What's new

Second attempt at straight shave *Fail

So I tried a straight shave for a second time, but once again got frustrated and had to finish with my EJ 89. I even tried two different straights to see if one wasn't shave ready, but both seemed to tug and pull. Not giving up on this, I will get it right. Below is a pic of the setup from tonight. The second razor I used was a GD 66 from Buca. I was using my new B&B brush and Yeti Snot (love the menthol). My Preshave was AoS Pre-Shave Oil. Also I have a trimmed full beard along the jaw line, so my shave is only jawline down the neck. $image.jpg
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hang in there. Take pride in the fact that you're not bleeding and you didn't bang the edge on the faucet.

Takes time to get the prep right and to develop a stroke with enough authority to cut through the whiskers cleanly.

Someone once said it takes 100 shaves to get comfortable and a bit proficient.

Keep up the good work - you'll get there.

Your prep s probably good since you use a de.
Keep the blade almost flat to your skin - the spine just a tiny bit raised.
Use short strokes with the grain.

I wouldn't call it a fail. You just need more practice. Keeping the angle right is hard on the neck due to its gradual curvature. Because of your beard you miss out on learning on the easy to shave areas. Keep with it. Just do a with the grain pass and finish up with your other razor until it gets more comfortable. Don't add more pressure in an attempt to shave closer--it just makes irritation more likely.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It takes time brother, and each time you try it will get better

I would maybe suggest that you make a lather a bit less fluffy. With straights the edge rides on your skin without the benefit of a safety bar so a lather with less air incorporated might work better. YMMV of course :)

You might want to look into the density and slickness of your lather.
Too thick can cause the blade to hang/tug/pull.

So as far as the lather you would recommend more water to make it less cushion and slicker?

20 shaves before I achieved DFS with a straight .. first 19 were a lot of learning angle and pressure....but It started to click and now I am at shave 68 tomorrow and I can get BBS almost every time. This forum is a wealth of knowledge and the encouragement you get from the shave journals helps a lot too.

Stay with it ... but try it every time you shave for two weeks ... even if you have to finish with a DE.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So as far as the lather you would recommend more water to make it less cushion and slicker?

Lather is a highly personal thing, but I would use a bit more product, a bit more water, and less whipping up of the lather. I face lather, and don't spend a lot if time building up a lather.

I ignore my sight and trust my feeling more... Once u find the right angle focus on the way the razor feels against the skin instead of how it looks against the skin... Also think more or beard reduction to get to the point where Ur just cleaning up... Don't get caught up in one pass down, one pass across etc..

Splash on a bit more water. Might be a little messy, but that's why there is a counter and sink. You'll get and enjoy it. Might even get tempted to shave that beard!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
The neck can be interesting. I'm assuming that you've mapped your neck growth? Most of us have all kinds of different patterns there and what you are thinking might be WTG (NS) could actually be ATG in a bunch of places.

I would take a straight down pass, head up as high as comfortable to stretch and a slight stretch pulling down. The angle of the blade should be 10 -15 degrees or so. The lowest angle and this will have to cause you to adjust the angle as you move downward on the "slope". It should take the whiskers off with little or no resistance.

I also wouldn't call it a fail. Any of us that use straights all had the same experiences for the most part. For most of us, the lather used for shaving with a DE is not the same as what we'd use for shaving with a straight, and it took most of us a fair number of shaves before we really "got it". It's a challenge and a great personal feeling of reward once you nail it solid.

skin stretching is an important technique i had to improve on before succeeding with straights. Also, the classic short strokes worked well until i had the angle and lack of pressure down. I have a full trimmed beard and only shave jaw line down and the direction of hair was super important to getting a good shave. My hair goes out toward the side and as a result, if i were to go straight down like you see in the movies, it would be an initial cross grain pass which may be difficult especially as your first ever pass. Just food for thought

Max

Remember that a straight razor blade is nearly twice as long as a DE and therefore has more resistance. It's not supposed to feel like a DE blade, so don't be disappointed when it's not. Think beard reduction. 3 passes and touch up rough spots. If your face gets a irritated, skip a shave and let your skin heal. Short strokes, gentle and deliberate is the way to go. Hang in there, it gets better every time.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You can't be an expert this soon. I would suggest making a lather with a bit more water (so it has more glide to it) or try a superlather/uberlather. If you have more glide, you will have less tug. Make sure that you firmly hold the razor, lock your wrists and take your time.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You mentioned having to "finish" wiith a DE. Why not try an alternative approach? You can "start" with a DE- do a first pass with your DE, then do the same area with your straight. You'll find it easier to master the angles when you don't have to concern yourself with removing the bulk of the whiskers, and you can concentrate on the feel of the blade against your skin.

Disclaimer: the preceeding advice has been brought to you by Ouch International, whose chief operating officer is on record as suggesting the use of multiple razors, moving to the Southern hemisphere if you're right handed (to take full advantage of the Coriolis effect when lathering), and is generally regarded as a knucklehead.

Wow, lots of great suggestions and advice to try. I am going to keep at it, but try with a wetter, slicker lather, and will let you know how it goes when I shave in a few days. (Sorry I am lucky enough to have a slow growth along with a job that works with a slight growth).

Top Bottom