What's new

Scotch is overrated

Hi hear you about the Scotch Whisky 🤣.

For me it is disgusting and I don't know how people can drink Scotch Whisky to be honest. It is way overrated and the only reason for that is because they had the whole market to themselves this past 100 odd years after the collapse of the Irish Whiskey industry. Unfortunately Scotland never produced great quality whisky, and it is the Irish who in fact are the real masters at this as they invented the spirit around 5th century, roughly about 800 years before the Scottish stole the recipe and could never make good quality 🤣. It is also for this reason that the Irish controlled 80% of the global market up until the early 1900's before the total collapse of the Irish Whiskey Industry. If you want a really good quality whiskey, try the Irish as it is more pure and they not only distill (triple distilled) it more times than scotch, but they also have far more variety and amazing quality that they don't get the respect they deserve. After all we owe it to the Irish for inventing this famous spirit that we enjoy throughout the world today.

Only for the collapse of the Irish whiskey industry, it is very highly likely there wouldn't be hardly any Scotch whisky on the shelves today and if you were making that hot toddy, it would in fact be with an Irish whiskey namely Bushmills (Oldest distillery in the world), Jameson, Tullamore Dew etc. It is unfortunate that most whiskey drinkers don't hardly know anything about Irish whiskey, which is a shame to be honest. However, with the Irish whiskey industry roaring back after decades of decline, you will soon see plenty more of the world's finest Irish Whiskey on the shelves than Scotch Whisky 😉.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

For me it is disgusting and I don't know how people can drink Scotch Whisky to be honest. It is way overrated and the only reason for that is because they had the whole market to themselves this past 100 odd years after the collapse of the Irish Whiskey industry. Unfortunately Scotland never produced great quality whisky, and it is the Irish who in fact are the real masters at this as they invented the spirit around 5th century, roughly about 800 years before the Scottish stole the recipe and could never make good quality 🤣. It is also for this reason that the Irish controlled 80% of the global market up until the early 1900's before the total collapse of the Irish Whiskey Industry. If you want a really good quality whiskey, try the Irish as it is more pure and they not only distill (triple distilled) it more times than scotch, but they also have far more variety and amazing quality that they don't get the respect they deserve. After all we owe it to the Irish for inventing this famous spirit that we enjoy throughout the world today.

Only for the collapse of the Irish whiskey industry, it is very highly likely there wouldn't be hardly any Scotch whisky on the shelves today and if you were making that hot toddy, it would in fact be with an Irish whiskey namely Bushmills (Oldest distillery in the world), Jameson, Tullamore Dew etc. It is unfortunate that most whiskey drinkers don't hardly know anything about Irish whiskey, which is a shame to be honest. However, with the Irish whiskey industry roaring back after decades of decline, you will soon see plenty more of the world's finest Irish Whiskey on the shelves than Scotch Whisky 😉.
Thank you for the education my friend! The Irish DID save civilization in my proud opinion!

Attachments

• IMG_1374.gif
    IMG_1374.gif
    450.4 KB · Views: 3

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Some Scotch may well be overrated, but several are simply wonderful. Most are merely mighty delightful. IMO Scotch goes well with water or ice but not really anything else. Each has its unique character, capturing so many aspects of the locale and the craft. If you do not like it, that is ok. I do not like liver and onions.

Some Scotch may well be overrated, but several are simply wonderful. Most are merely mighty delightful. IMO Scotch goes well with water or ice but not really anything else. Each has its unique character, capturing so many aspects of the locale and the craft. If you do not like it, that is ok. I do not like liver and onions.
I do like a Rusty Nail on occasion.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have to agree with the OP here. I mixed some Macallan with Diet Rite Cola and I didn't think it was all that great. Definitely overrated!
I cannot imagine any liquor being mixed with any cola, let alone a diet cola, being drinkable. I even find the Cuba Libre pretty nasty. I would vastly prefer the Coke and rum in separate glasses. The closest I'd get to such a drink would be a decent brandy in good ginger ale, making a Horse's Neck. I would never order one, but I have drunk a few, and they are at least tolerable. The USN's preference for martinis and old fashioneds beats the heck out of the Royal Navy's penchant for the Horse's Neck.

As Jesse Winchester wrote: "Life is too short for some folks, for other folks it just drags on, Some folks like the taste of smokey whisky, others feel that tea's too strong"

I like the taste of smokey whisky! I am not sure how to process whether it is overrated or not.

S

Scrubby

Ok. You got me. I’ll take your bait. Looking at the comments, i realise i am glad that I do not know what the “hot toddy” is that you used to desecrate a good scotch whisky. Please stick to your transatlantic tipple and leave the good stuff for us Europeans. 😉

Ok. You got me. I’ll take your bait. Looking at the comments, i realise i am glad that I do not know what the “hot toddy” is that you used to desecrate a good scotch whisky. Please stick to your transatlantic tipple and leave the good stuff for us Europeans. 😉

And us Australians!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have to agree with the OP here. I mixed some Macallan with Diet Rite Cola and I didn't think it was all that great. Definitely overrated!

Dude your problem is your choice of cola. You need that real cane sugar Mexican Coca-Cola for the Macallan to really shine.

A good root beer really compliments a lowland scotch, and proper ginger beer does wonders for Islay.

Top Bottom