What's new

Second attempt at straight shave *Fail

Definitely slow down and take your time. I'm only about 1 month in myself - it's an entire new skill to learn. I've found that my angle and pressure are much, much better than when I started.

I kind of felt like I was cheating the first few times, but try moving your thumb onto the blade itself (where the hollow grind is).
This made things much easier for me, and as I got more fomfortable the thumb just sort of moved back towards the tang on its own.

The thumb seemed like it got in my way, but it provided a tactile register of where the blade actually was when I couldn't really see it.

It still took many shaves before I could stop using that styptic pencil thing, and I'm still getting used to it.
It gets easier every time. Stick with it.

Well attempt 3 was last night with the same setup, Yeti Snot, B&B Boar brush, and my gold dollar straight. Used more water in the lather to make it slicker and had very little tugging. I found when I felt tugging I caught myself using my wrist and not locking it. In all a very successful shave. A little extra irritation this morning, but definitely going to keep working at it. Thanks to everyone for the tips.

Each time you do it you will pick up one or two things to either do the next time or to nix. It is a journey so don't get discouraged.

Top Bottom