What's new

Seal cracks in Bakelite

Hey guys...I found a beautiful bakelite butterscotch on ebay for a steal, I think because it has some BIG cracks in it. None of the cracks go all the way through, and to be honest, they look amazing (will post pics later).

What I want to do is basically seal those so they are still visible, but will not allow water to penetrate further...any ideas? Would clear nail polish sealant work?

Thanks!

I am waiting pictures too. BTW you should cover inside of the full hole of the handle with plastic cylinder then you use something like seal wax or melted plastic. If the handle is orange, black resin looks good.

Here are the pics. It's marked Calinar (sp)...it's pretty worn down...maybe "Calimar"? Best Badger...Made in Englad and then below that "88"

you should be able to work some epoxy into the cracks, that would stabilize them. I dunno if it would affect the coloring where you put it, but looking at the handle, it's no big loss if it "bleaches" out some of the butterscotch.

Thanks...I see that it does say Culmak and yep, $0.99 was the winning bid.

Bob, as far as the resin is concerned, is this something I can basically wipe the whole handled down with (a spackling effect, so to speak) and wipe off the excess?

That looks like a hard fix to me...

You could try the epoxy fix, but I would put a knot in with silicone so you could salvage it easily if it fails badly.

Thanks...I see that it does say Culmak and yep, $0.99 was the winning bid.

Bob, as far as the resin is concerned, is this something I can basically wipe the whole handled down with (a spackling effect, so to speak) and wipe off the excess?

Epoxy is rather messy and it doesn't sand easily, especially by hand.
When I'm using it I just slightly over fill the defect, then when it dries I sand it by spinning the handle on the lathe.

I would use clear epoxy and let the imperfections shine through. Basically, just stabilize it. Why try to hide that beauty?

Regards.

Are the cracks that bad that you HAVE to treat it ???

Can you just clean and leave it and use it "natural" ????

I'm with you on that one Piff, it looks incredible, that's why I bought it.

My only concern with leaving it untreated is that eventually those cracks will make it all the way through and the handle will split into multiple pieces. I think if they get wet, and the dry, and then wet, etc, they will ultimately split.

The real goal is to retain the LOOK of the cracks while really just sealing the exposed walls of the cracks. I don't wish to alter the aesthetic at all.

Oooorrrr...Am I just way off and these cracks are not a huge deal and it will take a few more decades for the split to occur?

Oooorrrr...Am I just way off and these cracks are not a huge deal and it will take a few more decades for the split to occur?

I think this is the case. In my experience bakelite splits and cracks when exposed to direct sunlight and/or extreme temperatures.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I think this is the case. In my experience bakelite splits and cracks when exposed to direct sunlight and/or extreme temperatures.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I think this is what I'm going to do for the time being. Just clean it up and pay special attention to the interior to set the knot.

Best part about this brush...26mm opening :001_wub:

She's gonna be a big one...TGN has a 26mm Finest extra hair that looks like it may be the ticket.

Maybe just strengthen the sides inside the knot hole with a layer of epoxy ( the one you're using to set the knot ) first before setting the knot.

I'd guess that this is the "weak" point and would get the most "stress" on it. The lower part of the handle should be solid and not quite as susceptible.

Take this for what it's worth (which could very well be nothing). I seem to remember reading somewhere that catalin shrinks over time. Why the article didn't explain specifically (maybe because some compound in it dries out?). The reference was that old catalin radio cabinets often warp/shrink over the years and the mounting holes and the backing plates (made out of something else like melemene or whatever that doesn't shrink) sometimes don't line up anymore. Basically I guess that means that if yours has cracks, they may continue to expand, and in the end, there may be nothing that can be done about it.

Regardless of what happens to it over time, I think it's cool now. Have fun with it!

Regards.

Take this for what it's worth (which could very well be nothing). I seem to remember reading somewhere that catalin shrinks over time. Why the article didn't explain specifically (maybe because some compound in it dries out?).

Again not definitive, but that's kinda supported by this old brush I found:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Looked like it had dried out, shrunk and cracked ( though nothing like the cracks in TNutsShave's, probably more like crackled ).

Restored with a 20mm Silvertip A @ 45mm. This and a restored Kent KS7 ( 20mm finest @ 45mm ) are my day to day brushes.

People wrote it off when I first posted but I like the outcome.... just adds character. :lol:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Last edited:
Take this for what it's worth (which could very well be nothing). I seem to remember reading somewhere that catalin shrinks over time. Why the article didn't explain specifically (maybe because some compound in it dries out?). The reference was that old catalin radio cabinets often warp/shrink over the years and the mounting holes and the backing plates (made out of something else like melemene or whatever that doesn't shrink) sometimes don't line up anymore. Basically I guess that means that if yours has cracks, they may continue to expand, and in the end, there may be nothing that can be done about it.

I think this is true. I think it is likely the OP's handle was kept in a storage room that froze every winter for a few years. I've seen similar cracking in other bakelite items that had been exposed to freezing temps. I'm pretty sure all our bakelite/catalin handles will start looking like the OP's in a hundred years or so.

TnutsShave, I say clean it, reknot it, love it.

I think this is true. I think it is likely the OP's handle was kept in a storage room that froze every winter for a few years. I've seen similar cracking in other bakelite items that had been exposed to freezing temps. I'm pretty sure all our bakelite/catalin handles will start looking like the OP's in a hundred years or so.

TnutsShave, I say clean it, reknot it, love it.

Agreed, thanks for all of the input guys! I'll keep you posted.

Top Bottom