What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roadster by Cartier- Trying this one again, maybe for the last time. It reminds me of "mint" flavored medicine as a child or maybe Pepto Bismol.

$editions-parfums-vetiver-extraordinaire-lg-1.jpg

Baque
by Slumberhouse

I half-way expected the notes list to look something like this: iron-free cave spring water, select golden grains, sugar maple charcoal, toasted white oak

You might recognize that as the basics of Jack Daniels, which is absolutely what Baque smells like. Instead, the notes are listed as: smokey apricot, cedar, straw, vanilla, tobacco leaf, davana, ambergris tincture and parchment.

Realistically, I half-expected immortelle to come up, which is actually still possible even though it isn't listed. Regardless, this smells like a slightly vanillic, somewhat caramelized, distillation of toasted-grain, charcoal filtered, and aged in oak. And we're back to square one. Although targeted for women, this is definitely a man's fragrance, although I dated a girl that smelled like this all the time. Obviously I didn't marry her, but I think there's a place in my house for Baque, right near the pipes, smoking jackets, and brandy snifters.

proxy.php

Last edited:
proxy.php

Parfums de Rosine "Rose d'homme" EdP

...not a fresh rose scent that could be girlie but a well known rose "blend" with leather and wood, classy, deep, in the way of Guerlain's "Habit Rouge" or Rochas's "Globe" , not for wearing flip-flops and shorts...

Ambre Dore
by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier

styrax, geranium, clary sage, coriander, saffron, sandalwood, vetiver, myrrh, amber, oud

I wore this two days in a row just to be sure, but it's not for me. It smells remarkably similar to Cuir Fetiche in that they both have a vintage appeal but where CF has a more floral leather combination this one has a sweet powdery leather combination. At times I like it but most of the time I'm just not impressed. For me I think it's because I actually prefer my ambers on the spicy but dry side, perhaps a little animalic, like Goutal's Ambre Fetiche. Similarly, I like my ouds pretty much straight up or mixed into mukhallats (yes, I confess, I think I'm becoming a bit of an oud snob). But seriously I never really did care for Tom Ford's Oud Wood except that I liked it's peculiarity - I do however like M7 so I do have that to my credit. In Ambre Dore, the amber and oud really just come together in a sweet melange - there's some leather to it, the amber is obvious, but my mind is quickly trying to pull them apart and keep them separated. For all I know, it's the myrrh that's ruining it for me and not the amber or oud at all. Oh well, I think I might be the only one that isn't jumping out of my seat for this one.

proxy.php

Geez. I am disappointed to hear you do not like this one. This is my most favorite new scents for a very long time. To me an absolute home run from a house I generally really like/love. I am not sure I can break it down note-wise, and I have not read this description anywhere else, but it smells to me like some kind of post-modern MdM. Animalic with bright notes right up front. Evolving. A bit sweet in a way, but nothing not masculine about it. A real sense of old school, but saffron and the like are more modern notes to me. Elegant. Well-married to me.

I do not really know from oud or for that matter amber, for some reason. And I would not have said leather either. I would kind of like it if this were a polarizing scent. It blows me away, frankly! Very cool for it to be an example of YMMV!

Re Slumberhouse "Baque," I can tell I need to spend more time with it. I get the idea of tobacco and bourbon notes in it, but it does not seem all that pronounced to me. Just does not particularly grab me. Seems to have typical Slumberhouse house notes, which I respect. Funny how folks seem to really like particular Slumberhouse scents, even though one could argue that a number of them are pretty similar. Jeke grabs me. I like Norne, just not as much as Jeke. Baque may come next of this kind of group, with Vikt and Rume next. Grev is probably my second favorite Slumberhouse, but it is different from the foregoing, as is Sova and Pear and Oil.

I do need to spend more time with Baque, I guess, and I will! Maybe my nose is just shot these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom