What's new

Scotch is overrated

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I don't think scotch is overrated but it's definitely not for me. I never acquired a taste for it despite trying very hard :a54:

Now, bourbon? Oh yes!

+2 - Few folks enjoy every type of spirits (those few who do may have another problem). I've tried Scotch on various occasions in various iterations over the years, and still haven't found any to be particularly enjoyable. Several years ago I tried six or eight from around the Scotch Flavor Profile chart and still .. meh.

At this time if there's a choice give me Rye ..

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Overrated or overpriced? For example, Notre Dame football is always overrated. That is an empirical fact, made verifiable by performance (or the lack thereof). Scotch, on the other hand, might be overpriced, but even that is subjective. However, the fact that it continues to sell consistently suggests that it isn't overpriced or overrated for at least a number of people sufficient to support an entire industry dedicated to its distillation, marketing, and sales.

So no, it is apparently neither overrated nor overpriced. You just don't like it.

I pick up a nice bottle of scotch and tried it in a hot toddy. Nothing.Thank god it was a small bottle.

As a rule, a single malt should never be mixed with anything - including ice (but if it's cask strength, you can add a small amount of water).

A single malt represents generations of expertise; an attempt at perfection in a glass. Macallan for example is matured in old sherry casks which add to the flavour.

Get a cheap blend for cooking ;)

PS: Bourbon is just like real whisky if you added a sack of sugar prior to bottling.

In Scotland, we give this to infants or young children*.

*But only if they've been very, very bad. If they want to drink proper whisky they must learn to behave themselves.

There apparently is such a thing as a Scotch hot toddy. It is typically made with Scotch Whisky, honey, lemon juice and cloves diluted with a small amount of hot water. However, it is unlikely that a Scotsman would use a single malt Scotch for such a cocktail, unless he worked in the distillery. An inexpensive blended Scotch would suffice since the flavors of the single malt will be overpowered by the honey, lemon and clove. The single malt would be saved for sipping or perhaps quaffing. Sla'inte!

Using an aged single malt for a Scotch hot toddy would be like using Don Julio Anejo tequila to make a margarita. That is why they make Jose Cuervo Especial.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
There apparently is such a thing as a Scotch hot toddy. It is typically made with Scotch Whisky, honey, lemon juice and cloves diluted with a small amount of hot water. However, it is unlikely that a Scotsman would use a single malt Scotch for such a cocktail, unless he worked in the distillery. An inexpensive blended Scotch would suffice since the flavors of the single malt will be overpowered by the honey, lemon and clove. The single malt would be saved for sipping or perhaps quaffing. Sla'inte!

Using an aged single malt for a Scotch hot toddy would be like using Don Julio Anejo tequila to make a margarita. That is why they make Jose Cuervo Especial.
Your hot toddy is none other than whisky punch.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

This is definitely good stuff for helping with teething babies!

It werks MUCH better if the parents are the ones drinking it though!

Your hot toddy is none other than whisky punch.

I thought that whisky punch and whiskey punch are usually served cold and often contain ginger ale or sparkling water. How, there is certainly an overlap in several ingredients.

Cloves would be more likely to be used in a hot drink rather than cold.

As a rule, a single malt should never be mixed with anything - including ice (but if it's cask strength, you can add a small amount of water).

A single malt represents generations of expertise; an attempt at perfection in a glass. Macallan for example is matured in old sherry casks which add to the flavour.

Get a cheap blend for cooking ;)
I agree. I wouldnt even add water.
To me that goes for all scotches, even blends. If you dilute a single malt, you are basically flushing your money down the toilet. Better off getting Dewars or any other speed rack scotch.
I dont drink anymore. As I get older and wiser I value my brain cells and liver more!
😂
But if you are young, drink up and enjoy scotch responsibly.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Hey, if you don't like Scotch whisky, then you don't like Scotch whisky. As others have said, more for me!

However, I'll also chime in and say you hardly gave it a proper chance. Evaluating Macallan in a toddy is sort of like evaluating a Ferrari by going off-roading. You will not be impressed.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hey, if you don't like Scotch whisky, then you don't like Scotch whisky. As others have said, more for me!

However, I'll also chime in and say you hardly gave it a proper chance. Evaluating Macallan in a toddy is sort of like evaluating a Ferrari by going off-roading. You will not be impressed.
I wouldn't know scotch from vodka in a mixed drink......but this analogy strikes me as pretty much perfect.

There are many things that are overrated. Dunkin' Donuts coffee, Justin Timberlake, Game of Thrones...etc. Scotch is not one of them.

I quit drinking 6 months ago, not due to problem drinking. Beer, wine, gin I have never said, "I can't wait to have one." A good single malt, I miss.

Top Bottom