What's new

Second Brush Question

I’ve spent thousands on brushes. My favorites in terms of performance are my Simpson Duke 3 Best Badger and Semogue Owners Club Cherry Boar.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I would never buy a brush because I liked the stand. That would be like buying a home because I like an attractive tree in the front yard.

Think: priorities
Well..... depends on the tree my friend. LOL, I have lived in this house my whole life, and when the house nextdoor burned pretty bad, I bought it for the 300+ year old oak tree I grew up too scared to climb! Had to pay for the house to be torn down. My wife wouldn't let me turn it into a barn!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Well..... depends on the tree my friend. LOL, I have lived in this house my whole life, and when the house nextdoor burned pretty bad, I bought it for the 300+ year old oak tree I grew up too scared to climb! Had to pay for the house to be torn down. My wife wouldn't let me turn it into a barn!
Yup, if this is the tree in question, you go the extra mile
Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 11.14.51 PM.jpg

FarmerTan

View attachment 1419325
About half that size. White oak. Pretty healthy. I'm going to have an Arborist give it a check up this summer to see what I can do to help it stay healthy.

I'm no tree hugger, but I'm getting old and awful soft the older I get. I have been blessed to look at this property as not really mine since I bought it. I feel like a steward to be honest.

This old tree's lowest limb is about 12 or more feet off the ground. It does DEFINITELY need some careful pruning at the very least.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Oaks, generally trim them in the winter and they do ok. We have a yard full of Red and Whites. We took down a big one and I counted rings. Came up with a birth of around 1870 or so.

Not a tree hugger either but a healthy appreciation of things that aren't easily replaced.

FarmerTan

Oaks, generally trim them in the winter and they do ok. We have a yard full of Red and Whites. We took down a big one and I counted rings. Came up with a birth of around 1870 or so.

Not a tree hugger either but a healthy appreciation of things that aren't easily replaced.
I've heated almost exclusively with wood for 45+ years, and I bet that 90 to 95 was standing dead trees or deadfall. It's totally changed the composition of my woods though, the little amount of live wood my Dad and I cut....all we cut live was Sassafras and Poplar. Lol, back then Popple was pretty much a weed. Now those areas are filled with beautiful Maple and some Oaks, thanks to the squirrels.

Dave, Can we get a pic of that tree?
Would love to see it!
Thanks!

View attachment 1419325
Beautiful tree. We just returned from Costa Rica. They get pretty big in the interior, there. This one is in Monteverde.

IMG_7025.jpeg

Must say though (to stay somewhat on topic, lol): if that Muhle Rocca brush was very much in the ballpark of what I was looking for; I'd grab it in a flash and be happy the set looked so good.

I agree the Muhle sets are beautiful! I have the Rocca razor with a birch bark handle and would love to have the matching birch bark brush. But I'm more of a boar fan. Which by the way, can be explored very economically. Or, better yet, if you like badger, a badger/boar mix. Have fun!
That Muhle Rocca with the birch bark is one heck of a razor. A beauty displayed in your master bath and an excellent shaver. I would say somewhere between the 89 and 41.

That Muhle Rocca with the birch bark is one heck of a razor. A beauty displayed in your master bath and an excellent shaver. I would say somewhere between the 89 and 41.
I like the Muhle line, and the Roccas have a very nice look; so I ordered both the birchbark and black handle, figuring I'd return one after seeing them "In the flesh: side by side".

Well...a few weeks later and, guess what:

IMG_0142.jpeg
IMG_0141.jpeg

I love the weight/weight distribution/feel of both. Feels so good in my hand. The birchbark is beautiful and will never slip (what a great feel) and the black is classic. I've been using different blades in each. Started with the supplied Muhle in the birchbark and an Astra in the black. Liked the latter better, so that's what's in the birchbark, now. I'll be trying out a Feather blade in the black one, soon.

I don't have a heavy beard. I started with an R89 Grande, which gives a nice shave. If the Rocca is halfway between that R89 and R41; I think I've found what works for me. Rocca gives a very nice close shave and only gets better as my technique improves and I learn the different growth patterns on my face and neck.

I like the Muhle line, and the Roccas have a very nice look; so I ordered both the birchbark and black handle, figuring I'd return one after seeing them "In the flesh: side by side".

Well...a few weeks later and, guess what:

View attachment 1425209View attachment 1425210

I love the weight/weight distribution/feel of both. Feels so good in my hand. The birchbark is beautiful and will never slip (what a great feel) and the black is classic. I've been using different blades in each. Started with the supplied Muhle in the birchbark and an Astra in the black. Liked the latter better, so that's what's in the birchbark, now. I'll be trying out a Feather blade in the black one, soon.

I don't have a heavy beard. I started with an R89 Grande, which gives a nice shave. If the Rocca is halfway between that R89 and R41; I think I've found what works for me. Rocca gives a very nice close shave and only gets better as my technique improves and I learn the different growth patterns on my face and neck.
👍🤗

This is funny. I'm a guitarist and it's taken my wife a very long time to be able to understand and accept the concept and reality of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Gibson or Fender ? Taylor or Martin ? And as you are happy with your Simpsons Classic (as I am still very happy with my first ever brush — Simpsons Colonel X2L) …. May I suggest trying one of the wonderful Yaqi, Stirling, or RazoRock synthetics.

Gibson or Fender ? Taylor or Martin ? And as you are happy with your Simpsons Classic (as I am still very happy with my first ever brush — Simpsons Colonel X2L) …. May I suggest trying one of the wonderful Yaqi, Stirling, or RazoRock synthetics.
YeeeeEEEHAAAWWWwwwww!!!
🤜🤛
Still got my ‘69 LP. Regret selling my ‘57 AVRI Strat but I stopped playing it when I got the Silhouette Special and the kid who’s got it is in heaven. All good.
Martin OM-21 is a fingerpicker’s dream.
Lots more.
You…?
And yeah: absolutely loving shaving, now. Funny you’d mention Yaqi. Looking at this one today:
Thoughts? I’d like a long handle brush for bowl lathering.

YeeeeEEEHAAAWWWwwwww!!!
🤜🤛
Still got my ‘69 LP. Regret selling my ‘57 AVRI Strat but I stopped playing it when I got the Silhouette Special and the kid who’s got it is in heaven. All good.
Martin OM-21 is a fingerpicker’s dream.
Lots more.
You…?
And yeah: absolutely loving shaving, now. Funny you’d mention Yaqi. Looking at this one today:
Thoughts? I’d like a long handle brush for bowl lathering.
And yeah: loving my Classic 2!

Don't even think twice ..... just buy it ! It's one of my favorites.

9BF6AAA1-CC7E-4470-AABF-247D7BDB7BB4.jpeg

And I'm much more a guitar fan than I am a player, but my latest favorite is an old First Act. Mighty fine !

BF30F37E-5B59-4A75-88F4-10047B68732F.jpeg

Top Bottom