What's new

Scentsitivity

I do not to think of myself as "chemically sensitive," and mostly I am not, but I had to concede, years ago, that tung oil got to me in a way that did not seem like a good thing.

Perhaps similarly, I seem to be strongly affected by scent. This manifests in a fascination with food and wine, which makes for wonderful experiences, but on the negative side, some scents really get to me. Acetone and kerosene are two smells I'd just as soon never experience again.

The elephant in the room is of course Arko, which actually gave me a headache, and I kept smelling it until I washed my face three times, double-bagged the offending puck and put it in the outside garbage. But a recent retry of Nauvia hit me very unpleasantly in similar ways (fortunately, I had already decided it was not slick enough for my straight razor shaves, and tossed it). And I could not deal with Cremo, which seemed to function, after a fashion but smelled cheap and shoddy, to my nose. Most of those fatty, soft artisan soaps smell to me like someone needs to go back to scent-blending college.

Meanwhile, the aroma of SV Desert Vetiver has me tossing around words like "genius," and the sort of admiring rapture usually only produced by great food, or aged Burgundy, or really good Scotch. MWF scent has me reaching for praise of its wise restraint. Mike's or Castle & Forbes Lime are worth a happy smile.

Anyone else live in this strange world of larger-than-life scents? What soaps particularly grab your senses, in a good or bad way?

Arko transports me back to elementary school bathroom urinal and bay rum reminds me of the soap they had.

I tend to like most of my soaps lighter in scent but I do enjoy the soapy freshness of Ach. Brito Musgo.

I don’t use a brush based soap or cream anymore, what I use is simple mint gel lube. However, the scents in most shaving products are horrible with a few exceptions and probably the nicest of all is Santa Maria Novella’s Tobacco Toscano shaving soft soap. Gorgeous, classic, highest quality, expert fragrance blending. You can also buy the cologne and aftershave. The best of the best. You only need this one. It costs $75 but its worth it.

Fortunately I'm not sensitive to specific scents the way you are, but I do have my favorites and those that I can't stand.

Favorites:
SV 70th Anniversary
Henri et Victoria Cognac and Cuban Cigars
Zingari The Soloist
A&E Tabac de Vanille
Castle Forbes Lime
Abbate Y La Mantia Verbena Toscano
Fine L'Orange Noir
B&M Nordost

NOT favorites:
Officiana Artigiana Maremoto
Nuavia Rossa
Fine Sandalwood
A&E Cannabliss Santal

Just off the top of my head

I don’t use a brush based soap or cream anymore, what I use is simple mint gel lube. However, the scents in most shaving products are horrible with a few exceptions and probably the nicest of all is Santa Maria Novella’s Tobacco Toscano shaving soft soap. Gorgeous, classic, highest quality, expert fragrance blending. You can also buy the cologne and aftershave. The best of the best. You only need this one. It costs $75 but its worth it.
I got some, and I love it. The scent is dialed way back, so it just peeks out at you with different nuances that make it hard to pin down. Too many soaps' scents are like a tuba blast to the face (waves at MdC Vetiver). It's a great scent, subtle and complex and artful. The lather is really nice, too, easy to create and wonderfully slick. I'm an instant fan of this stuff.

I don't usually like menthol soaps (waves at Acqua di Parma), just too overwhelmingly frosty, but the menthol burn in this one was small and subtle, so I actually enjoyed it.

Thanks for a great recommendation.

How are dense of smell & taste is very individual.

Many factors come into mix, what we eat, sting, and medication we take are a factor.

Also if you like me suffer from
Allergies certain time of the year.

I know if I need to go to Michaels Hobby Supply, it’s in, and out supper fast. The smells drive my sinus nuts.

Some people love & tolerate the smells in Michaels not me.

No recommendations for soap. I am different then person who asked.

Best advice is by small sampler of Soap, you get more to try for your buck.

Anyone else live in this strange world of larger-than-life scents? What soaps particularly grab your senses, in a good or bad way?
Yes. I also tend to have a very strong memory of scents--can easily conjure it up in my mind-- which came in handy for impressing party guests by blindfold nosing wines and whiskeys. And coffee, for that matter.

I've had many soap scents that I liked initially that I no longer like, some not even a little. Lately I've been really enjoying unscented soaps combined with a simple, natural citrus aftershave. Also getting tired of oakmoss, even when done well and subtly. It's weird.

But, I also like Lilac Vegetal so my sense of smell may be precise, but it's still gauche.

I’m picky about scents. I straight shave too. I keep:

Hasslinger Aloe Vera (the rest are an offputting variety of powdery floral)

Mike’s coconut, orange/cedar/pepper, rosemary/peppermint, lime was ok. They all carry about the strength of scent.

