What's new

SE vs DE

I picked up a nice Gem Featherweight at a local Antique shop for $6! I bought some Treet Supers at a local drug store (I am now researching vendors for others), cleaned the razor, and have have two shaves with it. I love it! This morning's shave was BBS with two passes (three around the Adam's Apple under the jaw) and some buffing. No nicks - a first for me - weepers, or irritation, just a smooth shave.

I've been bleeding to death with a Merkur Futur for a year before I took the plunge with a SE. I will be part of my permanent rotation now. As for ease of use, it couldn't be easier. Start with the top of the cover plate against your face and shave like normal. If it is not cutting, then steepen the angle a bit by pulling the back of the razor away from the face. I was able to zip around pretty good.

The initial investment for a good, vintage SE is a lot less than a Fat Boy or Slim, but blade are going to be a little bit more. But if you have been struggling with DE's, this will be a snap. I like the Gem Featherweight, it reminds me of a shimmed Tech in terms of aggressiveness, so it will cut hair, but won't peel your face off like a Futur even on its lowest setting. The Ever-Ready 1912 or Gem Junior or Gem G-Bar are also good choices. Stay away from the Gem Micromatic - it is a very aggressive razor.

Good luck, and happy razor hunting - lots to choose from on Ebay.

I started with an SE from eBay and loved it but eventually bought the L6 DE and found it really easy to use. I could shave with it like it was a cart razor without worrying about technique, just hack away and the job was done. I tried to switch back to SE and found I had lost the finesse the SE requires...which is a shame, the SE (IMO) was a better shave.

Although I enjoy my DE razors and shave with them frequently, they are a different "shave" compared to an SE. My first shave with a 1912 Gem was probably the most comfortable and enjoyable shave I had ever experienced. The SE is efficient and audibly lets you know when you're cutting the hair from your face and when the technique is good you can't go wrong. Even the Ever Ready 1914 and the Clog Proof Gem were just as good!

Well crap. I've been shaving with my straights for almost a year now, but tonight I picked up my 1912 Gem I got at a flea market for $2... ten minutes later I'm BBS! No effort, intuitive, and perfect. Not too shabby! I like the stiffness of the blade, esp as compared to a DE blade.

-Matt-

I have a Gem 1912 travel razor I need to clean up and use now. Walgreen's has proper blades for these do they? I guess I'll have to go get some.

I picked up a nice Gem Featherweight at a local Antique shop for $6! I bought some Treet Supers at a local drug store (I am now researching vendors for others), cleaned the razor, and have have two shaves with it. I love it! This morning's shave was BBS with two passes (three around the Adam's Apple under the jaw) and some buffing. No nicks - a first for me - weepers, or irritation, just a smooth shave.

I've been bleeding to death with a Merkur Futur for a year before I took the plunge with a SE. I will be part of my permanent rotation now. As for ease of use, it couldn't be easier. Start with the top of the cover plate against your face and shave like normal. If it is not cutting, then steepen the angle a bit by pulling the back of the razor away from the face. I was able to zip around pretty good.

The initial investment for a good, vintage SE is a lot less than a Fat Boy or Slim, but blade are going to be a little bit more. But if you have been struggling with DE's, this will be a snap. I like the Gem Featherweight, it reminds me of a shimmed Tech in terms of aggressiveness, so it will cut hair, but won't peel your face off like a Futur even on its lowest setting. The Ever-Ready 1912 or Gem Junior or Gem G-Bar are also good choices. Stay away from the Gem Micromatic - it is a very aggressive razor.

Good luck, and happy razor hunting - lots to choose from on Ebay.

I agree with everything you said except the advise to stay away from the Micromatic. It is an outstanding razor that is extremely efficient and capable of giving great results.

On the contrary, I find I get less irritation and nicks with my Open-Comb Micromatic than with my Featherweight or 1924. As usual, YMMV.

Good point.

Although I enjoy my DE razors and shave with them frequently, they are a different "shave" compared to an SE. My first shave with a 1912 Gem was probably the most comfortable and enjoyable shave I had ever experienced. The SE is efficient and audibly lets you know when you're cutting the hair from your face and when the technique is good you can't go wrong. Even the Ever Ready 1914 and the Clog Proof Gem were just as good!
The Clog pruf is my favorite of the Micromatic family but you spelled it wrong. Actually, you spelled "proof" right, which is wrong. To spell it right you have to spell it wrong. It's pruf.

I find the SE's a bit more ergonomic.
Me too.

I have a Gem 1912 travel razor I need to clean up and use now. Walgreen's has proper blades for these do they? I guess I'll have to go get some.

Yes you do. Yes they do. And yes you should. :001_smile

Time for a contrary voice. I've tried Micromatic, Featherweight, G-bar, 1912, and an old Stoll Brothers SE, and I just don't like them.

I get a much better shave with any of my DEs.

OP, you want an SE to try? I've got plenty to choose from. Send me a PM and I'll get you set up.

Well, obviously you're doing something wrong. J/K of course. Hey, they're not for everybody, no system is. All any one can do is give em a try and if they don't work move on to whatever does work.

Time for a contrary voice. I've tried Micromatic, Featherweight, G-bar, 1912, and an old Stoll Brothers SE, and I just don't like them.

I get a much better shave with any of my DEs.

OP, you want an SE to try? I've got plenty to choose from. Send me a PM and I'll get you set up.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Well, obviously you're doing something wrong. J/K of course. Hey, they're not for everybody, no system is. All any one can do is give em a try and if they don't work move on to whatever does work.

Excellent advise Tom. It was your posts several years ago that got me started with SE's. I now own most of the popular SE razors made and am very happy with all of them.

My daughter found a "Clog-Pruf Micro Matic" at an antique mall in IL for $1.12. Walgreen's GEM blades and I must say that after 2 attempts, I like it. I still don't get quite as good or fast a shave as I do with my 3 DEs but that is simply use it a couple more times. So I opened the GEM on the Friday before Christmas and used it on Saturday. Then Christmas struck again on Tuesday the 27th when I received a Shick Injector PIF. I have used it once and plan to use it tomorrow morning. So far, SEs seem to be at least as good as DEs, just different. I think I will greatly enjoy using all of these razors, my 2 old Gillettes, my Parker, my GEM CPMM and my Shick. Must get some more blades for the GEM and the Shick to go with the 53 Feathers and 58 Wilkinson Swords I have. (I know that a lot of people don't like the WSs but I have found that I truly do like them as well as anything I have tried except for the Feathers and $1.76 for 10 is fantastic. 3 or 4 shaves per blade is less than $0.06 per shave and that's hard to beat.)

And a Happy New Year, all 366 days of it.

Top Bottom