What's new

Vintage Brush Restoration Timeline

I was checking out some antique stores last week and picked up these two brushes for a few dollars. The red one is an Ever Ready 50 CA and the ivory one is an Erskine (no model number). Both have well-worn badger knots and are basically unusable as-is.

What I'm going to do is document my step-by-step process for restoring these brushes to working condition. I'll post updates over the next few weeks as I progress.

IMG_0022-2.jpg

IMG_0024-2.jpg

At this point, nothing has been done other than a quick cleaning. My first step will be to cut down the bristles and drill out the knots. I'll post updates to this thread as I complete the steps.

Part #2 - Cutting off the knots.

Using a sharp, sturdy knife, I sliced off the bristles flush with top of the brush. The red Ever Ready cut off easily, but the Erskine required some significant effort, due to the adhesive wicked up into the knot.

IMG_0026.jpg

Part #4 - Cleaning out the cavity.

My favorite tool for this is an old, narrow (1/4") wood chisel I picked up at a flea market. I've tried using Forstner drill bits but I don't feel I have the control. Starting at the drill hole in the center, I tap small chunks of the knot and pry them out. Once again, the Red Ever Ready pops out easily but the Erskine is going to take a lot more work. The Ever Ready has a solid base with a deep (20mm) knot cavity, so other than some clean-out with a Dremel, it won't need much extra. The hole is 20mm wide, so I'll probably just enlarge it a bit and load it with a 20mm knot. The Erskine seems to be hollow and filled with plaster. This will take grinding with a Dremel bit to deepen it enough for a new knot. The hole is only 17mm across but it looks like I can open it up to 21-22mm and also load a 20mm knot. I'll wait to order knots until I have both totally cleaned out and holes enlarged.

That's it for today!

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5
Still making progress. I finished cleaning out the old cement/glue/plaster/rubber/whatever. The work was done with an electric drill down the center and then chipping away from the sides. It wasn't very difficult. My next step is to take the Dremel tool with a sanding drum and enlarge the openings on both brushes. Once I'm happy with the hole sizes, I'll measure them up and order the new knots. I'm not sure if I want to go synthetic or badger, but I'll decide once I see what's available in the sizes I'll need.

Cleaned Out.jpg

Top Bottom