What's new

Second Brush Question

My first post!

After decades of cartridge razors; I've moved back to the safety razor. Had my first shave today, using a Muhle R89 Grande. I wanted to start out with a mild razor and this one didn't disappoint. Not a nick.

So this is actually going to be my third brush, but my first was something I used and was "fine" with until I got my second, got schooled on creating a great lather, and was able to experience the difference.

I'm using a Simpsons Classic CL2. Best badger. I love this brush. Soft but really nice backbone. I like it as a stiff brush that will work as well in a bowl as lathering on the face.

I'm wondering about another brush that would be different enough from the Simpsons that I'd notice the difference. I like the Muhle line and have actually got a Rocca stashed away; waiting for me to move to the next level of aggression (grrrrr!). Wondering if a Silvertip Badger or Synthetic Silvertip would fit the bill. I've got a pretty strong visual streak to me...and like the look of the Rocca razor/brush/and stand, which is what's making me think of those two brush alternatives:

Screen Shot 2022-02-23 at 10.56.27 AM.png

I'm very happy to be back to shaving with a safety razor. Any suggestions or insights would be appreciated. One of the reasons I've signed up to this forum.

Cheers! 🍻

I really like the Razorock Hive 24, for the money. It's a dense synthetic that comes close to my silvertip for soft/backbone. I think it's called the SynBad knot or something similar.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
There are many brushes that are very different from a Simpson Classic 2 but far fewer that are better in my opinion. For a softer feel maybe consider Simpson Super, for more backbone maybe Simpson Manchurian. I love my Simpson brushes but also like variety and, for me, Semogue two band finest brushes are excellent and the only other brand I use but were I to try another it would be Shavemac. Welcome to the forum 👍

I love my Classic 1 in Best. It’s very possible you have your ideal brush in the Classic 2, just a fair warning that you may go in a loop and come right back where you started from, less some cash in the process.

The two other Simpsons I’ve used that feel radically different to the Classic 1 are The Duke 2 and Commodore X2, both in best. The Duke is the softest (and floppiest) by far. The Commodore is somewhere in between with a less ergo handle. I like smaller brushes myself so the Classic 1 edges them out there. Since your Classic 2 is larger you will find yourself in similar company. I’d go with the Duke 2. It’s very soft and a nice smooth driver, much like an old-school Cadillac that sacrifices control and precision for the cream-puff experience.

☺️

I agree the Muhle sets are beautiful! I have the Rocca razor with a birch bark handle and would love to have the matching birch bark brush. But I'm more of a boar fan. Which by the way, can be explored very economically. Or, better yet, if you like badger, a badger/boar mix. Have fun!

I had both the Muhle silvertip badger and synthetic brush. Although they are very nice brushes and very soft I just couldn't get along with them due to the small knot size. If I am not mistaken they are 21mm.

I had both the Muhle silvertip badger and synthetic brush. Although they are very nice brushes and very soft I just couldn't get along with them due to the small knot size. If I am not mistaken they are 21mm.
That’s one of the reasons I wrote this post.The Classic is 23mm. And I like that.

You have great taste IMO!! I also enjoy my Simpsons classic 2 in best badger.

For what it is worth, my other Simpsons favorites include: duke 2, chubby 1, 57 and Wee Scot (in best badger), plus tulip 2 and tulip 3 (in super).

In addition, I have a selection of Shavemac and Rudy Vey 2-band badger brushes that also merit consideration!

This is funny. I'm a guitarist and it's taken my wife a very long time to be able to understand and accept the concept and reality of G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

She noticed the arrival of the Rocca the other day and said, "Don't you already have a razor?".

She's in for a surprise...

For what it is worth, my other Simpsons favorites include: duke 2, chubby 1, 57 and Wee Scot (in best badger), plus tulip 2 and tulip 3 (in super).

In addition, I have a selection of Shavemac and Rudy Vey 2-band badger brushes that also merit consideration!
Never underestimate a Wee Scot!

I love my Classic 1 in Best. It’s very possible you have your ideal brush in the Classic 2, just a fair warning that you may go in a loop and come right back where you started from, less some cash in the process.
That might very well end up being the case It's a really nice brush!

Thanks!

I'm seeing a lotta love for Shavemac. Both here an on other posts.

I won't be much help, as it took me 25 brushes, or more, before settling on the 7 brushes that I still use. I went from bowl-lathering creams to face-lathering soaps. My brushes went from medium to small to large and back to medium. My favorites today for face-lathering, are a Rudy 2-band Shavemac brush, an extinct Simpson Rover, several Thaters, and a RazoRock 24mm synthetic. I keep some others in a basement box in case I get bored.

I won't be much help, as it took me 25 brushes, or more, before settling on the 7 brushes that I still use. I went from bowl-lathering creams to face-lathering soaps. My brushes went from medium to small to large and back to medium. My favorites today for face-lathering, are a Rudy 2-band Shavemac brush, an extinct Simpson Rover, several Thaters, and a RazoRock 24mm synthetic. I keep some others in a basement box in case I get bored.
When you say "Medium", are you talking a 21mm loft diameter?

After some thought; I'm going to stick with my Classic CL2 for the time being. Happy to have the Rocca razor, but I'm going to hold back on the matching set...and look around for a brush that will offer me something different. Change of pace. Curious about a larger brush. I might revisit the set. It's very attractive. But for now I'm going to play with what I've got and have some fun. Thanks, people.

I would never buy a brush because I liked the stand. That would be like buying a home because I like an attractive tree in the front yard.

Think: priorities
That's very funny. Not just because it IS very funny...but also because I was thinking the exact same thing, earlier today. At which point I dropped that as an option. Mind plays funny tricks sometimes.

Top Bottom