What's new

Second Brush Restoration

Here is my recent restoration. I purchased the Ever Ready brush on Ebay and the knot from TNG (Silver Tip 20mm).

I put the old bristle into a bench vice leaving about 1/4 inch showing above the vice and cut it with a hack saw. The remaining bristle was so dry I could pretty much pull it out.

Then I used a 3/4" Forstner bit and drilled out the hole leaving the shelf intact. I cleaned out the hole a bit with a Dremel flat wheel cutter/sander to get rid of the little ridge left because the Forstner bit was just a bit smaller than the opening.

I cleaned and polished the handle with Flitz.

I set the knot using epoxy. I'm afraid I may have used too much but hopefully it will bloom.

Before:

View attachment 133838

View attachment 133839

After:

View attachment 133840

View attachment 133841

Thanks for looking.

Beautiful brush Mack. It is a very satisfying process to take a nice handle like yours and turn it into a brush that I am sure will be a favorite.

Best regards,

Doug

Beautiful brush Mack. It is a very satisfying process to take a nice handle like yours and turn it into a brush that I am sure will be a favorite.

Best regards,

Doug
Thanks Doug. It is fun and satisfying. My first was my father's old Made Rite boar brush that I turned into a badger. I wish I had taken photos of that one.

Some of the old handles are very handsome and still have a potentially long life.

Michael

Thanks Scrom. I'm looking forward to using it. I just set the knot this morning so I probably won't use it until Sunday.

Mack:

Great job and a beautiful finished brush. Thank you for sharing some of your insider secrets for us newbie brush restorers. Please let us know how it works when you finally use your brush.

Don

Thanks to all. I value your feedback.

I used this morning for the first time with a TOBS cream. This is the first Silver Tip I've owned and I'm very happy with how it performed. :thumbup:

It is soft and holds a lot of water. I think it feels great. It did shed a bit but that's normal I think. It looks like it will bloom nicely and look good.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom