Second attempt at turning Acrylic

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent job, you fid your homework on how to finish resins. Both of them have a great shine. What type of blanks are tou using, or do you know the names of them? I’m just curious about what thpe of resin they are.

In purchased several blanks from Woodturningz.com

Inlace Acrylester Spindles - Woodturningz

It is not easy to turn this stuff.

Oh man you’re not kidding. Ballsy move picking IA for your first two acrylic brushes. That stuff is brittle/chippy beyond belief, and it just loves to blow apart. They are some of the nicest looking blanks you can find though, and only acrylic acetate can rival the shine with proper polishing. Did you use scrapers, traditional tools, or carbide tip? I’m not a fan of carbide on wood but a round carbide works great on acrylics for me, mainly because it scrapes instead of cutting. IME light scraping and high speed is the way to go with brittle resins. Pour yourself a drink for getting through these, you deserve it.

Oh man you’re not kidding. Ballsy move picking IA for your first two acrylic brushes. That stuff is brittle/chippy beyond belief, and it just loves to blow apart. They are some of the nicest looking blanks you can find though, and only acrylic acetate can rival the shine with proper polishing. Did you use scrapers, traditional tools, or carbide tip? I’m not a fan of carbide on wood but a round carbide works great on acrylics for me, mainly because it scrapes instead of cutting. IME light scraping and high speed is the way to go with brittle resins. Pour yourself a drink for getting through these, you deserve it.

Thanks! I do feel like having a drink after turning 3 AI spindles in a row! Or at least taking a break from it and trying to clean my shop. It looks like an acrylic-bomb went off in there. I also need to get a full face shield, not just safety glasses when turning AI. When I first start to round the blanks, I'm getting pelted with glass-like shards of AI in the face... not too fun.

So it sounds like Acrylic Acetate is easier to turn? If so, that's what I'll be ordering next time.

I have several different cutting tools, but yes, the scraping tools at high speed seem to work the best!

For sanding, I found that lightly using 150 grit, then 220 grit helps even everything out... from there I go to the numerous micro-mesh polishing pads (all the way to 12,000 grit).

Yes, AA is easier to turn once you get the blank round, but pretty much all resins are. I have some AA blanks that I used part of for bottlestoppers a few years ago, eventually I’ll get around to making brushes with the remaining pieces. The ribbon effect through the blanks looks great once they’re turned.

If this is something you keep doing as a hobby you may want to start casting, both to save money and to make your own colors/styles of blanks. If you get to that point I’ll be happy to pass on what I’ve learned.

Top Bottom