What's new

Saying goodbye to my R41

So guys, I've been using the R41 for six months. I have coarse hair and a bit sensitive skin and shave every 2 days.

I have tried this razor with the following blades (had about 5 shaves with each one): Rapira platinum, Voskhod, BIC platinum, KAI, Gilette platinum, Ladas, Lord Cool, Asco, Silver Star, Shark SS, Shark Platinum, Astra SP, Astra SS, Derby, German WS an finally, the best blade for it imo: the Lord platinum.

I've barely had a comfortable shave it it. It tugs no matter what, it creates weepers no matter what. Yes, I used short quick strokes, long slow strokes, soft touch, everything. With milder blades, it just rips the hair straight out, with sharper ones it tugs anyway. Because there's something about the blade angle in this razor, it takes off so much skin. If you ride the guard it basically scratches your hair off your face, if you ride the cap, it's like using a dull shavette, if you stay at 30 degrees, it's still like scratching the hair off instead of cutting it. I've tried all possible angles, I only concluded that the guard has no purpose at all and it's basically just cosmetic.

And it's efficiency is overstated imo, it does not take everything off in one pass and one stroke like knife through butter, maybe it does if you have softer bristles. Shaving with a blade that is not coated will leave your face feeling like a snow plow ran over it.

I don't understand this razor, I don't know to whom I would recommend it too. This is not a critique of it, just my experience with it. Today I shaved with a BIC and the KCG and I had the best shave I've had in half a year, I'm glad I finally stopped trying to figure out this razor.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I hear you, and my experience with the R41 has been similar -- perhaps not quite as extreme. I just don't like the shave experience and results -- and that's coming from a guy with triple digit number of razors which range across pretty much every blade-style (e.g., DE, SE, AC, Valet, Injector, Straight Razor, Lather Catcher Wedge, and hair shaper blades). That said, I know A LOT of people who really enjoy their R41. Whether it's my technique (which I'm certainly willing to own) or just plain preference, the R41 makes the short list of "not for me" razors. This one definitely falls in my YMMV when I "recommend" and/or discuss this razor with others.

I sold mine as well after around 6 months of using it, because the shaving wasn't enjoyable even though the results were great and I still think that the R41 is the most efficient DE razor that i've ever used.

I've barely had a comfortable shave it it. It tugs no matter what, it creates weepers no matter what. Yes, I used short quick strokes, long slow strokes, soft touch, everything. With milder blades, it just rips the hair straight out, with sharper ones it tugs anyway. Because there's something about the blade angle in this razor, it takes off so much skin. If you ride the guard it basically scratches your hair off your face, if you ride the cap, it's like using a dull shavette, if you stay at 30 degrees, it's still like scratching the hair off instead of cutting it
I couldn’t have said it better! exactly my experience with the R41. I won’t lie that it provides some very long-lasting BBS shaves, but for me at a steep price. After a few days my face started to react badly. I’m glad I bought only the head for $20

I keep it around, maybe one day it can be useful if I decide to shave once a month

Maybe Give the Rocca a try, to keep things all Muhle. It’s still very efficient, but it shaves the hair instead of scraping it

...I'm glad I finally stopped trying to figure out this razor.

1631211562291.png

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I was thinking about a aggressive razor like the R41 myself and I do have a few but not the R41.
My thoughts on a aggressive razor is you have to slow down your strokes so not to nick yourself(chin area is telling area for myself) and by doing this your slicing of whiskers is not as efficient as a razor with momentum that will efficiently slice. Tugging can be either a dull blade or not enough momentum to smooth the action out.(skipping, jerking feeling)
There are razors out there that strike a nice balance of efficentcy with some aggression, the problem is finding that razor.
Adjustable razors might be a good option possibly that is built & designed to fine tune your wanted shave technique & results!