MWF until I run out of the tallies I have probably.

Speick tallow sticks, and some ground up in a bowl.

I Coloniali Mango oil soap until it’s gone. Strong, complex, sorta funky scent, but it’s a good winter soap. It’s an aberration for me. Been out of production for years now.

Sterling unscented mutton is a future buy (I’ve got a sample, MWF replacement probably). Their scents are all strong and mostly offputting to me, but performance is great.

Those are the ones I keep. I’m not a big fan of strong scents and a lot of great performers are offputting to me (looking at you, Tabac, Valobra). Arko? I don’t know how good it can be because I don’t want to smell like a public urinal. I got a DG as a gift and it was complex and strong but usable.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
When I first got MdC Original, I was on the fence about the scent. Then I began to enjoy the profile and began to seek more earthy green fragrances. Then one day, MdC smelled somewhat of vomit to me once lathered on my face, very off putting to say the least. I backed off. Then it was fine, and pleasant once again. Today despite knowing better, I couldn’t get the thought of vomit out of my head (nose). I like the soap, and find the smell off the puck pleasant, but there’s something about it that changes when it’s right under my nose, and not always in a good way. Perhaps a sensitivity to an ingredient or combination that just doesn’t always sit right.

I'm starting to identify some reactions to a few soaps and I suspect it's from fragrances added. I've ordered Stirling unscented with beeswax, the only one free of almond oil.

We'll see, I'm looking forward to trying that one.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I'm starting to identify some reactions to a few soaps and I suspect it's from fragrances added. I've ordered Stirling unscented with beeswax, the only one free of almond oil.

Yeah, almonds are for eating.

Their oil on my incredibly handsome face just beats me up.

Pre de Provence no. 63 is what I imagine my home in heaven is gonna smell like.

Of course, my hand soap will be powdered, in a dispenser above my heavenly bathroom sink, and will be Arko scented doggone!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I am far enough in this camp that I opt for scentless soap when available. Of course everything smells like something - maybe no scent added for the purpose of introducing a scent profile rather than soap smell, but that seems a little cumbersome.

MdC Nature and Canadian Soap are my go to "scentless" soaps. I have enjoyed some scented soaps quite a bit, but the fear of another "stinker" rearing its head is ever present.

Of course, my hand soap will be powdered, in a dispenser above my heavenly bathroom sink, and will be Arko scented doggone!
Used to love Arko. Out of the blue I started with a tingling post shave feel when using it. Such a shame.

I've began using it as a shower soap. About 8 sticks left in my den. Lemony lemon out of the shower...:c1:

I love it. I've occasionally had issues with some of their fragrances, but the biggest thing is that I discovered that lanolin makes me itchy. I actually think the lather is slightly better than their standard beef tallow base, too. Not quite as good as the sheep base but close. I do love some of their scents so I've just got those in the EDT and I'm a happy camper.

What does the WD say to that? :whistling:

The scent on that one is strong enough to raise the dead, thus evicting you from Heaven! :devil2:

FarmerTan

What does the WD say to that? :whistling:

The scent on that one is strong enough to raise the dead, thus evicting you from Heaven! :devil2:
She loves Arko. True story: she was a church janitor for years!

Yet another reason I let her marry me: she ain't afraid of urinal kleaning!

FarmerTan

Depending on your aim, of course. :001_tt2:
Lol, agreed. When we redo the second bathroom she actually wants a urinal installed. The lady ain't right in the head, I swear.

I get her goat all the time by singing that song "I'm Going to Hire a Wino".... I've got a brane full of useless Kountry and Western songs rolling around in it.

Maybe she'll put a pinball machine and a jukebox in there too?

I love it. I've occasionally had issues with some of their fragrances, but the biggest thing is that I discovered that lanolin makes me itchy. I actually think the lather is slightly better than their standard beef tallow base, too. Not quite as good as the sheep base but close. I do love some of their scents so I've just got those in the EDT and I'm a happy camper.
I haven't identified any reaction to lanolin specifically but I'm beginning to take the path to eliminate all possible allergens. Too much variables already on a shave so that will be out of the way. And the skin likes it too.

Enjoying Grooming Dept's Pura "Unscented" even though I detect a very faint honeysuckle scent. Their Mumtaz was so powerful and lingering that I've put it in an exterior room to off-gas. The soap-base performance is phenomenal, but it's just like a Yankee Candle punch in the face that then hung around to make sure I was knocked out lol :)

Love all of MdC's scents, but Original and Rose are my favorites. The scent is organic, mild and doesn't linger after the shave is done.

I also love Ariana & Evan's St. Bart's. It smells of nice sun tan lotion and triggers thoughts of summer and my many visits to the Caribbean.

Top Bottom