What's new

SE razor in a lime green art deco case

My local antique shop has a vintage SE razor in an attractive light green plastic art deco case.

Anyone have any idea what it is? I love the case!

She wants $45 but is negotiable.

the green one in the reply is it! On the last reply, I do not think it was bakelite but whoah I like that bakelite one! Man, this is going to be a fun hobby with all this vintage deco bakelite stuff. I had no clue.

I figured the price was illogical as it is just sitting in a jewelry case in an antique shop.

You have to go to Singapore for that one. Yes, lots of razors and many more case variations. And yes, it is fun.

P

Pjotr

If the razor is in mint condition and you can get it for $20-25 odd you'd be getting a fair deal. Problem is that antique dealers see bakelite and art deco and price accordingly. There's hardly anything out there (on e-bay at least) that's going for less than that. Four months ago things appear to have been a lot different. Heck, two months ago things were a lot different!

If the razor is in mint condition and you can get it for $20-25 odd you'd be getting a fair deal. Problem is that antique dealers see bakelite and art deco and price accordingly. There's hardly anything out there (on e-bay at least) that's going for less than that. Four months ago things appear to have been a lot different. Heck, two months ago things were a lot different!

My amateur observation is that the razor looks its age but probably would clean up fine. I was more attracted to the case. It also has blades in packages in it that have the yellowed-out cardboard.

I was more taken aback on the case design and noticed this could be a nice thing to collect. I am just getting into DE wet shaving in the past couple of weeks and am starting with a new Merkur HD with Merkur blades for now.

P

Pjotr

the green one in the reply is it! On the last reply, I do not think it was bakelite but whoah I like that bakelite one! Man, this is going to be a fun hobby with all this vintage deco bakelite stuff. I had no clue.

I figured the price was illogical as it is just sitting in a jewelry case in an antique shop.

If the razor is identical, it's an Open Comb Micromatic. A TTO. Considered to be pretty aggressive. So, beware. Lots of people love'm, including drews50.

If the razor is identical, it's an Open Comb Micromatic. A TTO. Considered to be pretty aggressive. So, beware. Lots of people love'm, including drews50.

The razor looks the same to my newbie eyes. I am new to DE wet shaving with a new Merkur HD, but I am very interested in the vintage items to look at and maybe own - but not to use yet. I am bleeding just fine with the Merkur so far. :blushing:

P

Pjotr

My amateur observation is that the razor looks its age but probably would clean up fine. I was more attracted to the case. It also has blades in packages in it that have the yellowed-out cardboard.

I was more taken aback on the case design and noticed this could be a nice thing to collect. I am just getting into DE wet shaving in the past couple of weeks and am starting with a new Merkur HD with Merkur blades for now.

There were a few SEs produced with those cases. The Micromatics and the GEM Jewel and Ever Ready Streamline. Just got the latter myself recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150567039776&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here's one (complete with stropping set up) I halfheartedly bid on because I thought it would go way out of my range but it didn't (but I still lost it):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250779153307&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few SEs produced with those cases. The Micromatics and the GEM Jewel and Ever Ready Streamline. Just got the latter myself recently:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150567039776&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Here's one (complete with stropping set up) I halfheartedly bid on because I thought it would go way out of my range but it didn't (but I still lost it):

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250779153307&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

In this case, I do recall 'GEM' on the case - but this is all still new to me. Out of curiosity and since the proprietor is a friendly old lady, we chatted about this item. She said she usually has a razor or two through her shop at any time. Additionally, I saw a couple of old brushes with most of the hair missing. But antique shops look to be a fun hunt once I start to understand vintages. I saw this just because I live around many antique shops and have never had a reason to check them out.

I gave $10 for this one with a minty looking razor in it last month, if you need a price reference.

proxy.php
proxy.php

P

Pjotr

Did you use violent threats? That's a ridiculously good price for that.

No violent threats, just a good deal on ebay. I see them on the bay occasionally for $20 or less with good looking razors in them and if you're patient like I was you can get them cheaper. I had a local dealer that had one for $35 as well, but after talking with a few of the people who collect them on B&B that was entirely too much for this particular type so I passed. I was told between $10-15 is reasonable.

Top Bottom