What's new

Second Brush Question

"Eat a Peach"...nice choice!

Just ordered it. Meant to be, as they say. Thanks, man!

Nice ax and really nice meeting you.

Weren’t the Dead great? Jerry was such a given, but the whole band and the full experience. Bob Weir blew me away.

Jerry was a true virtuoso lead player (although not a very good shaver ! LOL) and Bobby is a master rhythm player.
And, yes indeed,... the band, the experience, the culture, the community of Deadheads, the whole thing --- Pretty perfect !

I planted this Mesquite tree when i built the house. It was about as big as a broomhandle and about 5' tall. it has an unusually straight section of trunk & if it ever falls over, I'll have a fortune in board lumber.
20200305_084103.jpg

Mesquite is a beautiful and durable wood. How tall is it?

Nice flintlock!
The Mesquite is upwards of 20', which took decades of shaping & trimming. In the wild a Mesquite is more like a tall bush with branches growing to reach the ground.
My Dad built the rifle back in Ohio in 1970 from native maple that was being cleared along the river to make way for some park facilities. It's .40 cal and incredibly accurate. Not a flintlock, but a caplock. I grew up shooting original flintlocks from an old gent's family legacy collection & much prefer them to caplocks. My favorite flintlock is .54 cal. and accurate enough to plink grapefruit out at 100 yards. Makes quite a splat.

The Mesquite is upwards of 20', which took decades of shaping & trimming. In the wild a Mesquite is more like a tall bush with branches growing to reach the ground.
My Dad built the rifle back in Ohio in 1970 from native maple that was being cleared along the river to make way for some park facilities. It's .40 cal and incredibly accurate. Not a flintlock, but a caplock. I grew up shooting original flintlocks from an old gent's family legacy collection & much prefer them to caplocks. My favorite flintlock is .54 cal. and accurate enough to plink grapefruit out at 100 yards. Makes quite a splat.
It’s funny (almost) how people tend to downgrade the lethal effectiveness of long outdated weaponry.

Understandable, considering the firearms and mobile firepower we have nowadays…but still not a true representation. Your description of the accuracy (and impact) from 100 yards away is a perfect example.

Nice work on the rifle. And the tree. Yeah: definitely not your average, lol. We built a pagoda in the backyard when I lived in Tucson. Guy drove out into the desert with his pickup and loaded it with mesquite. Thatch (don’t remember how we did that but it worked) roof. Nice cool place to hang in any heat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom