What's new

Semogue Caravela - LE to the Extreme

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
So, in another post, I commented that I had never before heard of a badger/boar combination brush, and given the extremely high quality of all the Semogue boars I have, I might have to jump on this one too.

Well, Google is an amazing thing, and after a couple minutes of looking around, I determined:

This is a limited edition brush designed in conjunction with two Spanish shaving forums.
(Source.)

By limited edition, I mean "extremely limited edition." Apparently, only 100 of these were made, and they went on sale to the members of the Spanish shaving forums first. Those scoundrels bought up all but 30 of them. (Source.)

What this means is that vintagescent has 30 or fewer of these brushes leftover. I have already bought mine:001_wub:... who is going to get the rest of them? This is the limitedest-edition I have ever heard of!!:001_tt1:

Actually, one of the forums is Spanish (foroafeitado.com) and the other is Portuguese (barbearclassico.com). This was a limited edition, specially made for both the Iberian forums.

#80 is already here, oh yeah! :)

proxy.php

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
How does it perform? I've got one on the way and can't wait to see how the badger/boar synthesis works out.

Actually, one of the forums is Spanish (foroafeitado.com) and the other is Portuguese (barbearclassico.com). This was a limited edition, specially made for both the Iberian forums.

#80 is already here, oh yeah! :)

proxy.php

I have two Semogues and couldn't be happier with them. I have nothing negative to say about the company, either. That is a beautiful brush; love the caravel etched on the bottom!

Can't say much about the performance, as I've only used it half a dozen times. But it is a dense brush, with a 24mm knot. The tips are soft (typical of both hair types) and it has nice backbone, which I value a lot. It produces lather with ease, and applies it even better because of its surface area.
What I can comment on is the handle. Looks much better than in the photos IMHO, and it is very comfortable to hold.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The top quality boar hair, the soft badger hair with backbone, and the LE run made me lose my will!! I would love to hear how it treats you once it opens up.!

The Vulfix 404 Grosvenor is a mixed badger/boar.

The exclusivity doesn't excite me that much... am I being cranky??

Anyway, it looks like an interesting brush. Enjoy. :thumbup1:

Hello all -

Would this work as a face lather (seems a bit big...)? I like the mixed brushes and am looking for a new brush...

Hello all -

Would this work as a face lather (seems a bit big...)? I like the mixed brushes and am looking for a new brush...

Hello, I don't have this brush so if you want an answer about this specific then you will have to wait for someone who owns it. However, I own a similarly sized brush - the SOC 2 band brush that also has a 24mm knot and an approximately 52mm loft. I find no problem face lathering with this brush. Since I don't own one of these I cannot say that it would work great as a face lathering brush but I don't have a problem face lathering with a similarly sized brush. :thumbup1:

It is a beautiful brush... :001_unsur

The Vulfix 404 Grosvenor is a mixed badger/boar.

The exclusivity doesn't excite me that much... am I being cranky??

Anyway, it looks like an interesting brush. Enjoy. :thumbup1:

I have a Grosvenor too, and it's not even close to this. Let's see why:

The Grosvenor is a mixture of boar bristles and only about 10%-15% of pure badger bristles. Low density, a little bit scratchy, but a good brush for the price, IMHO.

The Semogue Caravela is a mixture of 50% boar bristles (Premium 90% tops, like in the 1305 and 830 models) and 50% Finest Badger hair (like in the SOC 2-band model). Soft tips, very dense, 24mm knot, a huge amount of backbone. It is not the exclusivity... it is indeed a much more better, nicer brush than the Grosvenor model.

Hello all -

Well... This model was specifically designed for facelatherers, but it behaves excellent with bowllathering too.

Oh, and a few photos of mine (#77):

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom