What's new

Schick Type E or G? How to tell the difference

I have seen a lot of confusion when distinguishing between the Schick Type E and Type G injectors. This is not just among newbies, but members that have been here a while too. In fact, I confused the two myself a time or two. So, I thought I would post this to help serve as a side by side comparison for everyone.

The Type E was made between 1933 and 1945. The Type G was made from 1946 to 1955.

The Type G actually has a few different colours for the handles. Navy blue and green are less common. The most common is the ivory or off-white colour. This is the one that is most often confused with the Type E. There is a great deal of colour variation in these. Often times, there is a darker amber colour to them. This is not quite the same deep butterscotch as the Type E has, however. The Type G also has the tell-tale seam, or mold line on the handle. This is not present on the Type E.

Below are several Type G injectors so you can see the different colour variations. Also, notice the seems on the handles. This is not always easy to see in pictures.

proxy.php

The Type E have a Bakelite handle. This is a amber or butterscotch colour. One key distinguishing feature is there is no seam or mold line on these handles.

Below are some Type E and G injectors side by side.

proxy.php

The type G has almost the exact same head and spring as the Type E. One the early Type Es, the spring had a stop at the right side, but not the left. This allowed the spring to pivot to the left. This opened up the safety bar to allow cleaning. Later, a stop was located on both sides of the spring. The Type G was a tad different. These have a tab that sits in a slot in the spring. This prevents the spring from pivoting.

Here, you can see the different spring stops.

proxy.php

Another difference in the springs are tabs that cover the centre of the spring on early Type E models. These tabs were dropped later on so not all Type Es have these. Type G models never had these tabs.

proxy.php

One more way to tell is to use Scrubbing Bubbles. Spray some on a cloth and rub the handle. On the Type G with a plastic handle, nothing unusual will happen. However, on the Type E with a Bakelite handle, a orange discolouration will form on the cloth. I do not know if this is bad for the razor or not, so use precaution when attempting this.

proxy.php

Here you can see some different cases. This is not all of them, but this is what I own.

proxy.php

proxy.php

For more information about Schick razors, check out our Wiki. Another great resource is this page.

Please, feel free to add to this collected information or point out anything that may need corrected.

Other differences (just from my casual observations):

- The G types should all be branded Eversharp Shick whereas the E types are Shick Injector

- The G types appear to have a lower profile rivet head for the spring.

I don't know if these are universally true. Can anyone confirm?

- Chris

Other differences (just from my casual observations):

- The G types should all be branded Eversharp Shick whereas the E types are Shick Injector

- The G types appear to have a lower profile rivet head for the spring.

I don't know if these are universally true. Can anyone confirm?

- Chris

Well I'm not sure about the rivet, but the difference in branding between the two sounds right. The E's were all manufactured by the Magazine Repeating Razor Company. Eversharp ended up buying them up in 1946, the same year the G was introduced, which accounts for the difference between the two.

Well I'm not sure about the rivet, but the difference in branding between the two sounds right. The E's were all manufactured by the Magazine Repeating Razor Company. Eversharp ended up buying them up in 1946, the same year the G was introduced, which accounts for the difference between the two.

Ah, excellent point. :thumbup1:

Yeah, I'm usually too bashful to answer a question . . . :blushing: NOT!!

but asking one is a horse of a different flavor!!

Top Bottom