What's new

Scent Ignoramus

Yes, that's me. Particularly, I do not know vetiver or patchouli. Yes, I have gone on line and read all the descriptions of these two scents and where they come from, but I can't say it helps me identify them in an aftershave. So . . . can you gentlemen and ladies give me some examples of aftershaves that particularly are characterized by one of these scents.

Also, and this may come out in answers to the above, what's in Pinaud's Clubman, or Ice Blue Aqua Velva (beyond the menthol, of course), for examples.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

Cheers!
Tony

Yes, that's me. Particularly, I do not know vetiver or patchouli. Yes, I have gone on line and read all the descriptions of these two scents and where they come from, but I can't say it helps me identify them in an aftershave. So . . . can you gentlemen and ladies give me some examples of aftershaves that particularly are characterized by one of these scents.

Also, and this may come out in answers to the above, what's in Pinaud's Clubman, or Ice Blue Aqua Velva (beyond the menthol, of course), for examples.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

Cheers!
Tony
Pinaud Clubman - classic Fougere scent
Aqua Velva - classic Chypre scent
Can't say as I'm a huge fan of either one.

More reading material if you want to deep dive.

as for vetiver and patchouli, vetiver has a grassy, earthy smell. Patchouli has a heavy, dirty, floral scent. If you've ever stopped in a smoke shop that sells 'glassware,' you've likely smelled patchouli, especially if they have an incense burner going.

Stirling Glastonbury and Los Angeles Shaving Soap Co Bespoke #1 are both very patchouli forward and earthy. I really like them, but I occasionally wear patchouli oil as fragrance.

My advice is to buy a sample pack of aftershaves that you are curious about so you can become a bit less "ignoramus".🙂

It looks like you’re in Edina.

The Linden Hills Co-op sells small vials of essential oils and has testers for many of them. I think they have both vetiver and patchouli you could smell.

Stirling Glastonbury and Los Angeles Shaving Soap Co Bespoke #1 are both very patchouli forward and earthy. I really like them, but I occasionally wear patchouli oil as fragrance.

My advice is to buy a sample pack of aftershaves that you are curious about so you can become a bit less "ignoramus".🙂
The Bespoke #1 shaving soap is also very peppery, or at least the early version I have is.

Aftershave and colognes usually have several scent notes blended together. So, it would be possible to have both vetiver and patchouli, mixed with citrus and some other things, for example Terre d'Hermes.

The best thing to do would be to find a place where you can smell the pure essential oils, or essential oils diluted in a neutral carrier oil.

Top Bottom