What's new

Satchel? Man Purse? Shoulder Bag?

If you want to carry a bag, that's your choice. I'm not really commenting on that. But here's my question. And it's directed to men carrying a "man purse" or teenageers w/ backpacks filled to the brim. When I was a kid/teenager (1970's/80's), I carried nothing. Literally nothing, except cash (if I had any!)

What the heck are you people carrying in there? Holy smokes.

I'm an attorney in a large Eastern US city. The only bag I ever carry is a trial bag with a legal file in it. (Or if the file is really big, the trial bag is on wheels.) And I only carry it to & from court.

On a regular jaunt through the city, all I have is my smart phone on a "holster" on my belt, my wallet in my right inner coat (suit) pocket and my keys and 1 pen in my left inner coat (suit) pocket. That's it. And that's when I'm fully outfitted. Sometimes I don't even carry a wallet and only a money clip w/ some cash.

So really, what are you guys carrying in those bags? A toothbrush & toothpaste, dental floss, aspirin, change of socks, blow dryer, short wave radio? Are the items you carry that essential to carry around with you all day? Yikes!

Since you asked:

right front pants pocket: knife (large folder); mustache wax; mustache comb; small multi-tool
left front pants pocket: flashlight; lip balm
left rear pants pcoket: bandana
right rear pants pocket: billfold & comb
around neck: knife (ESEE Izula)
on belt: phone & large multi-tool (when possible - pistol & extra mag)

in 'man bag' (Maxpedition Jumbo):
7" tablet
charging cord for tablet & phone
hand-held radio (VHF/UHF) & antenna
first aid kit
camera
waterbottle
small repair kit
extra mustache grooming stuff
maybe other stuff; varies from day to day

Hope this helps, Greg/Grizhicks

I have been carrying a satchel for about 11 years now, I had a 12" powerbook back in college and it would fit in my Marmot Walkabout perfectly so I used that instead of a backpack. I still use the Marmot for weekends and my part time job, it always has: sunglasses, chapstick, a pill bottle (of ibuprofen, sudafed, benadryl, excedrin), pen, headphones, sharpie, moleskin, small tape measure, leatherman, and a few cliff bars. Then I add in either iPad mini or kindle, work shirt, and a water bottle. It will also fit my DSLR if I'm wandering around snapping photos.
$f_82765_1.1.jpg

Then for working at a school I carry a large Timbuk2 messenger it has charging cables, sharpie, pen, chapstick, various usb / ethernet cables I may need while going around the district, water bottle, headphones, usb flash drives, SSD external drive, lock pick set, and my work keys. It also houses my work laptop, iPad, kindle, and my lunch. I have fit 7 MacBooks in it as well on occasion.

$Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 9.02.51 AM.png
It may seem like overkill, but it's super handy to be able to toss everything in and take off without having to think whether or not I forgot something. I also try to not use plastic bags so there is generally a few fold up totes in there if I happen to buy something larger than what will fit in my bag.

Been rocking a saddleback classic briefcase in chestnut for some time now. I get compliments on it wherever I go. It's expensive, but will outlive you.

I finally broke down and ordered the Saddleback Leather Satchel. With the 100 Year Warranty, I better be sure to put it in my will. :001_tongu

I have the medium satchel in dark coffee brown. I have used it every day for work for the last eight months and love it! I think you'll be very happy.

Saddleback classic briefcase in dark coffee brown. It's basically a part of me now. I can't go to work or travel without it.

anyone own any SFBags/Waterfield Designs products? I was looking at the hardcase or the Muzetto bag, either in leather or waxed canvas 10" or 11" model

I am having a hard time deciding, torn between an over the shoulder or briefcase style. I think the Muzetto may provide some versatility between office and weekend/travel, but the Hardcase seems to carry some class to its design, more professional for work.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/muzetto/muzetto.php

http://www.sfbags.com/products/hardcase/hardcase.php

I got the

Flap Zip Crossbody
Style #: 22112 by Tumi for late spring to early fall. All other time I just put everything into my jacket pockets.

European style wallet (think checkbook size)
iPad mini
iPhone
House and car keys
charger for iPhone / ipad
business card holder
lip balm
bluetooth headset with case (case is clam-shell style... People think it's a women's compact...lol)
eye drops
sunglass case
bottle of water

SWMBO gave me a Kenneth Cole Reaction Messenger/Laptop bag for Christmas (thanks, babe!). I love it. Soft brown leather and enough compartments to hold everything.

Just arrived today...Waxed Canvas 10inch Muzzetto Bag (copper accent) from Waterfield Designs (sfbags.com)...wonderful customer service, clear quality design...should last quite a long time...

I have large Saddleback satchel. Shoulder strap is not of much use as it is so slick it slides off shoulder easily, unless you extend the neck and use it cross chest. I see what looks like a newer model called the front pocket briefcase which looks ideal to me.

Last edited:
If you want to carry a bag, that's your choice. I'm not really commenting on that. But here's my question. And it's directed to men carrying a "man purse" or teenageers w/ backpacks filled to the brim. When I was a kid/teenager (1970's/80's), I carried nothing. Literally nothing, except cash (if I had any!)

What the heck are you people carrying in there? Holy smokes.
When I go out I carry wallet, phone, keys. That's about it. Sometimes I'll even use a travel wallet or pouch to cut down on the bulk of the wallet. I really hate carrying stuff on my person, so I don't carry much. If I was concerned for my personal safety I would carry a knife.

Now when I travel with gear--either to work (I sometimes walk) or running errands where I have to drop off/pick up stuff, I use a backpack. I picked up a new GR1 off eBay, and it has more than enough room for a laptop, files and lunch (when traveling to work) or library books, packages, and grocer items (when running errands). If I don't absolutely need it it stays in the car.

I can even use it as an overnight bag, with the addition of packing cubes. I love packing cubes.

$IMG_1584.jpg$IMG_1587.jpg$IMG_1585.jpg$IMG_1586.jpg

Ill give it a shot:
Current book, current magazine, clipboard, Sigg water bottle, moleskine notebook(for scribbling blog entries), Rhodia pad( from when I was a student last year, still use to draft letters etc), pen roll with fountain pens highlighter, mechanical pen and sharpie, sunglasses, sunglasses cleaning stuff, stress ball, steel ruler, phone charger, thumb drive with lanyard, hand sanitizer, medications, moo cards, nail scissors etc, jewellers loupe.

I'm debating getting my first messenger bag, since to date I'm used to carrying around a backpack (which has its advantages, but the idea of a wider, shallower bag is appealing). I'm thinking of this -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLUVK1Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AW5HK655TBNJP

$3f27225345f5bc92a142390938ee3ca9.jpg

If I do get this, I wonder what the overall quality will be. I've seen virtually identical bags "Made In China" for around $10-20 less, with varying reports on quality. I can't tell if this particular bag is also made in China or in the US. I may well end up ordering it and seeing how it works.

Okay, I have discovered a bag that looks incredibly cool . . . thought I'd post a pic.

proxy.php

Definitely expensive, but it looks like something that should last a lifetime.

For those of you with "expensive" bags, how do you treat them? More specifically, how do you get over the "this is too nice to actually use and/or might get stolen so I don't use it" phenomenon? I have a leather duffel that I haven't used in decades for precisely that reason . . . On the other hand, this might be the coolest bag I've seen . . . maybe ever.

Top Bottom