What's new

SE Idaho!

I'm going to make my annual road trip to SE Idaho to our cabin on the Henry's Fork of the Snake River. I am always looking for something new and different to do every year that I go, and I've been going there for over 30 years now.
I'm looking for suggestions for something that may be off the beaten path that you found to be an amazing experience. Whether it's something to see, something to do, or even a great place to eat, I'd love to hear about it.
We go to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks every year as well, so if there's a lesser known spot you recommend checking out in either park, please share it. We'll probably go to an Idaho Falls Chukars baseball game, float the river, catch the Targhee Bluegrass Festival, visit the Grand Teton Brewery, and do some fishing. Oh yeah, we'll relax too!

Thank you! - Tice

Sorry, not familiar with the area and my family just moved to Boise in Feb so they haven't gotten to explore much yet, but...

If you have a GPS, Blackberry, Iphone, etc(as they say, theres an app for that!) I would suggest trying Geocaching. Its something the wife and I have been doing off and on for about 10 years. Its a great way to find areas that locals find interesting enough to put a cache, usually something like a good hike, great view, interesting attraction, etc. It a lot of fun and can be as easy or hard as you want it to be. Just go to the geocaching site learn a little about it. Then click play and hide or seek a cache and put in the coordinates(if you have them), address, or zip code of your cabin and see what in the area! If you find you want to practice put in your home address, I bet you'll find a dozen or more within 5 miles!! Its a lot of fun for kids or adults and something I always use when we go camping or on vacation to a new or old area.

If you have already done this before please excuse the long post but I always enjoy sharing this with new people!!

Enjoy!!!

Jay

Henry's Folk is one of the world's fabled trout strout streams. Hire a guide and float for some of those great trout.

Henry's Folk is one of the world's fabled trout strout streams. Hire a guide and float for some of those great trout.

You are correct Dave! I used to work for Three Rivers Ranch when I was 15. When I fish, all I have to do is walk about 50 yards from our cabin (if that), and cast out a line. I typically use night crawlers, but one of these years I'll try to work on my fly fishing skills.

Dinner at the Knotty Pine is a must. I hear the Spud drive in is going to be open this year. I am in Driggs for 3 months every winter for skiing.

Dinner at the Knotty Pine is a must. I hear the Spud drive in is going to be open this year. I am in Driggs for 3 months every winter for skiing.

Where do you live for the other 9 months Dr. Roadrash? I'm already back in the triple digits temps in the thriving metropolis of Indio, CA (kidding). The trip was amazing, but I've never heard of the Knotty Pine...where is that? I'll try to make it there next year. I went to the Spud Drive-In last year to see Widespread Panic on the 4th of July...talk about an amazing setting and a great show, simply spectacular!

This year the new things we did was summit Mt. Washburn (10,243 ft.) and hike down to the Yellowstone River, of course both in YNP. We also hiked the Box Canyon trail in Island Park. Grand Teton Brewing in Victor, Idaho is a must stop too!

I also found a nice apothecary style mug with lid, hand made mug/bowl, and a nice boar shaving brush (may have been new, 'Boots' Made in England) at thrift stores out there, all for less than $3. Always great to find inexpensive shave gear!

Thanks for the tips!

-Steve

BTW, we ate at O'Rourke's Sports Bar and Grill in Driggs...greasy fast casual/bar food, but delicious!

Knotty Pine supper club is on main st on the north end of victor. I think its by far the best food in the valley. O"Rouke's is definately greasy. I'm in Milwaukee for most of the year.

Aaron

Top Bottom