What's new

SE vs DE

Okay, I've been shaving for a long ... long time, but have never tried a SE razor. Do they offer any advantage over a DE?

Sorry if this duplicates other threads - I searched but failed to find.....

I tried it just a couple of weeks ago, granted I did not give it a fair chance by any means but I found SE to be not for me. Def a learning curve to it and it is pretty scary when you flick out a razor sharp blade and have to start shaving. (not much of a difference from taking that high end razor from your kitchen and trying to figure out how to shave with it). I assume after time all this fades away as you pick up the razor and know what angle and can shave quickly with it. Me, I ended up sticking with the DE's and actually picking up a PILS in the SE's place. Maybe another time down the road I will give it a try again but for now.. I am perfectly happy with the DE's...

On the other hand I find SE's more intuiative and give a closer shave especially wtg. Since I started wet shaving with a ST8 the angle of a SE is very similar. Possibly its the thickness of the blade vs a de blade, you should try one. The 1912 or the ocmm are good starting points.

I tried it just a couple of weeks ago, granted I did not give it a fair chance by any means but I found SE to be not for me. Def a learning curve to it and it is pretty scary when you flick out a razor sharp blade and have to start shaving.

I believe you're referring to a straight razor, the original poster was referring to single edge (SE) razors, such as the Micromatic, which is my personal favorite SE.

Okay, I've been shaving for a long ... long time, but have never tried a SE razor. Do they offer any advantage over a DE?

Sorry if this duplicates other threads - I searched but failed to find.....

They are typically more aggressive and the blades are much more stiff and rigid compared to a DE blade. The open comb Micromatic is my personal favorite and with the exception of the 2011 Muhle R41, is the only razor that I can comfortably shave against the grain with and achieve consistent BBS.

Last edited:
DE=thick single edge blades..only a few company's make em..very similar to s atr8 shave with having the razor
SE=blades tend to "flex" which can lead to nicks n cuts etc...many company's make em

I picked up a Micromatic OC about a month ago after 2+ years of DE (with a straight mixed in now and then) and love it. I hold the handle about 2/3 of the way down and pull it down my face letting the razor's weight do the work. I was never able to 'feel' the razor doing the work on a de (generally applying some pressure with the de), and it is giving me great shaves. So it may be a lack of technique on the d.e., and 'getting it' with the Gem (regarding technique) but it is working for me. With that, I am still sticking to one pass, albeit a good one as it still scares me. The other thing it has done is help me avoid buying the R41 (so far).

One of the biggest disadvantages I've found when using a s/e is that with a Gem Clog Pruf or OCMM, I do not need to shave for around 36 hours ! It really messes up my daily shave plans.

DE=thick single edge blades..only a few company's make em..very similar to s atr8 shave with having the razor
SE=blades tend to "flex" which can lead to nicks n cuts etc...many company's make em

Switch these around:DE = Double Edge SE = Single Edge SE's are thicker and do not flex.

Re the OP: You can get just as good a shave with either DE or SE. It probably just boils down to personal taste. The thicker SE blade just feels different against the skin and as the hair comes off. I find the SE to be a bit more defoliating as well as a little smoother on the ATG pass. If you have a coarse beard, you might like to give it a whirl, albeit SE shaving doesn't always work out for some folks. For me, an OCMM with a new top shelf blade is a real treat. Effortless and smooth.

I use both DE and SE razors and, to be honest, I don't see a big difference between them. They are both safety razors, after all. The angles may differ a little, but once you get comfortable with one, it's easy to learn the other.

Re the OP: You can get just as good a shave with either DE or SE. It probably just boils down to personal taste. The thicker SE blade just feels different against the skin and as the hair comes off. I find the SE to be a bit more defoliating as well as a little smoother on the ATG pass. If you have a coarse beard, you might like to give it a whirl, albeit SE shaving doesn't always work out for some folks. For me, an OCMM with a new top shelf blade is a real treat. Effortless and smooth.
This^^^^^^^^^^

I've decided that I'd like to give a single edge a try. I know nothing about them - so which se model/brand should I try - especially if I'm only going to buy one?
My favorite de is an open comb (long) vintage Gillette New.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
My favorite SE is the GEM 1912.

But the GEM Micromatic, GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf, and the GEM G-bar also are marvelous shavers. They are very close to the GEM 1912, and are in a 3 way tie for second place. You won't go wrong with any of the GEM SE razors!

I never thought I would like SE razors, and initially I was scared to death of them. But how wrong I was!

For me, in general, SE's give a closer shave. There are very few DE razors that equal the shave quality of the SE in my opinion.

DD

A gem 1912 or the ever-ready 1914 or 1924 are great starting points because they are considered the best by many. You'll eventually try most of the others (micromatics and chrome G-bar and featherweights.....but you'll always come back to the early models, they never improved on the shave they give.
I've decided that I'd like to give a single edge a try. I know nothing about them - so which se model/brand should I try - especially if I'm only going to buy one?
My favorite de is an open comb (long) vintage Gillette New.

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom