What's new

Saying goodbye to my R41

After reading this thread, I decided to dust-off my R41 for this morning’s shave. Even if it’s been one of my favorite razors and a permanent fixture in my rotation for a long, long time, it hasn’t seen much use lately…

The shave was uneventful, I think I know this razor pretty well by know, and the results outstanding. DFS+/BBS- with my usual two pass routine (WTG and XTG) plus some buffing and cleanup at the end.

Nothing bad to say about this razor really, no irritation, no nasty nicks or cuts, no pulling or tugging (for me), and one of the closest-shaving razors I’ve ever tried. The only place where it “fails”, imho, is that it simply does not afford a pleasurable and enjoyable shave (very subjective, I know).

This is why 99% of my shaves nowadays go to my Karves (OC-F and SB-G) and to my Fatips OC (I prefer the Piccolo over the Grande). They have almost all the positive attributes of the R41 plus a really enjoyable shaving experience, which seals the deal for me.

Even so, the R41 will not be leaving my den any time soon…

Got the R41 head a while ago to mount it on my ikon 85mm SS handle but havet o admit it is on the edge for me I can only use it with +3 days of growth with a very light touch

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
@Rivers23 - I have the R41 and R41 Twist and can use either without issue.

My personal evaluation of the R41 and R41 Twist using the Efficient + Smooth = Effective criteria:
Efficient = High
Smooth = Moderate -
Effective = Moderate +

But please remember, no razor is perfect for all shavers. If the R41 doesn't complement your face, whiskers and technique, by all means move on. Life is too short to have bad shaves.

If you are interested in staying with Mühle, the Rocca R95 V4 is an excellent razor that, in my opinion, balances efficiency and smoothness for a very effective shave.

Great post here. I find the R41 to be crazy efficient, but it lets you know it's there, and some folks don't care for that.
@Rivers23 - I have the R41 and R41 Twist and can use either without issue.

My personal evaluation of the R41 and R41 Twist using the Efficient + Smooth = Effective criteria:
Efficient = High
Smooth = Moderate -
Effective = Moderate +

But please remember, no razor is perfect for all shavers. If the R41 doesn't complement your face, whiskers and technique, by all means move on. Life is too short to have bad shaves.

If you are interested in staying with Mühle, the Rocca R95 V4 is an excellent razor that, in my opinion, balances efficiency and smoothness for a very effective shave.

I have an R41 as well and don't find it all that great. I can get a decent shave from it, but it's not overly comfortable....a bit rough. I much prefer my Blackbird for comfort and closeness.

Maybe time to move on.....or put it away for a while and come back to it later. I have come back to razors after several months of not using them and all of a sudden they click.

I have an R41 as well and don't find it all that great. I can get a decent shave from it, but it's not overly comfortable....a bit rough. I much prefer my Blackbird for comfort and closeness.

Maybe time to move on.....or put it away for a while and come back to it later. I have come back to razors after several months of not using them and all of a sudden they click.
Kind of sounds like you're breaking up with a girlfriend. ;)

I suggest you downshift with a Rocca :cuppa:

Same family, younger sister of R41, curvier and longer :biggrin1:

roccavsr41.jpeg

So guys, I've been using the R41 for six months. I have coarse hair and a bit sensitive skin and shave every 2 days.

I have tried this razor with the following blades (had about 5 shaves with each one): Rapira platinum, Voskhod, BIC platinum, KAI, Gilette platinum, Ladas, Lord Cool, Asco, Silver Star, Shark SS, Shark Platinum, Astra SP, Astra SS, Derby, German WS an finally, the best blade for it imo: the Lord platinum.

I've barely had a comfortable shave it it. It tugs no matter what, it creates weepers no matter what. Yes, I used short quick strokes, long slow strokes, soft touch, everything. With milder blades, it just rips the hair straight out, with sharper ones it tugs anyway. Because there's something about the blade angle in this razor, it takes off so much skin. If you ride the guard it basically scratches your hair off your face, if you ride the cap, it's like using a dull shavette, if you stay at 30 degrees, it's still like scratching the hair off instead of cutting it. I've tried all possible angles, I only concluded that the guard has no purpose at all and it's basically just cosmetic.

And it's efficiency is overstated imo, it does not take everything off in one pass and one stroke like knife through butter, maybe it does if you have softer bristles. Shaving with a blade that is not coated will leave your face feeling like a snow plow ran over it.

I don't understand this razor, I don't know to whom I would recommend it too. This is not a critique of it, just my experience with it. Today I shaved with a BIC and the KCG and I had the best shave I've had in half a year, I'm glad I finally stopped trying to figure out this razor.
The only good shaves I get with the R41 are with Feather blades. Because the R41 isn't all that aggressive. I get bbs shaves with the Merkur Futur with any blade at 0.5 or 1.0 exposure. If I use a mild blade with the R41, it feels almost too smooth. Even with a Feather I have to go over my trouble spots more often than with the Futur.

I would give a slant razor a try it combines efficiency with smoothness
Especially with course hair and sensitive skin and the use of extra slickness in shaving soap and pre-shave should help as well

So guys, I've been using the R41 for six months. I have coarse hair and a bit sensitive skin and shave every 2 days.

I have tried this razor with the following blades (had about 5 shaves with each one): Rapira platinum, Voskhod, BIC platinum, KAI, Gilette platinum, Ladas, Lord Cool, Asco, Silver Star, Shark SS, Shark Platinum, Astra SP, Astra SS, Derby, German WS an finally, the best blade for it imo: the Lord platinum.

I've barely had a comfortable shave it it. It tugs no matter what, it creates weepers no matter what. Yes, I used short quick strokes, long slow strokes, soft touch, everything. With milder blades, it just rips the hair straight out, with sharper ones it tugs anyway. Because there's something about the blade angle in this razor, it takes off so much skin. If you ride the guard it basically scratches your hair off your face, if you ride the cap, it's like using a dull shavette, if you stay at 30 degrees, it's still like scratching the hair off instead of cutting it. I've tried all possible angles, I only concluded that the guard has no purpose at all and it's basically just cosmetic.

And it's efficiency is overstated imo, it does not take everything off in one pass and one stroke like knife through butter, maybe it does if you have softer bristles. Shaving with a blade that is not coated will leave your face feeling like a snow plow ran over it.

I don't understand this razor, I don't know to whom I would recommend it too. This is not a critique of it, just my experience with it. Today I shaved with a BIC and the KCG and I had the best shave I've had in half a year, I'm glad I finally stopped trying to figure out this razor.
This is my first post, had to reset my password because it’s been a long time since I followed anything shaving related!
I used to lurk here, and I tried more then one thing that was recommended.
( Talking to you, Clubman Pinoid Vegatal…🤮 )
But I had to respond, to your opinion of the R41. Total agreement. My third razor was a Merkur Slant, and I’ve never looked back or considered anything else.
I gave it to a double edge shaver I got interested into all this. I remember him saying it wasn’t for him, either. He passed it on too. Maybe there arenonly two or three R41’s out there, and we are all just “passing them along?”

Top Bottom