What's new

Schick Injector Problem

I tried loading a blade in my Schick Injector for the first time today and had some trouble. The blade doesn't sit evenly. I think the blade stop is worn on one side. I got it in there good enough to attempt a shave with it. It wasn't a very good shave, several weepers and some irritation. Is this a common problem with the blade stops? Can someone post a close up picture of a properly loaded blade? I believe mine is a Type E if that helps.

Almost forgot, I cut my thumb pretty good trying to get the blade in correctly, first time I've done that since I moved away from the cartridge razors. Thankfully I was pushing straight when it happened so it just went straight in and didn't slice across anything.

Last edited:
How were you trying to load it? Did you use the Injector key that usually come with the blades? How Did your thumb get anywhere near the blades?

I used the key, I was trying to figure out why the blade was mis-aligned when I cut myself. I'll try to get a pic up this afternoon.

Haven't had time to get a pic uploaded, I'll try tonight. I really think the blade stop is worn and causing most of the problem. The blade just seemed to be sticking down too far even after I got it to sit on the stop though.

Perhaps you have ruined the blade in much the same way I did when I loaded it the first time, that is not taking care to make sure that the blade is as far away as possible from the blade stabilisers. Somebody said that a good way of avoiding this is feeding part of the blade out of the injector device before inserting the key. Also it helps to make sure that the blunt or non sharpened edge of the blade is pushed back as far as possible in the injector device before starting. You can do this by putting a pencil or pen in one of the two holes on the broad part of the blade and easing it back as far as it will go. Good Luck!

If the blade stops (one or both) are worn down, then toss it or if it's a particularly pretty handle and case, then it's a collectible. You can get a good idea if the blade stops are in good condition, it is more like a hook then a stub:

$IMG_3712.jpg

(sorry for using a less then stellar E type, this one is for the garbage bin)

-jim

The one blade stop is definitely worn down. The pics are below. My question is whether the blade is sitting right on the left side in the pics, that's the side with the good blade stop. I expected it to close a little better on the blade and was just surprised to see so much of the blade sticking out from the cap piece that goes over it. I want to make sure that's in there right in case I can figure out how to get the blade to stay above the stop on the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I right that this is a Type E? I am also wondering whether the blade tray can be opened for cleaning. Below is a pic of the razor and one of the underside of the head. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

That looks terminal. It does look like an E since there doesn't seem to be a seam on the handle. It should say patent number 1806087 and other patents pending on the underside. And that's not one that will open for cleaning. Here's a picture of one of my E types that will open, notice there's no tab on the left side of the spring which allows it to pivot to the left for opening. Yours has tabs on each side of the spring.

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's what I was afraid of. I just got it a month ago after my Dad found it at my Grandma's house. It was my Grandpa's and he's been dead since 1971.

In case I ever pick another one up, does the blade really sit that far down, like mine is on the left? Or should the head close down on it more than that. Hopefully that makes sense, it does in my mine anyway.

Super nice illustration of a properly loaded injector! Darn good pictures Tom. I wonder if you could take one with the injector in place and a blade half way inserted? I like the colors and resolution of the last image especially.

-jim

Super nice illustration of a properly loaded injector! Darn good pictures Tom. I wonder if you could take one with the injector in place and a blade half way inserted? I like the colors and resolution of the last image especially.

-jim

Thanks Jim, but it was pure luck that they turned out halfway decent. Here's some I posted awhile back for someone that was asking about how to load an injector, if this is what you had in mind.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, the last one distinctly shows that the injector holds the blade away from the stops. Pulling out the injector allows the spring loaded head to clamp the blade to the base plate and push the blade forward into the stops. For such a simple looking razor, it's actually a pretty clever design I think.

Thanks Tom!

-jim

The one blade stop is definitely worn down. The pics are below. My question is whether the blade is sitting right on the left side in the pics, that's the side with the good blade stop. I expected it to close a little better on the blade and was just surprised to see so much of the blade sticking out from the cap piece that goes over it. I want to make sure that's in there right in case I can figure out how to get the blade to stay above the stop on the other side.

That is terminal. Someone in the past really mistreated that Schick.

thats a very rare Injector Slant..only 1 known to exist :w00t:

Top Bottom