What's new

Scuttle, is it a must once you tried it?

Really YMMV!

I tried a variety of bowl and scuttle options before deciding that I am happy as a face-latherer!

(Occasionally, I am tempted to go to a scuttle on a cold AM, but a minute or two with a warm towel and all is good with the world! :clap: :clap: )

Really YMMV!

I tried a variety of bowl and scuttle options before deciding that I am happy as a face-latherer!

(Occasionally, I am tempted to go to a scuttle on a cold AM, but a minute or two with a warm towel and all is good with the world! :clap: :clap: )
Im surprised to hear how many of you long time wet shavers are face-latherers. I'm wondering if it's the end of the road and I'll be there in few years...

I am basically a face latherer and I like hot lather on the winter, and found the bowl scuttles cumbersome and ugly for my taste, reminded me of ramen bowls with a handle. So i go for a victorian style scuttle and I think I got what I searching for...
I got the Geo F Trumper Blue Oxford one, made in England and loved that blue color with gold accents and at a discounted price on Amazon
images.jpg
And it´s really designed for face latherers, not cumbersome, small as a mug.

You can use soaps that fit on the small bowl, use slices of shaving sticks or just load from soaps and creams and keep your loaded brush in there and the water vapor keeps the brush warm.

Cheers

I have settled on a PAA scuttle. I’ve tried multiple different systems. I do like to face leather. A good lather from a scuttle is an excellent start. I’ve tried one bowl inside of another with hot water between. I’ve tried filling the sink with warm water and floating a bowel with some success, but my current sink does not fill due to design. I settled on the PAA scuttle and it seems to be a good working system. I keep a small kettle next to the sink when I’m going to shave. I heat the water in the kettle while in the shower or in preparation for shaving. I do the same basic prep work of washing and using a washcloth. Before I do this I fill the scuttle with hot water and sometimes put a little soap in the bottom of it. The soap starts to melt. This works really well with lanolin soaps, But almost any shaving soap will do. A few turns will whisk up a thick lather. If the brush is warm enough with water, It will take up more soap and the ladder is richer. If the soap gets too hot it does not lather well until it cools down on the face. The result is a smoother and richer shave for me but YMMV. I experience a more pleasurable shave and at this time I can’t see myself doing it any other way.

It works really well with a synthetic brush and I use many different kinds of soap.

I have settled on a PAA scuttle. I’ve tried multiple different systems. I do like to face leather. A good lather from a scuttle is an excellent start. I’ve tried one bowl inside of another with hot water between. I’ve tried filling the sink with warm water and floating a bowel with some success, but my current sink does not fill due to design. I settled on the PAA scuttle and it seems to be a good working system. I keep a small kettle next to the sink when I’m going to shave. I heat the water in the kettle while in the shower or in preparation for shaving. I do the same basic prep work of washing and using a washcloth. Before I do this I fill the scuttle with hot water and sometimes put a little soap in the bottom of it. The soap starts to melt. This works really well with lanolin soaps, But almost any shaving soap will do. A few turns will whisk up a thick lather. If the brush is warm enough with water, It will take up more soap and the ladder is richer. If the soap gets too hot it does not lather well until it cools down on the face. The result is a smoother and richer shave for me but YMMV. I experience a more pleasurable shave and at this time I can’t see myself doing it any other way.

It works really well with a synthetic brush and I use many different kinds of soap.
Thanks, the scuttle I bought is very similar so seems promising. Thanks for the soap trick, was planning on using it only with creams but didnt think about scratching soap in it!

I have gravitated toward face lathering for the usual shave. My hardware for a face lather shave is a silver-plate bowl floating in a sink of hot water. The silver is highly conductive like copper.

I set aside a bit more time on Sunday for a more luxurious shave... call it shaving scuttle Sunday. I have an old no-name scuttle that works great. Similar design as the Trumper shown above.

I have a Georgetown Pottery scuttle, and love it. I use it all year round, and almost never use anything else (except when I travel, I use a small shaving bowl).

Thanks also saw these bowls while shopping and was wondering if they perform well or just nice looking. Plus they are cheap considering the possible durability. Now I need that.
I got mine from a deal here on B&B. It had been returned due to the clear coat flaking off, and it was bundled with a few other items I think I paid $30 and got the bowl, 3 high quality soaps and a bag of samples. This was from captains choice here on the forum.

I figured at that cost of entry it was worth the shot. I honestly love the bowl. The light weight one get used daily now and has been taken over by my wife. She builds a lather to shave her legs before stepping into the shower.

I wanted something that might hold the heat even an bit longer and I almost always like the heaviest duty item I can find, so I bought a second one in the heavyweight version. Both the bowls get used quite often. If you are on the fence, just pull the trigger on the regular version. It cost more than some ceramic lather bowls until you have to replace a ceramic bowl then the copper just became a lot cheaper.

I use a Woodhead Pottery scuttle all year round and it is wonderful to have that warm lather for all the passes. However, I still work in the lather on the face for the first pass so it is a hybrd system I use.

I've tried them. It was quite nice having warm lather. I stopped using it because it became a piece of equipment I had to get out, prep with ward water, then clean up at the end of the shave. It was more work that I wanted to do.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
About ten years ago, it seemed like everybody was using--or at least talking about--scuttles around here, including me. Not so anymore, at least from what I'm reading on the forums.

I ended up buying a nice Robert Becker scuttle back then, which I used for about a year. Then, into the cupboard it went. Now I only dust it off in the dead of winter when the thought of cold lather sets my teeth achatter. And, yes, I do get a bit nervous having a big, breakable, ceramic scuttle sitting on a rather small vanity.

Were I to buy another scuttle, I would definitely opt for plastic. Not as aesthetically pleasing, perhaps, but lots more practical.

Different strokes for different folks.

I loved the idea of the scuttle, found it to work well, georgetown G5 or G8? Iirc, but found that i enjoyed face lathering way more than bowl lathering and the heat transfer wasnt there. I think the PAA smaller scuttle is probably more apt to work in my case, but in the end i havent tried it.

I was also afraid of knocking it off the counter, but warm lather is really nice.
I've been using the "unbreakable" PAA travel scuttle, if that's the one you mean. On occasion I've mixed some TOBS Peppermint cream with regular Barbasol foam, whipping them up together in the scuttle, then applying the result to my face. But normally I soak my brush of the day in hot water in the scuttle, then face lather.

i see PAA has 3 scuttles, the one i mention about being smaller is the moonscape brush scuttle, not the "regular" moonscape or intergalactic indestructible ones.

I used a scuttle for a few years. Now that I face lather 95% of the time it rests peacefully under the sink!

1594331081213.png

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Love my Georgetown G12 in the colder months. The lather for the third pass is warmer than the first. It also gives me a convenient place to soak a boar brush.

Quite a few years ago when I first got into wet shavig in the initial flush of enthusiasm I got a scuttle and used it for a while. However as time went on I used t less and less and now after I got back into razor enthusiasm again, I do not use it at all. I suppose if I were u try it to see if it works better for you but dont be surprised if you find you dont really want to use it after a while.

Top Bottom