What's new

Scotch

There are several reasons for getting a "burn" while drinking booze. I like to summarize them like this:

a) You're drinking it too fast;

b) You're pairing it with something weird / not pairing it with something it needs; (food or other things)

c) You're drinking it from the wrong glass (no, seriously.); or

d) You've purchased a bottle of something awful.

I have to disagree. There are some that just naturally "burn" usually due to the high alcohol content. One I can think of right off the top of my head is Bruichladdich Port Charlotte. I think IIRC that alcohol percentage is around 60%......thats gonna feel like its burning no matter how you drink it ...AND its a phenomenal whisky

Thank you all so much for the great information. Definately looking forward to trying some different Scotchs when I get home from deployment.

Steve

Don't know where you live but I am in Northern NJ. When you return from your deployment, if you are close by it would be my honor to provide you with an evening of scotch sampling. I collect scotch and will ensure that your sampling is quite varied.

Thank you everyone for the great information. I truly do appreciate all of your help and knowledge.

Steve

This might be a bit strange, but if you want to really enjoy "Scotch", I'd start with good rum. Get yourself a bottle of Mount Gay Rum. Even the cheaper bottles have a deliciousness that anyone should be able to enjoy. Get used to that, over a couple of bottles- it has none of the slightly sleazy, complex aftertaste of malt whiskey and is pure sunshine in a glass- and then graduate to an Old Pulteney or Monkey Shoulder(MS is so much sweeter it almost isn't malt whiskey, but OP is like honey with attitude). After that try The Balvennie Doublewood- rich, complex but still a bit sweet. Then a Highland Park 18- big powerful, not too complex- like Jim Beam Black done properly. Then a Glenlivet 21 year old- beautifully balanced with just a hint of oiliness and the suggestion of peat on the aftertaste, or Cao Lila 12- lighter, flowery, unctious, a bit peaty. Then go onto the more peatier ones- Glenfiddich 12 isn't too much but you should be able to tell the difference, followed by Lagavulin, then Laphroig, and finally The Glenfarclas 105, just for kicks. Afte this you should know what you like. Every single malt suggested, with the noteable exception of Monkey Shoulder, is an undoubted classic, which you will eventually end up tasting if you are in any way suited to malt whiskey. This way you go gradually from one end of the taste spectrum to the other, with a couple of big hitters popped in to keep things interesting.

Last edited:
Aberlour also has a terrific bang for the buck in the sherried category. Slip that in amongst the Balvenie, or next to the HP18 to tell the differnce between a power drink with fruit, spice, and heat... versus the more mellow, yet delightfully expressive Aberlours.

Then if you've got serious scratch burning a hole in your pocket, try the Tobermory 15. A show-stopper of deliciousness. If you find yourself like the peat/smoke, but don't dig Laga, Laphroig, etc... get the Glenmorangie Finnealta. The BEST of both worlds. It lets you know you're drinking some serious scotch, but won't leave you with that somebody-did-a-burnout-on-my-tongue-after-an-electrical-fire-was-smothered-in-hair taste.

Let us know how it's going!
Cheers,
B

Top Bottom