What's new

Semogue OC boar sponges up lather

My wife bought me a Semogue 830 some years ago for Christmas, because I asked her to. Anyway it has never been able to lather properly, I have tried everything and every soap and cream. It seems to lather OK initially but as you start loading your beard after about 30 seconds of moving the brush around the face it starts to disappear until the lather is almost reduced to a thin cream/milk. It's quite a thing to see but very annoying as I like the brush but can't use it. It does not matter how much soap I use it simply vanishes! I have other boar brushes from Omega that make great lather with the same product, water and technique so ever since I have avoided Semogue like the plague just in case I get another like it.

I think it's not eating lather, it's not picking up lather. Boar brushes just don't hang on to lather until the fibers start to wear. For Semogues that can take a fair number of uses. Try bowl lathering. That will allow you to monitor lather development and give you a reservoir of lather for your shave. Don't be afraid to go back to the puck or use extra cream during the shave. Eventually the fibers will start picking up, holding and releasing lather as they should. Be patient and you'll be rewarded with a nice brush.

I've owned three 830s. The lather isn't disappearing. It is in the center of the brush. You can squeeze it out. They take time to break in, then they release lather easier.

I've got a Semogue 2000. It consumes more soap than my other brushes. It has become my designated Arko brush because no matter how much I use, I can always find a couple of coins under my sofa cushions and the floormats of my car and buy a lifetime's worth.

I've had an SOC for two years and it has the same problem. It worked great at first but gradually splayed out, and after the first pass, started yielding only watery lather. I'm ready to get rid of it. I bought an Omega at the same time and it's only gotten better. The SOC uses a different type of boar hair. Maybe there's something wrong there. Pretty brush, though. I wish it would work for me.

Top Bottom