What's new

SE....not for me, but I'll keep on keepin' on....for now.

So I have a Gem Featherweight and an Ever Ready of some type and I figure it's time to give them a spin.
My first shave two days ago with the featherweight was a disaster.
Cuts and massive irritation all around.
I left my face for a day and gave the Ever Ready a try.

Much worse! nothing good to say about that.
So I'm between sixes and sevens I guess.
I'm going to give it another go soon, after my face heals.

But if it doesn't work out, i'm not going to continue.

sadness :sad::sad::sad:

If the same things worked great for everybody, I don't think this site would be as popular as it is.

Have you watched Mr. Guy's video on using a Micromatic? Not exactly the same razor, but the technique is similar and it is a good video.

Just a thought, which blades were you using? An awful lot of SE blades out there are designed for use in scrapers etc and not for shaving.

Sounds like either rotten blades or defective razors. Send them to me and I'll give them a thorough going over to establish the cause of your discomfort. It may take me up to a year to get back with you.:lol:

Seriously, try different type of blades or maybe se's just aren't for you.

Or he could be pressing down too much with the Featherweight. If you try it again, try what I do. Hold the bottom of the razor between your thumb and middle/ring fingers. Rest your index finger directly behind the head and shave normally. That (at least for me), is the perfect amount of weight to add to that little razor. Hope it works out for you.

Just a thought, which blades were you using? An awful lot of SE blades out there are designed for use in scrapers etc and not for shaving.

The blades are the ones from the group buy. If they aren't the right ones, a lot of people are going to be mad!

I had the same lackluster experience with SEs. as maxman.
The only attempt I've made to try SEs again was to get a schick dial adjustable injector. I'm glad I did. I'm also thinking about giving those feather SE blades a whirl in a valet autostrop, but I haven't summoned the courage for that yet.
-- Chet

Wow. This is really a case of YMMV.

I used a GEM 1912 on Saturday with an unknown blade. A pretty decent shave. So much so, that I bought a pack of GEM blades at Walgreens on Saturday afternoon.

This morning I used the 1912 with the GEM blade. It was really a great shave.

Sounds like I got lucky.

WOW! Yeah, YMMV! I guess!

The first wet shave I had in over 40 years was with the GEM Featherweight and it was great. With Treet blades from Rite Aid a week or so later even better. The shaver was extremely easy to use even when I knew nothing. I'm guessing it's technique or blade and I just hit it right.

As with DE, blades can make a difference. My first blade for that inaugural shave was a GEM, and it was OK. But the Treet was just that. Just the noise of the cutting, no discomfort at all, and a DFS with 2 WTG passes, which is all I look for.

No pressure in the extreme, lay the head against your cheek and change the angle to take it off of the cheek slightly, and as you stroke it over the skin it'll talk to you if it's right. It's a different angle than with a DE, slightly steeper. That's the best I can describe it. You'll hear every whisker as they get cut.

It's not my everyday shaver, but it's nice when I want something different.

Good luck. IMO it's absolutely worth trying again.

Top Bottom