherwise it will be scritchy to face lather. And it can go both face and bowl.

e.) Saville Row 3824 silver tip - Never own this brush 24mm knot with 54mm loft according to many reviews saying they can face lather with out any issue should be okay don't quote me on that.

Thanks for this speedypc, much appreciated, i cant wait to get my SOC badger....
Im also ordering a saville 3824 in the future.... and that would be it for it as far as brushes is concern. however the 830 for $20 would not be too bad either.

Top Bottom