What's new

Seagull DE Safety Razor

Hi. I am new to DE razors and am currently contemplating the purchase of the Merkur HD as my first DE razor (since it seems to be loved by all). However, while browsing listings on eBay I came across a new Seagull DE Safety Razor. (See link below...)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=006&item=160005955380&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Has anyone ever heard of this company or tried their products? I am particularly interested in where the razor originates, the quality of the product, and the closeness of the shave. I would ultimately like to purchase a DE that I can pass down to my children (when the time comes), so I do not want to buy a sub-standard product. I did consider purchasing a new Parker DE (from India); however, after reading several reviews of their products, I do not believe them to be as well made as the Merkur line.

I did consider bidding on several vintage items on eBay; however, with the Merkur Classic costing $26.50 I have difficulty justifying paying close to that for a vintage DE. I am not a collector (yet), and am simply looking for a good shave at a good price. Additionally, as postage to Canada is always outrageous, I am hoping my purchase will last a long, long time.

Thanks,
Ken

Examine your main reasons for buying a DE razor. Mine is that I have a very sensitive skin and get constant razor burn and irritation.

I saw everyone gushing about Merkur DE Heavy Duty and this was the first razor that I bought but I found it to be very "aggressive" in a sense that it was ripping my neck area real good - not as bad as Gillette Excel but still too much.
I sold it on Ebay and got myself a few Gillette Adjustable Razors like Fat Boy - much better for a new wet shaver than Merkur. Start with setting 1 and work up the ladder. I am at 2 and for the first time I can see what my neck actually looks like. If you are patient you can get a Fat Boy on Ebay for $10 if you don't mind cleaning it yourself.

Thanks for your input. I actually managed to contact the seller of the item and was informed that these razors are manufactured somewhere in Turkey. Who knew?!?!!!! :blink:

GoTeeGuy said:
Thanks for your input. I actually managed to contact the seller of the item and was informed that these razors are manufactured somewhere in Turkey. Who knew?!?!!!! :blink:

Hey; they also make Derby razor blades.

That's a new one for me!!!
I have bought Seagull branded goods in the past (large format cameras) and they were from a Chinese corporation.

Regards
Brian

Top Bottom