What's new

SE or DE?

I go both ways. I just came off a week of great SE shaves, loaded up my 58 Super Speed with a new Feather tonight. Another great shave. During my SE week I thought I might go all SE. But after tonight... I look at it this way. The SE is like a monster American muscle car and the DE is like a sleek Italian super car. They both do it differetly, but they both kick ***. I guess I'll just rotate between the two. It's like having a garage with a vintage Camaro and a new Ferrari. You just can't go wrong with either one.

I go both ways. I just came off a week of great SE shaves, loaded up my 58 Super Speed with a new Feather tonight. Another great shave. During my SE week I thought I might go all SE. But after tonight... I look at it this way. The SE is like a monster American muscle car and the DE is like a sleek Italian super car. They both do it differetly, but they both kick ***. I guess I'll just rotate between the two. It's like having a garage with a vintage Camaro and a new Ferrari. You just can't go wrong with either one.

To answer your questions, "SE or DE", I shall follow the route taken by the great early councils of the Church, who when confronted with either/or questions, said YES, And/Both.

I love using both and rotating between the two!

Both for me. Today I had my first successful SE shave with a Clog Pruf. The third one was the charm. I say BOTH all the way. :thumbup:

Its about my 3rd(awesome) shave with a Clog Pruf I picked up earlier this week...

I've since picked up a Star 1912 and MMOC.... which one to try next? hmmm
I'm sticking with SE, for awhile anyway!
John

For me this is the order:

DE- got lot's of blades, gotta use them
SE- GEM's
SE- Injectors not so many blades
Twin Blades- cart when travelling

P

Pjotr

At the moment it's all SE. In the future I'll try DE again. SE is just so easy and simple and has for me produced the best shaves. It was the first safety razor and I personally don't think Gillette presented a superior method. I'm sure people were bamboozled by the commercially available really thin DE blades and just assumed it therefore produced a better shave.

On my SE blade box it says "For Industrial Use Only". I like that a lot!

Here's the rotation:

Ever Ready Featherweight
GEM Junior Bakelite Fatty
MMCP
Ever Ready Streamline

Last edited by a moderator:
not se or de, but more a diff rotation

MMOC
MMCP
Gem HFT (g-bar)
1901 Gem Jr Bar LC

repeat

whats a DE :blink:

Last edited:
not se or de, but more a diff rotation

MMOC
MMCP
Gem HFT (g-bar)
1901 Gem Jr Bar LC

repeat

whats a DE :blink:

Rotation --- ? Daily or Blade Life? or something else?

Had my first MMCP-shave last night, after two weeks with my 1912 Damaskeene.

I boxed up my 2000+ DE blades and put them in the back of my closet - I can't believe I went on a BAD-trip just before shaving with the Gem. :lol:

There are a few of my DE razors I haven't even used, yet, a Goodwill, a Neillite, a Bigelow Parkin, a couple of others. I do mean to get to them eventually, and when all my DEs have been tried, I'll return to a couple of favorites now and again. I think my last DE shave was about a month and a half ago.

For everyday use, it's injectors first, followed by SEs. This morning it was an Auto-Strop, which fits into the SE category.

Heck, cartridges aren't totally out of the mix. When's the next blue moon?

P

Pjotr

Ha, me too. What's your blade of choice?

The GEM SS PTFE coated one I got in the group buy. Actually I tell a lie. I've just finished a six pack of Walgreens I got with an SE I bought here at B&B. I also think they're the same blades. Actually to my total amazement I found some GEM blades at my local Chemist (Pharmacy) they were in the razor blade section and have 009 RD written on them. Have no idea if they're razor blades or scraper blades. I'll carefully give'm a try and see what happens.

The SE is like a monster American muscle car and the DE is like a sleek Italian super car. They both do it differetly, but they both kick ***. I guess I'll just rotate between the two. It's like having a garage with a vintage Camaro and a new Ferrari. You just can't go wrong with either one.

I actually like SE's so comparing them to Muscle cars (which I am not a fan of whatsoever) I don't think is fair :laugh:

It's more like a Hotrod and a sports car, I love them both and have them both for different reasons. SE is a no frills will get the job done workhorse, and I think I like the shave of the SE better. But I love the style, grace and era of the DE more for some reason.

MY DE's are on display, my SE's will tend to sit towards the back. Maybe the fatgirl/moped analogy is a better one :w00t:

Top Bottom