What's new

Scotch is overrated

As a rule, a single malt should never be mixed with anything - including ice (but if it's cask strength, you can add a small amount of water).

A single malt represents generations of expertise; an attempt at perfection in a glass. Macallan for example is matured in old sherry casks which add to the flavour.

Get a cheap blend for cooking ;)
This guy knows what he is talking about.

I try to stay out of this subforum but had to comment. So many differences you cannot group them all into "scotch". The smells, the tastes, the combination and effect of the 2 on each other, so much to try and experience before ruling out scotch. But a good experience with scotch is not had by mixing with anything. Save the rare circumstance where a dab of room temp water is acceptable.

Pardon me, I must go find a meeting lol

Most Scotch is really expensive here, especially Islay brands. I'll take a good Speyside or sherry bomb but these days I tend to prefer spicy rye or oaky bourbon.

People think of "scotch" as more expensive and high quality than bourbon. But there are both cheap scotches and also very nice expensive bourbons. More of a indicator of process than quality level. I am sure you all know that, but for some reason it seemed appropriate to add... carry on

RE: "OVERRATED"

People like what they like . . . I spent three years doing whisky (and others) reviews for the fun of it as I explored different types of hooch, and what I liked from various forms of alcohol. I never used to be able to tolerate Scotch, especially the peated variety. Then, a dram of Jura changed me into a peataholic for a time. Now, the smoky stuff is for very specific times of year, and the Scotch I prefer is more of the sherried variety (though I will drink Talisker ANY TIME).

I found Bourbon to be "over-rated" for a time, until I discovered Eagle Rare and Rare Breed. Now it is all I will serve, though I keep a bottle of 101 around for those who don't know any better.

My love is for Canadian Whisky, which I feel gets short shrift from most. Or, if they do claim to like it, they are generally referring to one of the special bottlings of Crown Royal. Which are fine whiskies, but do not, imo, come close to what Canadian Distillers can produce in terms of high quality stuff.

And I haven't even mentioned Irish of Japanese Malts yet.

People need to relax . . . whisky is to much fun to be fussed about opinions. Even this one.

I’ve never seen Macallan in anything other than standard 750 ml or larger. I don’t think they are targeting the 1/4 bottle market. Maybe it was a fake?

Maybe I was bit to hard on it. I like my whiskey in a hot toddy. I pick up a Fifth of Johnny walker red and it wasn’t that bad..

I've never understood the enjoyment of whiskey either. I tried to get into it a while back but it didn't take. Give me a cognac or better yet a tawny port any day 🙂

It's just a question of taste . . . literally. I enjoy trying to suss out the various flavours present in a dram. I will say that the first time I noted "banana" while reviewing a 100% Rye it through me for a loop. It is that unexpected discovery that makes a quiet glass so much fun. I am sure that cognac and Ports are the same.

Good scotch doesn't mix with anything. I used to also enjoy a good bourbon but lately Irish whiskey has overtaken it as my second favorite.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Scotch in a hot toddy! Why didn't I think of that? Just the thing when it's too cool for Krug spritzers and you don't want to get blitzed on Remy Louis XIII jello shots!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The rich b@$t@rd who told you that "Dom and coke is a great way to have a killer party!" ... well ... um ... I think you misunderstood.

"I need two cans of the Pamplemousse LaCroix. I need that filled with Johnnie Walker Blue and CBD oil."

And Coke.

And champagne.

Interesting post. I'm a rum guy, though I'd love to get into this. Bought a few expensive bottles, and learned a bit by the posts here. I agree with the general posts saying that high end alcohol should usually never go in mixers. Ruins them, and is not a good indicator of their quality. This may have some relief with vodka and clear alcohols, but not with brown alcohol that are know for their unique flavors.

Top Bottom