What's new

Save a blade? Supposed disposable razor sharpener?

I remember some years back there was a small pyramid you could buy that kept your blades sharp, through pyramid power.

Legitimate products are not sold through infomercials.
proxy.php

Making it all mail-in crap makes it easy for them to screw you on the return policy.

You can't sharpen an edge from 1 side only, you have to be able to work on both sides or you just create a burr with no way to remove it.

its just the latest "snake oil"

but theres tons of old DE blade honing devices out there that were discarted after gillette started pushing those plastic skin rippers on men, i remember when i recived my parker 96r, i showed it to my door man, and he started telling me stories from when he was in the spanish army and couldnt afford DE blades, they would hone them on whatever piece of leather they could find

Yep, can't really see that one working....like the poster above mentioned, try sharpening the crap out of only one side of a knife and see what happens. :eek:

You can't sharpen an edge from 1 side only, you have to be able to work on both sides or you just create a burr with no way to remove it.

I'm 100% in agreement. Now that having been said, I'm not sure that this particular gizmo actually does nothing. It may do something useful.

It looks like it's a stropping type gizmo rather than a honing gizmo.

Given that it seems to strop only on one side it's rather limited, but that having been said, it seems to me that it may well be that cartridge razor blades may develop a burr on the "outside" edge of the blade, in other words since they cut only in one direction and always shave in that direction, it may be that the way that these blades dull may well result in a burr curling up from the back side of the blade toward the front. If that's so, then stropping the front edge of the blade may actually do something.

It also strikes me that I don't know what type of edge cartridge blades actually have. I've never looked. Are they single edge single bevel? If so, stropping one side may work, it won't work fabulously well, but it may straighten the edge of the blade at least somewhat.

In any event, I'm wedded to my DE blades and I won't be having a fling with this gizmo.

I posted about this thing when it first came out and Mantic bought one to play with I wonder how that turned out.

Definite ***. Right up there with the Ronco Record Vacuum and the Buttoneer (Also As Seen On TV!).

Top Bottom