The problem with the R42 is that it is designed to only shave at one certain angle. Any deviation from this angle results in various uncomfortable outcomes. It’s basically a poor razor design. Any inference that it’s some kind of Mona Lisa is hogwash. There are lots of razors out there that are as efficient or better with lots of leeway in the angles of approach without causing injury or discomfort.
I have an R41 and I can shave with it, but why bother when I can pickup another razor that doesn’t ruin my shave enjoyment by demanding attentive concentration.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 It is one tuggy razor with the top cap it comes with.

With a SLOC top cap it's decent... But I've settled on the Timeless Ti Slim. Great feel, perfect nick-free shaves, total performance feel and 100% efficiency - 2nd pass is a waste of soap.

AA

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I started with a R89. Found it inefficient. Got a R41 and learned shaving the hard way. But loved it and still do.

But by now I indeed gut lots of easier to use and now forgiving razors that often even give a better shave. The feeling of exfoliation with the R41 is still a rare and outstanding quality, IMO.

I was totally with you till you mentioned the King C. Gillette.

Nothing wrong with this very good razor, it's a change to super mild though. Maybe try the middle of the road as well? 💡

You might like the Henson AL13 Medium and the Razorock Game Changer .84. one is milder, the other middle of the road.

There is no right or wrong with personal preference, I just think you went from one extreme end to the other. So many razors are in between. Finding your personal preference and favorite ballpark of characteristics can become expensive, it did for me, but it's an interesting journey for sure. 👍

Right now I am dreaming of an open comb version of the Wunderbar that has strong audible feedback. 😀

Are we talking about the original R41 or the current version? I have the current version and I have loved it since day 1. I don't shave with any other razor now. I have no irritation or problems with cuts. I love the close shaves I get with the R41!

Rocking a 2011 R41 for a decade now. I love it. Yes, it's dicey round the musache and tends to tug. Angle changes seem sufficient to address that. I use Polsilvers and Personna Labs.
I too am a long time user of the 2011 R41. I like it quite a bit better than the 2013 design. The zamak on mine started to rot after about a decade and that sent me here looking for alternatives. There are a lot of new razors on the market since I last looked.

Anyway, I was planning on breaking out the 2011 tomorrow for a change. I like it with Feather blades myself.

If you found a razor that works better for you, that's all you need. Some people chase ever more aggressive/efficient razors because they enjoy that. But just because a razor may be more aggressive doesn't mean it's better. Realizing that a milder razor is better for you doesn't make you any lesser than someone who prefers a more aggressive razor. Use what works for you and enjoy your shaves. 🙂

If you found a razor that works better for you, that's all you need. Some people chase ever more aggressive/efficient razors because they enjoy that. But just because a razor may be more aggressive doesn't mean it's better. Realizing that a milder razor is better for you doesn't make you any lesser than someone who prefers a more aggressive razor. Use what works for you and enjoy your shaves. 🙂
Agree completely. It's not that the old R41 is more manly or anything. It was actually my first DE razor because I figured if I learned with it, I'd be capable with anything. And while it's "aggressive" I've actually cut myself more with my Feather SS than with the R41. So at least in my hands, the SS requires more skill to use well.

Thus, the R41 is a testament not to my skill, but to the lack of it. A skilled user can shave well with almost anything. Me? The R41 and my artist club are about the only things I'm reasonably good with.

Agree completely. It's not that the old R41 is more manly or anything. It was actually my first DE razor because I figured if I learned with it, I'd be capable with anything. And while it's "aggressive" I've actually cut myself more with my Feather SS than with the R41. So at least in my hands, the SS requires more skill to use well.

Thus, the R41 is a testament not to my skill, but to the lack of it. A skilled user can shave well with almost anything. Me? The R41 and my artist club are about the only things I'm reasonably good with.
A slip and a nasty cut with my Feather Artist Club DX was what lead me down the path of DE razors and to the 2011 R41. I think Artist Clubs require a lot more skill than any DE I've used. I can still use a AC, but DEs just seem a touch more consistent given my level of skill with the AC and the time I have available to shave in the morning.

Top Bottom