What's new

Scotch for the UK market vs US

I got a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for Father's Day, and it says for the UK market on it. Besides being 700ml instead of 750ml, is there a difference from the scotch we buy in the US?

I'm not sure about specific differences between bottlings aimed at the domestic market and those aimed for the USA, but over the years I have noticed that many spirits are bottled at a higher ABV when headed for Duty Free sales as well as often being filled in 1L bottles.

I'm not sure about specific differences between bottlings aimed at the domestic market and those aimed for the USA, but over the years I have noticed that many spirits are bottled at a higher ABV when headed for Duty Free sales as well as often being filled in 1L bottles.

I have a bottle of Lagavulin 16 in my cabinet. The ABV is 43%.

Ted, what is the ABV on your UK bottle?

Legion

Staff member

The ABV should be the same, but the 1L is to make it easier for everybody when you are only allowed to bring in 1 or two litres per person.

Im pretty sure the UK Vs US market thing is just a matter of volume standardisation. Metric Vs Imperial. If the labels are put on in the country of manufacture, then they will also have different health warnings, etc.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The ABV should be the same, but the 1L is to make it easier for everybody when you are only allowed to bring in 1 or two litres per person.

Im pretty sure the UK Vs US market thing is just a matter of volume standardisation. Metric Vs Imperial. If the labels are put on in the country of manufacture, then they will also have different health warnings, etc.

North American markets tend to use the 750 ml (aka 26-oz) bottle, compared to the 700ml bottle common in the UK. I have heard comments from internet commentators (Ralfy, if memory serves, said this somewhere in a video ... there's 580+ of them, so if one of you wouldn't mind going through them all to find the exact quote, that'd be great) that different jurisdictions tax "higher %" more significantly than the "regular" 40% ... and I think some North American jurisdictions were in that boat, so a lot of bottlers will do a 40% version for N.A. unless they want their product to be much more expensive if bottled at 46% or whatever.

I talked with the guy at Martin Wine Cellar and he said no different other than bottle size.

Delicious either way!

North American markets tend to use the 750 ml (aka 26-oz) bottle, compared to the 700ml bottle common in the UK. I have heard comments from internet commentators (Ralfy, if memory serves, said this somewhere in a video ... there's 580+ of them, so if one of you wouldn't mind going through them all to find the exact quote, that'd be great) that different jurisdictions tax "higher %" more significantly than the "regular" 40% ... and I think some North American jurisdictions were in that boat, so a lot of bottlers will do a 40% version for N.A. unless they want their product to be much more expensive if bottled at 46% or whatever.

Here is the tax rate for California:

Beverage Rate Per Gallon

Distilled Spirits (100 proof or less)$ 3.30
Distilled Spirits (over 100 proof)$ 6.60

Top Bottom